Got any idea????

• 9 Replies

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Got any idea????
« on: April 20, 2007, 12:36:19 AM »
Hi,

i am a thal minor with iron deficiency ( as you all know all this was recently discoverd) At that time my Hb was 9 and the iron level was 39 ( normal was 72- 180). Then i took iron pills 567.7 mg for  40 days and stopped for a while then i did another CBC . My HB increased to 11 and the iron decreased and became 25.  ??? ??? Any explaination

Manal

Offline Courtenay1826

• Mommy to Karol & Mychael
  • Thal Minor (with symptoms!)
Re: Got any idea????
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 03:56:48 AM »
Manal -

Did you take tea with your iron? I take tea with my iron to make sure it doesn't overabsorb in the gut, but the iron has a small amount of vitamin C to ensure proper absorbency in the stomach, not the gut.  If your iron supplement does not have vitamin c for absorption help, and you are drinking tea or coffee with it, it will diminish the body's ability to absorb.

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 05:13:36 AM »
Hi Manal,

Another explanation could be that your Iron is being converted from free Iron to Hb in the red cells thus reducing the stored free Iron that reflects in the SF tests.

Just replenish your Iron stock with supplements or red meat and add lemon to your tea. :yum :thumbsup

Take care, Peace!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Manal

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 09:12:49 AM »
Thanks Courtenay for your reply. Actually, i never tasted coffee and tasted tea once in my life and don't like the taste of both. I did take Vitamin C but not regularly.

Thanks Sajid for your reply, but why would the free iron change to HB? Is this the normal way??

Manal

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 11:25:11 AM »
Hi Manal,

That's the way it is. Heamoglobin is the iron-containing oxygen-transport metalloprotein in the red blood cells of the blood. Thus it requires adequate levels of Iron in the blood for it's manufacture. If the Iron levels in your blood are low then Hb drops which is known as Iron deficient anemia.

You need more Iron to correct this so that your body can use the extra Iron to make more Hb.

Take care, Peace!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 02:25:24 PM »
Manal,

Vitamin C will help increase the absorption of your iron supplement, as will eating citrus fruits with your meals. Take some C along with your iron pill.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Manal

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 09:32:23 PM »
Thanks Sajid and Andy for your replies.

So i have to start the pills again uhhh, they are awful. I really wanted to take iron shots instead but I was advised not to because they may affect the liver

Manal

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 06:20:27 AM »
Manal,

I tried may different types of iron pills before settling to a liquid iron supplement that also has C and B vitamins and herbs to aid digestion. Iron pills come in many forms: ferrous sulfate, ferrous carbonate, etc, and I didn't absorb any after a while. I take Floradix Iron & Herbs which is a syrup from Germany. This stuff is great and my brother took it also and got better. Flora sells it in US and Canada. The company is Salus from Germany. There must be a place to get it from in Egypt or perhaps you can have your pharmacy order it. Also, old-world pharmacies can make tonics for you based on a list of ingredients.

http://www.florahealth.com/flora/home/canada/products/r4771.asp
http://www.salusuk.com/index.html
http://www23.netrition.com/flora_floradix_iron_herbs_page.html

And as others said, no tea, coffee or calcium-rich foods within 3 hours of your iron...

Offline Manal

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 11:54:48 AM »
Thanks Marientina a lot for the information. I guess i can order it and give it a try.

Is it true that iron syrup stains the teeth and should be taken by a straw??

Manal

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 08:02:11 AM »
I haven't had a problem with floradix but frankly i take before bedtime and then brush my teeth... :biggrin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk