Conference in California

• 9 Replies

Offline Christine Mary

• Mother of Lauryn, who has Thal Major
Conference in California
« on: April 15, 2007, 06:34:16 AM »
Hi Family!

Is anyone going to the thal conference in california next week?

My family  an I will be there, and I am so excited. My cousin Kathleen seems to think it will be a depressing and sad experience, But I am looking so forward to meeting and seeing all of the healthy thals and their families!! I'm also hoping to make life-long friends. I cannot wait to hear success stories, and to see how great everyone looks and is doing.

Btw, Long story short... In Starbucks (coffee shop) I met a woman whos best friend is a Thal Major!!! Here in Arizona. We were chit chatting about our little girls, and somehow thal came up. When I began explaining it, she said her best friend has it, and she just had a baby. It was awesome to talk to her. Her words exactly were:"You can handle this. This is manageable. She will be fine". That was the best coffee I ever had :)

Lauryn's Mom

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
Re: Conference in California
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 12:23:36 PM »
Hello Christine :) .

i wish i was abale to attend this conference,please do share with us what ever u hear and see.

waitnig for your posts :)

my love for lauryn. :hugfriend

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 05:20:18 PM »
Hi Christine,

I think Zadkhi said she'd also be attending. I think you will probably also run into a few others that use this site. The conferences are actually very uplifting experiences and not at all depressing. You'll be very happy you went. The doctors alone are well worth seeing and meeting everyone is a bonus.  :biggrin
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 05:15:57 PM »
WHERE IN CALIFORNIA WILL THIS TAKE PLACE???

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 05:20:46 PM »
That conference took place on April 21, 2007.

http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=581.0
Andy

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 05:51:02 PM »
Hi Miltswifey,

What part of California are you located in? If you are anywhere near Oakland, they have one of the best thal centers in the world at Oakland Children's Hospital.
Andy

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 11:41:49 PM »
well unfortunately i'm not i'm in los angeles.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 02:56:27 AM »
Hi Miltswifey,

One of the centers of excellence for thalassemia is in Los Angeles. If you don't already go there, you can contact them at

Thomas Coates, MD
http://www.childrenshospitalla.org/body.cfm?xyzpdqabc=0&id=52&action=detail&ref=93
Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA
Ph: (323) 669-2352
Fax: (323) 660-9321

The comprehensive care programs offered at the centers of excellence are setting the standard for thal care and are a model many other centers are striving to follow. Any patient who can, should be in a comprehensive care program.
Andy

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 04:18:29 AM »
i can go to a children's hospital as an adult??

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 04:43:41 AM »
Yes, adults are also referred to the Children's Hospitals for thal treatment. This dates back to the period, not long ago, when most patients did not live much past childhood. The system needs to change to accommodate adult patients but for now, adults are also treated at children's centers. Marientina recently referred to the LA Children's Hospital in her post at

http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=710.msg8210#msg8210

If you need a consultation, consider calling Children's Hospital in LA (they also see adults for thal) and they are one of four major CDC centers for Thalassemia in the US. You would need to see Dr. Coates or one of his excellent RN's.
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk