FERROPROX

• 25 Replies

Offline Irfee

Re: FERROPROX
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 10:13:11 PM »
Thank you Sir Andy,Narendra,Omega and my country fellow Zainy on convincing me about BMT.The way u people are encouraging me is really pleasing as yet not my own family members,rlatives and consultant have supporting me on this issue of BMT.Anyway once again thanx.Lets see what happnes in future.
Irfee

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2007, 11:11:40 AM »
hello all
please tell me from where i can get the ferroprox in India and which company it belongs.

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2007, 11:46:13 AM »
Hi Rutuja,

welcome on this forum  :welcome

i believe ferriprox is available in India by the name of kelfer,is widely known,and is manufactured by Cipla India,i hope you'd find it quite easily.i suggest you to talk to your heamotologist about that,as he'll tell you about the dosage and side effects.

TAKE CARE.

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2007, 05:31:38 PM »
Hi,

You can contact Cipla, the makers of Kelfer and ask them where you can get it locally.

Address:

Cipla Ltd.
Mumbai Central
Mumbai 400 008
India

Telephone:

2308 2891
2309 5521

Fax:

91 22 2307 0013
91 22 2307 0393
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Ash

• Thalassaemia WS
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 07:14:32 AM »
In addition, taking L1 with food may help reduce nausea

I am sorry to disagree with this point. FYI the drug L1/Kelfer/Deferiprone has to be given 1-2 hours before or after a meal.

This information has not made it down the chain. I wonder why doctors dont know about this and why they dont inform this to thals while they prescribe it.

Ashish

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 08:12:49 AM »
:agree

Our doctor also advises this for Ferrinill (Same thing as L1). Most of the patients are on twice daily regime. When you wake up and next before sleeping...or is it before waking up and next after sleeping :huh :biggrin
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Smurfette

• Me and my Goddaughter
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 04:37:25 AM »
I DISAGREE WITH YOU ASHISH THERE..I TAKE MY DEFERIPRONE BEFORE BREAKFAST AND AFTER LUNCH...

IF YOU DO GET NAUSEAS FROM TAKING IT WE ARE TOLD TO TAKE IT AFTER FOOD WHICH I THINK IS BETTER FOR ALL..

PLUS I SHOULD KNOW..I WORK IN PHARMACY!!!

Offline Ash

• Thalassaemia WS
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 11:40:12 AM »
I DISAGREE WITH YOU ASHISH THERE..I TAKE MY DEFERIPRONE BEFORE BREAKFAST AND AFTER LUNCH...

Nausea is irrelevant to this conversation, I was talking about gap of 1 or 2 hours before or after a meal.

you cant take the pill soon after wolf down a whole meal after that if you are doing that then its not right. It will not cause a side-effect but the drug will be less effective. Read the contraindications for the drug.

Sajid, how can you take pill after sleeping  :rotfl

Offline Smurfette

• Me and my Goddaughter
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2007, 11:55:13 AM »
Well if I am taking it wrong..then why is my ferritin at 300?

Sajid I take it three times a day and I take 5 tablets...We have cut down on my dosage again...

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2007, 01:10:49 PM »
Ash,

or is it before waking up and next after sleeping :huh :biggrin

It's a mystery that has yet to be solved :wink
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Isis

• Ash and me
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2007, 06:50:10 AM »
Firstly,  it may be called Ferriprox in some countries, since a couple years......but it has been around as Kelfer couple decades.

Kelfer, L1 ................thals in India are the people who tried this drug first of all, and  have a long-term experience with it, and so you see it deemed viable for all others today.

So Ash just might know better, he has tried this drug when noone knew better. Kelfer has been a trial drug and trial drugs have not much to do with pharmacies.  In fact even now, we do not get Kelfer at the pharmacy.

" I should  know better" is one of the most scary phrases I get to hear...............esp. as a kid from the doctors. We all know about thal and new trial drugs ..........EXPERIENCE, people who have tried it know better than doctors.  I know I would not have survived if I'd thought doctors knew better than my parents.   

'Better for all' is an absolutist regime which democracies do not prescribe to.....TO EACH HIS OWN, I say.

All of you on Kelfer, you have to go through some trial and experience to find out what dosage suits you..............................which should  not exceed 75 mg/ kg of your total body weight in any case.
Watch out for any side- effects by having a monthly CBC done. 

To a large extent nausea is to do with nervousness and p'gical effects but yes Kelfer is very bitter if it rises up on ya. 
So to those who feel sick, you can take it after  a meal, not with it.  For the rest, it is better to take it on an empty stomach, as Ash says, for max. effect.  Like Sajid says , sometime after waking up and before sleeping is good, but nothing is a hard and fast rule. So just take it easy ..... :wink

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk