WHAT IS COMBONATION THERAPY???

• 5 Replies
WHAT IS COMBONATION THERAPY???
« on: June 29, 2007, 03:51:17 AM »
hello every1!! My iron level is 2600 right now and i really want it lowered. What exactly is combo therapy and should i suggest this 2 my doc?

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Re: WHAT IS COMBONATION THERAPY???
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 04:54:12 AM »
Hi,

Combination therapy is the use of more than one iron chelators.

Usually it is reffered to the use of Desferal injection and Deferiprone (also known as Kelfer) pills.

It is more effective as each chelator has it's own benefits. For example the combo stated above: Desferal removes iron from liver more better than Kelfer while Kelfer removes iron from the heart more better than Desferal.

This way, iron is chelated efficiently from the body than compared to using one chelator only.

Take care, Peace!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 05:49:14 AM »
Oh!! Thank you very much. Since my iron level is 2600 should i recommend this therapy to my doc?

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 06:33:18 AM »
Hi,

I've read that you are using Exjade.

Normally, Exjade is taken on it's own since it is relatively new and it's effect with other chelators is not known.

I don't use Exjade but I think I remember someone using Desferal with Exjade, but I can't remember who. Maybe Mr. Andy can remember something about this and give more appropriate advice on it.

Take care, Peace!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 02:34:50 AM »
Some doctors in the US will prescribe desferal and exjade together. In fact, Danielle is one of the people taking both. It does appear to be effective. However, most doctors around the world won't prescribe the two together because it hasn't yet had a trial. I don't think it will be easy to find doctors who will approve the combination at this point in time. My advice to anyone who decides to try it on their own would be to slowly work up to a dose until they are sure there is no reaction from using both drugs.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 08:34:36 PM »
Danielle is one of the people taking both. It does appear to be effective. However, most doctors around the world won't prescribe the two together because it hasn't yet had a trial. I don't think it will be easy to find doctors who will approve the combination at this point in time.

Yes, I was doing both for a long time, and will continue again soon.  I had to stop it for a while, because it was making my previous intestinal issues worse.  I'll be taking it again after the surgery, though.  I didn't have any complications with the combo therapy.  It actually went very well.  I'm just using the Desferal right now, though.

Andy is right, though.  Most doctors won't prescribe Exjade with Desferal, because it hasn't been tested in a clinical setting as of yet.  :dunno

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk