Transfusion-Related Acute Lung Injury (TRALI)

• 23 Replies

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Re: Transfusion-Related Acute Lung Injury (TRALI)
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2006, 06:01:06 AM »
I guess you are right Poirot! I can fight it off by just giving a break in the transfusion. Therefore it probably is a rection from other impurities in blood. Though I start to feel it again after restarting the tranfusion, but if it occurs torawrds the end, then I just endure it till the last drop drips down.

In case of TRALI this seems to be impossible as in case of Danielle.
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2006, 06:41:38 AM »
Danielle, incompetence of the medical staff should not be unforgiven! They have no right to play with any one else's life! You should have the whole staff fired like Smurfette had that nurse fired.

You are in the U.S where you have the right to punish the people who have hurt you so that it will be a lesson for everyone and no one will dare to make such stupid mistakes in the future.

Heck, you can even sue persons even if its your fault. (I have the top 10 list of such cases, which is known as "Stella awards" is somewhere in my inbox).

I wish I had such previlages as given in U.S so I could teach those idots a lesson who gave me those dreadful fits and put me in coma. It was my good luck and prayers of the family that I woke up early with no serious mental loss, otherwise the docs feared I might be out for a long time and would suffer serious brain damage!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2006, 06:43:45 AM »
Well Danielle,
I think that most of us have been through alot in their time...I have been through quiet abit myself in my 37yrs...Have you ever been given someone elses blood group....

I think some of us have gone through more than usual, though.  I believe a lot of it has to do with the incompetence of the medical staff in many places.  Sadly, most of the stuff that happened to me, happened between the ages of 15 and 23.  That's a pretty short span for the many life-threatening things that I have been through, and I think it's really sad.

Unfortunately, I have been given the wrong blood type, but since I always check my blood before it's started, I caught it in time.  This happened to me back in the early 90's.

I'm so sorry that happened to you, and I'm glad you're ok.  I'm also glad you got the nurse in trouble.  Sometimes I wish I had sued only to get certain people fired, and not for monetary reasons.  I found out later on that similar things happened to other people, by the same people that did it to me, and that makes me very angry.  I wish I was able to just go to a different hospital at the time, and then just get those certain people in trouble, but it's just not easy.  There were so many people involved, and I would've definitely had to change hospitals at that point.  :( 

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2006, 06:46:55 AM »
Jeeez, that is really straight out of a horror movie, as Andy says. And, the worst part of it is that it was due to the incompetence of the doctors and nurses who are there to help!!! Un-f***ing-believable.  :mad
You should have sued the hell out of them  .... made their malpractice insurance costs go up. It's alright educating the rest of us  :hug, but some of these people do not deserve to be doctors and need be to be run out of business  :mad
Really glad that you made it through all that crap and are stronger for it.

Yeah, it definitely felt like a horror movie, that's for sure.   :sadyup

As I said in my previous post, I wish I had done things a bit differently, and brought a malpractice suit against them, to teach them a lesson, not for money.  It has been done too many times to me, and I think I let people get away with too much.  :-\

Thanks, Poirot.

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2006, 07:00:31 AM »
Danielle, incompetence of the medical staff should not be unforgiven! They have no right to play with any one else's life! You should have the whole staff fired like Smurfette had that nurse fired.  You are in the U.S where you have the right to punish the people who have hurt you so that it will be a lesson for everyone and no one will dare to make such stupid mistakes in the future.

I know, Sajid.  Sometimes it really bothers me that I let the medical staff get away with so much.  I just hate creating enemies, and I would've had to change hospitals if I did that.  They are testing my patience, though.  They continue to do certain things, and I always find myself keeping an eye out for my own safety constantly.  Just recently, one of the nurses wanted to give me a dose that was quadruple what it should've been.  The only reason why I even knew this was because I'm a nurse, and knew that this certain drug couldn't be given in that dose all at once.  What the hell is that all about?  Do we all have to go to nursing/medical school to stay alive?  I think that's bullcrap.  If I hadn't known that 10 mg was the limit for this med, she would have given me 40mg, and it was a narcotic.  I told her that she made a mistake, and she checked again and tried to back-peddle and said that she really wasn't going to give me that dosage, she was just testing me.  WTF?  Testing me?  Give me a break.   :rolleyes

Offline Smurfette

• Me and my Goddaughter
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2006, 10:42:51 AM »
Danielle,

hello :)

You shouldnt really let the medical staff get away with alot...Well if they did their jobs properly in the first place you wouldnt have to tell them off or fire them like I had done...They nearly cost me my life..I sued the hospital to prove a my point...Not for the money of it....I dont care for the money..Just as long as it doesnt happen to anyone else...And it hasnt...

Well you stick to your guns sweet..cause if we arent careful..they will try and feed us with all the crap they think they know more about than what we do...

Well you should of told her to go and test it on herself not someone like yourself....Here now where I go to the hospital...We have a wonderful nurse who knows what is going on and she is very on the ball with us....How it should be....but some other nurses who dont know their stuff...I do give them the third degree on how to do things....ITS OUR BODIES!!!! AND OUR LIVES THEY ARE DEALING WITH!!!!

We dont need any more complications than we already do have....

Hope you all have a nice day/afternoon wherever you maybe

:cheer  :bighug

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2006, 03:08:52 PM »
From my own experience I would say there is another factor when it comes to deciding whether or not to sue a hospital after an experience like this. My own experience was so traumatic that I wanted nothing to do with the idea of a lawsuit, as it would've meant re-living the experience over and over again. I was definitely traumatized by what happened to me and it took several years before I could discuss it without breaking down. There was no way I was going to go to court about it. In fact, it was meeting Lisa and comparing hospital horror stories that finally got me to the point where I could talk about it without tears.

Danielle, I can't blame you one bit for not suing. Sometimes your own mental health outweighs any other considerations.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2006, 09:03:59 AM »
I totally agree with you, Smurfette.  No one should let anyone get away with endangering our health, and I'm glad you stuck to your guns and did what you had to do.  As Andy had said, I honestly don't think I would've been able to even re-live the whole thing at the time.  It took a good couple of years for me to be somewhat ok with what happened to me.  I was having nightmares constantly, and anxiety would attack me out of nowhere.  I don't think I would've been able to handle lawyers, courtrooms, and telling the story over and over again.  Half the time, I couldn't even talk about it in therapy.  It was truly a very traumatizing experience for me, and I hope to God that I, or anyone else, will never have to experience something like that again.   :sadnope

Andy, I'm sorry you had to experience something so traumatic yourself.  I totally understand what you mean about mental health outweighing other things at times.   :sadyup

I didn't exactly get the chance to tell you guys when it happened, but I finally found a new hematologist who specializes in Thalassemia, and he is wonderful.  I'm going to be changing to his hospital shortly, so I won't have to deal with not getting the care that I need.  I haven't told many people that I am leaving, so a few people who post here that know me personally are probably going to kill me for not telling them, but I am trying to keep things quiet right now, until the times comes that I leave my current hospital.  I really didn't want to make a big deal out of it, and wanted to leave quietly, but people are going to have to know eventually.  That is why I didn't post it here sooner.  I didn't want certain people to read it here and run with it.  It's ok, though.  I'm confident that I want to stay with this new person now, and my mind is pretty much set, so I'm just getting things in order before the whole switch takes place.   It's awesome to finally have a doctor that calls me back when I need him, and actually cares.  It's a nice change.   :biggrin
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 09:07:10 AM by Danielle »

Offline Smurfette

• Me and my Goddaughter
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2006, 12:18:57 PM »
Hey Danielle,

Well it was hard, but I managed to deal with it..I didnt have to go to court or deal with anyone else...But I have put that in the past and I dont even think of it, unless someone brings it up and it does give me the shivers time to time...

I am glad that you have found a doctor that really cares for his patients and not his pocket...Here in Sydney we have a great heamatologist who looks after us well...I see him every 3 mths and he is pleased with my progress...

It does feel good when you can rely on someone to be there for you when you need them...I am grateful that I have such a doctor that I can rely on..

When ever I have needed him, he never shut me out..I have seen him even in his office when I havent been well...And he didnt tell me to go home....

Thats because I am very rarely sick and when I do become ill its for real..so he knows

And again I am happy for you that you have found someone who will make a difference in your treatment and well being....

:bighug :flowers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk