donor organisation??

• 5 Replies

Offline baris

• thalassemia major
donor organisation??
« on: April 09, 2007, 03:10:57 PM »
Hi all,

Do you always take your blood from same donors? Do you think it's unnecessary?
If it's necessary, why? Thank you very much. I'm really curious about this topic.

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Re: donor organisation??
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 05:22:16 AM »
Hi Baris,

Here in Pakistan, most of the blood comes from the blood drives(camps) that hospital arranges in different colleges etc. Some students are regular donors and donate every now and then but it is not compulsory for everyone to do it. They are regular donor with their own consent.

Take care, Peace!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline baris

• thalassemia major
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 06:35:26 AM »
Thank you for your reply Sajid. But I meant a group of the same donors for only one patient.
Because of frequent transfusions we had, do you think that we need any special attention?
In your country or hospital is there any approach to thals like this? In Turkey, they try
to collect at least 10-15 donors which have same subgroup type compatible with a thal. patient.
And then, this definite group will donate for only one patient lifelong. Do you think, this
is common sense or feasible?
They aim to minimize risks of transfusion complications and other syndromes.
I think this is wonderful and necessary but I'm not sure it will be successful. And I wanted to ask you
(this excellent international group of friends), is there any application like this in your
country? Thanks in advance.

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 07:40:20 AM »
Hi Baris,

That sounds like a nice idea, but here in Pakistan it is very hard to find someone who shows such a commitment. Normally even people who donate regularly see their own convenience and donate only when they want to. We can't compel anyone only appeal to them for such a noble cause.

I wish people aren't so afraid to donate blood and the idea that you mentioned is great if we are certain that their blood is most compatible with a particular patients; provided that these donors take extra measure to keep themselves healthy.

Take care, Peace!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline baris

• thalassemia major
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 08:09:16 AM »
Exactly Sajid. We think in the same way. I appreciate your sharing. :)

Anyone else?

Offline jzd24

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 02:16:19 AM »
Baris,
     I live in the U.S., and in my experience, the blood bank organization just matches blood for type and compatibility. I live in a rural area in the midwest and thalassemia is very rare. I have never heard of the plan you have described, but it sounds like a nice idea! It probably would reduce reactions. Take care, Jean

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk