• 47 Replies

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Am I sick? I don't think so.
« on: March 15, 2007, 09:56:19 AM »
Hi all,

Just here to tell you about my crazy physique. My Hb is not going up these days, in fact it reduced down one point after a transfusion from 6 g/dl to 5 g/dl. Although I feel like a million bucks :biggrin
except for the part of climbing up a flight of stairs which seem to kill my legs half way through.

My doctor prescribed me a battery of tests after two transfusions and today I got the results. Here they are:

Serum Urea: 40mg/dl (normal 10-50 mg/dl) This one is clear
Serum Creatinine: 0.9 (<1.4 mg/dl) Below the max mark but a bit high.
SGPT(ALT): 128 u/l  (norm 0-43 u/l) This is high!!
Hb: 8.8 g/dl (norm 14-18g/dl) After two Tx. it is still too low.
WBC (T.L.C) 2200 /cmm (norm. 4000-11000/cmm) Quite low but I don't feel sick, in fact I am the only healthy person in the house!! everyone else in the house has caught a cold except me :grin
E.S.R: 38(norm 0-9) I am experiencing pain in joints these days. Maybe this is the reason why.
Serum Ferritin: >1000 ng/ml (norm 17.9-464 ng/ml) Off-scale reading!!! :o Now I know why the metal detectors at the airport go berserk when I pass through them!!! :rotfl

It's a good thing that the doctor wasn't in his seat (like always in a govt. hosp.) otherwise the lab technician had classified me as a REALLY SICK person and the doc. would have admitted me. Even though I feel nice! (Like sugar and Spice! :wink) I really love that song by the Great (Late) James Brown.

Well, that's it for now. I have to visit my doctor's private clinic and show him the results. Let's see if I am able to go tonight or some day else. I hate following doctors and I should have settled it this morning if he had been in his office at the hospital.

Take care guys, Peace!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
Re: Am I sick? I don't think so.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 11:08:34 AM »
hi sajid,
it's zaini here,u seem like a brave person, i m getting some inspiration really,i hope everything will be ok with you inshallah.bye.zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 12:58:41 PM »
Wow, Sajid.  How do you function on such a low hemoglobin?  :shocked  When I had gotten down that low in the past, I felt like I was dying.   ???

You need to get that white count back up! That can potentially be dangerous, especially if it gets any lower.   :sadyup

How high off the scale is your ferritin?  Do you know what it is, or do they just tell you that it's off the scale?  :huh

I'm glad that you are feeling ok for the most part, but your bones are probably hurting you because you need more blood.  :(

I'm concerned about the other lab values as well.  I hope you talk to your doctor about them soon.  :hugfriend

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 02:36:06 PM »
Hi Zaini,

:welcome to the site and thanks for your comments. It really gives me more courage to push the limits and go for the extra mileage :biggrin

I bet it's the unconditional love and support of this group that gives me hope and will-power to not let myself give up to Thalassemia. We have a long list of friends that are inspiration to each and everyone else that are grouped together on this site.

So, tell us about yourself and feel free to ask anything that you have in mind.

Take care, Allah Hafiz!
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 03:01:10 PM »
Hi Danielle,

After the 2 g/dl episode several years ago, these current levels feel nothing :)

I'll try to meet my doctor as soon as I find him (Looks like I have to camp outside his clinic till then :rotfl )

The Serum Ferritin levels of the Lab is limited to 1000ng/ml It says >1000ng/ml on the machine output.

Today I went to this new Thal. Center "Jamila Sultana Foundation" thanks to one of our new member "Asim" who guided me there and introduced me to the staff. They took a blood sample and told me that they will send it to their special lab to get the exact SF reading which will take some time. So, I'll have to wait for it for a while.

I have to say that I am really impressed by both Asim and the Foundation. Asim is such a nice fellow and he has a lot of passion to help Thal. patients.

The Foundation is The Best private organisation that is operating for Thal. in the city. They have such a wonderful setup and is superbly operated and managed by passionate staff who work with all their dedication for the welfare of Thal. Patients. I'm really impressed. :clap

Thanks for your advice about these joint pains, I definitely need more refueling to do. 8.8 g/dl is really putting a stress on my body no matter how strong my will is.

Take care, Peace!
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 07:35:27 PM »
hello Sajid

My heart goes for you . Wish you will be well soon and i am sure you will inshallah.

Please keep us updated

Take care :wink
Manal

Offline alnahrahmea

• Thal Mom from the Philippines
  • This is my God's gift and warrior in us. :)
    • Princess SHINE's KINGDOM
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 03:31:21 AM »
Hi all,

Just here to tell you about my crazy physique. My Hb is not going up these days, in fact it reduced down one point after a transfusion from 6 g/dl to 5 g/dl. Although I feel like a million bucks :biggrin
except for the part of climbing up a flight of stairs which seem to kill my legs half way through.

My doctor prescribed me a battery of tests after two transfusions and today I got the results. Here they are:

Serum Urea: 40mg/dl (normal 10-50 mg/dl) This one is clear
Serum Creatinine: 0.9 (<1.4 mg/dl) Below the max mark but a bit high.
SGPT(ALT): 128 u/l  (norm 0-43 u/l) This is high!!
Hb: 8.8 g/dl (norm 14-18g/dl) After two Tx. it is still too low.
WBC (T.L.C) 2200 /cmm (norm. 4000-11000/cmm) Quite low but I don't feel sick, in fact I am the only healthy person in the house!! everyone else in the house has caught a cold except me :grin
E.S.R: 38(norm 0-9) I am experiencing pain in joints these days. Maybe this is the reason why.
Serum Ferritin: >1000 ng/ml (norm 17.9-464 ng/ml) Off-scale reading!!! :o Now I know why the metal detectors at the airport go berserk when I pass through them!!! :rotfl

It's a good thing that the doctor wasn't in his seat (like always in a govt. hosp.) otherwise the lab technician had classified me as a REALLY SICK person and the doc. would have admitted me. Even though I feel nice! (Like sugar and Spice! :wink) I really love that song by the Great (Late) James Brown.

Well, that's it for now. I have to visit my doctor's private clinic and show him the results. Let's see if I am able to go tonight or some day else. I hate following doctors and I should have settled it this morning if he had been in his office at the hospital.

Take care guys, Peace!

Wow Sajid, you inspire me a lot!!!  :biggrin  Just keep it up.  Even if they say you are a REALLY SICK person at least you're not showing it and that brings hope for everyone else around you and joy to those who are assisting you in the hospital.  :wink God Bless you!  :smiley
Lei  :heartpink

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 06:45:24 AM »
Thanks Manal and Lei,

I'm doing fine.

Last night I finally caught up with my doctor in his private clinic and showed him the test results. After reading them and a couple of Hmmms... later he just said that, "You need some liver treatment and come to the Hospital after weekend for a blood Transfusion and I'll tell you there what to do."

:mad What does he mean by saying that?!?! :pissedoff

Well, I'm off again to another wild Doc. chase and lets hope that I will be able to catch him this time in his Hospital office.

When I asked him about the pain in my joints, he just say that take MultiVitamin pills and I'll be fine.

So, that's about it for now.

Thanks for your motivating messages.

Take care, Peace!
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline alnahrahmea

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 07:17:31 AM »
Good to hear that Sajid!

Anyway, I also experience pain in my joints ocassionally, especially the part near my shoulder blades, and my doctor said I have osteoarthritis. I am not just sure if that's normal for Thals in general.

I hope your liver treatment goes all well.  God bless still!  :smiley

Thanks Manal and Lei,

I'm doing fine.

Last night I finally caught up with my doctor in his private clinic and showed him the test results. After reading them and a couple of Hmmms... later he just said that, "You need some liver treatment and come to the Hospital after weekend for a blood Transfusion and I'll tell you there what to do."

:mad What does he mean by saying that?!?! :pissedoff

Well, I'm off again to another wild Doc. chase and lets hope that I will be able to catch him this time in his Hospital office.

When I asked him about the pain in my joints, he just say that take MultiVitamin pills and I'll be fine.

So, that's about it for now.

Thanks for your motivating messages.

Take care, Peace!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 08:08:08 AM by alnahrahmea »

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 07:57:42 AM »
Osteo problems are common in thals. It's important to take a calcium supplement which includes magnesium. Vitamin D is also necessary for calcium absorption. It is recommended that thals have bone density scans, especially if osteo is suspected. Bone pain can also be related to low hemoglobin, which in turn can lead to osteo.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 08:09:02 AM »
Hello,

Today I went to the hospital for a blood transfusion. I asked for the doctor since he told me in his private clinic to meet him here today.

Guess what happened?

Yep, he was NOT THERE AGAIN!!! :tantrum

Anyway another doctor came to our ward and I showed her the above mentioned reports. She did the physical examination of my spleen and liver and both of them were 8 cms. She also said that I required splenectomy :quiver

Is the report THAT BAD? :wah

This has lowered my morale very much and I feel beat  :( :sigh

Take care, Peace!
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 04:33:59 AM »
Sajid,

Your spleen is enlarged but not yet near the size where it would normally be removed. However, your recent low Hb indicates that your spleen is most likely filtering out your red blood cells at a faster rate than previously. I don't think you should rush to have it removed unless it continues to enlarge and your Hb remains low. Has there been anything recent that may have stressed your body? Changes in diet, nutrition, eating habits, exercise, sleep, colds or infections, etc? Many people live with enlarged spleens and it doesn't help with the low HB in many people who do have it removed. If it does become too large you won't have a choice but right now you should talk to others, read the many posts about splenectomy and find out more why your doctor thinks it should be removed.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 04:47:07 AM »
I agree with Andy, Sajid.  My spleen is 14cm and my doctors STILL do not want to remove it.  We should hold onto it as long as we can, until it's really necessary to have it removed.  I don't understand the need for you to have a splenectomy at that size, unless you cannot keep your counts up at all with regular transfusion.  How long do you wait between transfusions?   ???

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 07:45:13 AM »
Hi guys,

I normally go fortnightly for transfusions but since the last month I have to go weekly as first my Hb before the Transx was 6.2 then 5.8 and finally 8.8 and yesterday I got another Transx. I don't know what my Hb is will get it checked soon when the weather gets better for me to get out. Now I will go after 2 weeks and get a fresh blood (own donor) transfusion as I have a hunch that since the last transfusion made a sudden boost in Hb; the ones before it were not as fresh as they should be.

I really need to find some solid points to convince my doc. to not to take my spleen out, but they only believe that low T.L.C and PLT + no infections = Bad Spleen

:(

Take care, Peace!
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline alnahrahmea

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 07:55:57 AM »
Hello,

Today I went to the hospital for a blood transfusion. I asked for the doctor since he told me in his private clinic to meet him here today.

Guess what happened?

Yep, he was NOT THERE AGAIN!!! :tantrum

Anyway another doctor came to our ward and I showed her the above mentioned reports. She did the physical examination of my spleen and liver and both of them were 8 cms. She also said that I required splenectomy :quiver

Is the report THAT BAD? :wah

This has lowered my morale very much and I feel beat  :( :sigh

Take care, Peace!

Hey Sajid don't feel so bad about your large spleen mine is 9.3 cms., but so far I feel alright!  :smiley

Don't feel beat with sad news like that, you see your attitude counts a lot when you are with Thalassemia.  Take it from me!  :wink

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk