Aches and pains

• 8 Replies

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Aches and pains
« on: July 07, 2007, 05:17:59 PM »
Hi everyone,
My 8 year old (almost 9yrs) tends to get achy feet (location and foot alternates) when he wakes up in the morning.  This has been happening since he was very little, probably since age 3.  Sometimes it goes away on its own, sometimes I need to give him some tylenol.  I've spoken to his pediatrician and other thal doctors, they don't believe that it is related to thal.  They think that it is growing pains.  There is no associated pain or swelling and I have checked all of the obvious - how his shoes fit etc.  He is very uncomfortable when the pain occurs and I was wondering if anyone has experienced this. 

Thank you all,
Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
Re: Aches and pains
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 08:11:19 PM »
Aches and pains are definitely common in people with Thal Major.  I get them all the time, but it's generally in my long bones. I do feel pain in my feet at times, though.   It could be growing pains, but I wouldn't rule out Thal for causing pain in the feet.   :huh

I'm curious to know if anyone else has seen this in their children with Thal, especially at such a young age, considering that your son was around 3 when it started.

Does the Tylenol work for him?

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 03:22:04 AM »
hi,
i remember when i was younger i also got pains the doctors also didnt know  what it was it did go away after a few years,one other suggestion because you said it was in your childs feet is his calcium level normal? as when my calcuim is low i get really bad cramping in the feet also.

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 03:30:36 AM »
Low potassium levels can cause cramping as well.  Maybe you can try giving him a banana here and there and see if that helps a bit.  ???

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 01:41:58 AM »
Thank you for your responses Sydneygirl and Danielle.  I will try to make sure that he is getting enough calcium and that I give him a banana more often.  And yes, tylenol does aleviate his pain. 
Sharmin

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 10:22:18 AM »
Hi, my daughter who is 4 with thal major also complains that her knees hurt quite often, but it goes away after a rest. 

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 10:28:52 AM »
hi sharin,
from what i know if your daughter is on desferal sometimes  desferal can draw the calcium out of your bones thats why alot of patients after years of desferal do develop osteoporsis.

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 03:46:36 PM »
hi  there is always pain in my joints and head i dont know y[flash=200,200] :mad

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 11:22:28 PM »
We have found that putting a sock on the achy foot comforts him and takes away the pain.  I remembered having a similar pain when I was little and that a sock would always help - I had him try it as well and it worked.  Sometimes the little bug wakes up at night when he his foot hurts - puts on a sock and falls asleep - the pain is gone.  I haven't given him tylenol for a while.  So if I wake up and find him wearing one sock I know that his foot must have hurt at night.

I hope this helps others too!

Sharmin
(remember to keep up the calcium too!)
Sharmin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk