• 36 Replies

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Re: Hi All !!
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2007, 10:27:48 AM »
Hi,

I've sent them an email yesterday. Lets hope I get the reply soon.
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Zaid

• Thal maj
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2007, 10:32:49 PM »
Andy/Askari and Sajid,

Sorry for the late reply guys.....have been having serious connectivity issues...Anyways, Chelox is the brand name for Deferiprone and it comes in capsule form of 500 mg. My doc prescribed it to me . I'm using combination chelation therapy currently with the following schedule: 8 capsules a day for 5 days and Desferal (2.5 gms) for the remaining two days.

The  cost of each capsule is Rs.20 (33 cents) which is pretty reasonable. I've been using the drug for over 2 weeks and have been checking my blood counts as well, all looks fine till now.

I'll be sharing some of the info that came as product description:

Chelox (Deferiprone) Capsules

Desciption: Chelox capsules contains deferiprone, an iron chelating agent, which is used to treat iron overload in a variety of conditions

Composition: Each Chelox 500 mg capsule contains: Deferiprone,HPL.....500 mg

Indications and Usage: Treatement of iron overload in: thalassemia major for whom desferrioxamine therapy is contraindicated or who present serious toxicity with desferrioxamine therapy, and multiple blood transfusions

Mechanism of Action: Three molecules of deferiprone form a complex with one iron atom. This complex is then excreted in urine

Pharmacokinetics:

Absorption:
Deferiprone is rapidly absorbed from GIT

Metabolism:
Deferiprone is metabolised, but it's metabolite has no chelating activity

Excretion:
Deferiprone-iron complex is excreted in the urine. Up to 90% of the dose is excreted within 24 hours

Side effects
Reddish/Brown Urine, agranulocytosis, neutropenia, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, increased appetite, arthralgia and increased alanine transaminase (ALT) levels

Contraindications

Chelox capsules are contraindicated in patients with history of:
a) Hypersensitivity to deferiprone or any other ingredient of the product
b) Recurrent episodes of neutropenia or agranulocytosis

Hope the info helps

The drug is working fine for me and the only side effects i experienced was an increase in appetite and a reddish urine, but that isn't bad coz i know the drug is working and iron is being excreted from my system.

Andy, is this the same drug as Kelfer ? Do lemme know

Cheers,

Zaid

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2007, 10:45:04 AM »
Hi Zaid,

If the drug says it's defriprone,then it must be the same as kelfer,ferriprox is the brand name of defriprone while kelfer and ferrinil are the generic names manufactured in India and Pakistan respectively,though i was unable to finf ferinill,and now we are hearing about this new chelator "chelox".If it's really defriprone,then it will be really really helpful to all the thals in Pakistan.

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2007, 12:47:43 PM »
Thanks for the info Zaid.

I had emailed Hilton Pharma about it as they haven't mentioned it on their website. Unfortunately I haven't receieved a reply from them yet, but now you have explained it so well that I don't need a reply from them.

Now we all know about it thanks to you!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline erum minhas

• my lovely daughter
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2009, 08:06:19 AM »
salaam
how are you and life

Offline erum minhas

• my lovely daughter
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2009, 03:11:48 AM »
where are u now a days

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2009, 04:03:58 AM »
Dear Erum,

If you are referring to Sajid, I regret to tell you that unfortunately we lost Sajid last September to heart failure.  It has been a tragic loss for all of us and his absence is felt here everyday. 

Take good care,

Sharmin
Sharmin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk