how do you do it?

• 11 Replies

Offline jzd24

how do you do it?
« on: June 01, 2007, 04:15:22 PM »
Hi everyone,
      I know this has nothing to do with thal, but I am so amazed at how well everyone expresses themselves in English.  Do you study it a lot in school? Do you use a computer translating program? I know you're all brilliant, but it is unbelievable how well you write. I just wanted to tell you that. I studied French for years, but I don't think I could write it as well as you guys do English. Love you all, Jean

Kathy11

Re: how do you do it?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 12:14:10 AM »
Hi Jean.
HaHaha  ??? ??? ??? ???  that is because we are multilingual   its a gift from god most of us has to learn more than one languages to get by in our corner of the world.I suppose we are lucky after all  we wont get lost in translation   Just some cheek for fun.
Love Kathy

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 12:30:22 AM »
I find myself a bit embarrassed when people apologize to me for their "bad" English. They all know at least two languages and English is my only tongue. Some have better English than many native born Americans. If anything, Americans should be saying sorry that they only know English.  :happyyes

What did they teach us in schools? Oh yeah, now I remember. They taught us that when the "big one" comes, we should all put our heads under the desks.  :rotfl
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 04:26:56 AM »
Hi,
English is a world standard now. Similar could have been said for French but the popularity English has is undisputed.

I believe that it is the simplicity and ease of learning it, makes it the most popular language of the world.

Take a look at my native language, Urdu. It uses Arabic script and each character has a different shape with respect to the character preceding it and trailing it, which makes more than 200 combination of shapes to be remembered for all characters with every other character!

Take care, Peace!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 07:43:51 AM »
Hi Jean,

I don't think i am very good at speaking english,though a bit better in writing, but not that much,when it comes to expression of emotions or gratitude or sorrow or pain,i feel helpless,i feel like i am unable to make other person understand my situation,and about the school,i remember my english teacher always encouraging us to speak in english, even wrong,in atleast english class, though it was not a very high standard school. but i'll definitely give all the credit for my english to that teacher of mine,and at college level we were forced,yes literally forced to talk in english,or teachers won't respond,and finally i always wanted to know this language as this is an international language,and see how it has helped me,if i didn't know english how was i supposed to find this wonderful site and wonderful people like you  :hugfriend

LOVE TO YOU ALL,

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Lyanne

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 08:30:51 AM »
We use english in school as the primary language in class, well except for Filipino subject(which is a subject that is all about our national languge......... that's why Filipinos are usually always good in english........ and yeah it's the international language.......  :wink
LYANNE :yahoo

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 12:50:40 PM »
Ah!! Come on jzd24, your english is very good. You express yourself in a simple, accurate and concise manner.

Regards
Regards.

Offline Nur

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 02:02:00 PM »
hi all,

We learned English in school and sometimes use it to speak so that makes me understand english. Although i can write quite well in but when it's time to speak, i am not fluent like others. I always felt that people might not understand what i'm saying  :confused because i talk so slowly (to think of the right word to say   :smileblue)

I feel that learning foreign language is a good thing because we can communicate to more people. Even knowing english has given me the opportunity to talk and disscuss anything at all through this forum. Without it, i might be lost and lonely....

Some of you might speak italian or hindi or Spanish. That's a good thing. Maybe we can teach each other languages  too...  :winkblue  ;D

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 04:08:16 PM »
Just wanted to add that I can type better than I can speak or write! :biggrin

My verbal skills are awful!

Take care, Peace!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 12:15:40 PM »
Hi Jean

I think this has to do with practice. Although i graduated from a university and a school that everything was taught in English, i believe that i don't master the language properly because i stopped practicing 11 years ago ( i graduated 1996). I also studied fench fo 6 years and because i don't practice the language, i just only know some words.

Like Zaini said, i too can't express my self at all when it comes to emotions and at that time i feel really upset :mad and also i cna write better than talk.

One last thing, i guess that knowing languages is also a talent, i have an aunt that fluently knows 5 languages and she keeps learning :huh :huh

Manal

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 03:23:15 PM »
English is my native language and I still write far better than I speak. Having the time to compose one's thoughts makes such a big difference, so it isn't just English not being the native tongue that is responsible. Obviously, we are a group of very deep thinkers.  :wink
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline jzd24

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 03:41:15 PM »
     Thanks for all the replies, very interesting. I think you all do a remarkable job expressing yourselves. I just didn't realize how much English is taught in other countries. I wish I knew other languages. My father spoke fluent Greek, and my mother was a linguist, so we were always interested in other languages. I took French from third grade through college, but I never went anywhere to use it. I did have a good time with the high school exchange students from France this spring - all that French is still in my head and just needs to be used.  Have a great day everyone, Jean

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk