Need a help

• 3 Replies
Need a help
« on: May 21, 2007, 07:52:43 AM »
Hi,
This is vijeta,The father of my fiance is a carrier of thalassemia major.25 yrs ago after the birth of my fiance his father was affected by kalajar in INDIA.By the maltreatment it turns up into severe Anamia and then thalassemia.When my fiance was 10 yrs old he undergo by treatment and doctors have notfound any symptoms regarding that.Now before getting married I want to know that is there any chances of causing thalassemia to my fiance.What kind of tests he should undergo ?For several times he ha donated his blood to Some hospitals.But nobody has treated his blood as a thalassemia patient.
So,Need a help.Is he a Thalassemia patient?

regards,
vijeta

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Re: Need a help
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 11:19:50 AM »
Hi,

Please post in the relevant topic. Furthermore avoid posting redundant messages. Please be patient in receiving replies to the first message in the series of your redundant messages.

Take care, Peace!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 02:35:33 PM »
A carrier of thalassemia is called a minor. Your fiance should be tested for thalassemia trait. If his father carries the trait it could have passed onto his son since it is a hereditary genetic disorder. Since your fiance has donated blood before, he either does not carry the thal trait or is a silent carrier with no affect to his hemoglobin levels. Your fiance cannot become a thal major if he is a carrier. He would be called a thal minor.

Both you and your fiance should be tested for thalassemia trait before marrying as the combination of two carriers can produce thalassemia major in their children. The most common test for determining thalassemia is a hemoglobin electrophoresis test. You should be tested because thalassemia trait is very common in India (3% of the Indian population carries the thal gene) and ALL Indians should be tested before marriage.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Narendra

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 09:23:51 PM »
Hello Vijeta,

Welcome to the site

Andy has rightly mentioned, what is important(Getting the thalassemia tests done). It is good that you are trying to find out information about Thalassemia. The problem is that most of the thal(carriers) do NOT know they are thalassemia carriers.

Check the link below, which shows that there are about 30000 thalassemia patients(note these are NOT Thal carriers) in West Bengal alone

http://www.indianmuslims.info/news/2007/april/21/india_news/thalassaemic_childs_parents_campaign_for_awareness.html

According to statistics available with us, there are about 30,000 thalassaemia patients in West Bengal and this number is fast increasing with 2,500-3,000 fresh cases reported every year," TSI secretary Tapas Sengupta told IANS

I would suggest that your fiance and you both get tested by a Thalassemia aware doctor and if he is a thal(minor) get yourself tested for thalassemia(minor).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk