Some Reports Of Zainab!!

• 29 Replies

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
Re: Some Reports Of Zainab!!
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2007, 10:53:39 AM »
Hi Friends,

I wanted to ask something,what would happen if a person has high platelets?though an online search told me that it can cause thrombosis,form clots when not needed.Actually i am a bit worried about Zainab's platelets count,i was observing her CBC reports since last three months,and it seems like her PLT conts is increasing.
In August her PLT  count was 322x10E9/L
In September her PLT count was 366x10E9/L
In October her PLT count is 399x10E9/L

Since the normal ranges are between 150-400, 399 is the borderline i think,should i be alarmed? Is there anything wrong? Other then Platelets all her blood counts are fine,but i am a bit scared regarding Platelets,does this indicate anything about spleen?

Anxiously waiting for youe replies.

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2007, 03:48:56 PM »
Hi Zaini,

Ask your doctor about the use of Warfarin or Asprin to treat keep the blood thin so that the clots don't form. Heparin is used as an injection in emergency to rapidly treat blood colts.

Tell me what you have been doing to increase the PLT counts :biggrin I DESPERATELY need to get them up within the normal range. :wah
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2007, 04:24:03 PM »
The high end of normal for platelet counts is in the 400-450,000 range so Zainab is within this. Please understand that this is the NORMAL range. It is not until platelets get significantly higher, that problems may occur. I know of cases where the platelet levels were double this with no real problems developing. However, to help keep them in check, make sure Zainab is taking vitamin E daily. Use the natural type of vitamin E. If it says d-alpha, it is natural. If it says dl-alpha, it is synthetic E and not as effective. It is best that E be taken as mixed tocopherols so that the full benefit is realized. Aspirin is also a blood thinner and taking one tablet per day can help keep the blood thinner. Your doctor will not prescribe a blood thinning drug as long as the platelet count is anywhere near the normal range, as these drugs, as most drugs , do have side effects. It is much better to use vitamin E and aspirin to keep the levels within a normal range.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2007, 05:22:06 PM »
Sajid,

I stumbled across some information while researching about low high platelet counts. I don't know if this could be a contributing factor but it may be worth asking your doctor to check.

From http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/490173

Successful eradication of Helicobacter pylori infection results in significant platelet recovery in 56% of patients with chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP)

It has also been found that H. pylori is found more often in thal majors than in the general population, so it may be worth having checked out.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=pubmed&list_uids=16292091&cmd=Retrieve&indexed=google

CONCLUSION: The high prevalence of H. pylori infection suggests that H. pylori should be remembered as a probable cause of RAP (Recurrent abdominal pain) in beta-thalassaemia major patients.

H. pylori is a bacteria that has also been implicated in ulcers and is treated by a combination of two antibiotics.

Prednisone is also sometimes used as a temporary measure to increase platelet counts as it will reduce the destruction of the platelets in the spleen. Prednisone helps counter the overreaction of the immune system, which is responsible for the hyper destruction of platelets in the spleen.

I will continue to research this topic and will report if I find anything that may help boost your platelets. If the spleen would only behave, the lives of thals would be greatly improved.
Andy

Offline Zaini

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2007, 08:52:31 PM »
Thanx Sajid and Andy,

For your prompt replies,Sajid dear i am using absolutely nothing to increase her plt counts,it seems like it decided to increase on it's own accord,i am sorry that your plt count is low,they don't have any med to increase it? between i just checked Zainab's vitamin syrup,there is no vitamin E in it,i'll search for it,between i remember when i had that foot-swelling-high-uric-acid episode,i asked doctor should i be taking a blood thinner like Vitamin E,and he was like  :o "who told you Vitamin E is a blood thinner,it's not a blood thinner"i mumbled something about reading it on internet (didn't wanna argue with him ), and i am happy that zainab is still in normal range,though i'll keep a close watch on her next CBC.

One thing more,what would a cause a raise in platelets counts?such in zainab's case?

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2007, 09:00:42 PM »
Not only is vitamin E a blood thinner, as is aspirin, but surgeons will require a patient to stop E and aspirin at least one week prior to surgery, as they may inhibit the clotting necessary after surgery. 

Neither are strong blood thinners, but both can help if there is any danger of clotting, so they are often recommended for thals who have high platelets.
Andy

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2007, 09:03:26 PM »
Most western medical sources say there are no foods to benefit platelet production, but I did find this article that give a list of foods that supposedly will help.

http://www.bawarchi.com/health/queries53.html#10

Question: What are the natural food items that can help me increase the platelet count in my blood.

Ans: Foods such as drumstick leaves, fenugreek leaves, amaranth, Bengal gram whole, green gram whole, liver, egg yolk, spirulina, citrus fruits, amla will help to increase the platelet count.

I don't know if they can help but it might be worth a try, as the ultimate remedy is a splenectomy and I know you're trying to avoid that.
Andy

Offline Zaini

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2007, 09:15:00 PM »
Hey Sajid,

Go get started with the list  :wink I wish you the best  :hugfriend.

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline maha

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2007, 07:25:44 AM »
Sajid,
Beware of the drumstickleaves though I have heard they are rich in IRON and you certainly don`t want anymore. :biggrin
take care
MAHA

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2007, 10:40:49 AM »
Hello everyone,

Thanks a lot for all your valuable replies. Andy, I will definitely ask my doctor about Prednisone and the list mostly consists of green leafy vegies which someone already told me about and the reason for them was that they contain Vitamin K. I know these are rich in Vit-K but their quantity is measured in micro grams (even thousands of mcg)  which is far less to the 10mg pill that I take everyday. Thanks for your valuable research and I will definitely have a talk about it with my doctor.

By the way, I was called for Transfusion today on SUNDAY!!! as the Thal. Center will be off due to EID holidays approaching. Anyway, my Platelets have increased to 119/(whatever) :biggrin even though I had couple of episodes of nose bleeds between the last Tx and this. My doctor was pretty happy to see this and so am I! :grin
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2007, 03:24:04 PM »
Sajid, best of luck keep them up

Zaini, don't worry Ahmad had some fluctuation in his PLT count that ranged from 350,000 to 550,000  last winter and the doctor told me as Andy said to give him Vitamin E and that was to make me comfortable and told me that she will start to worry if the count exceeded one million

Manal

Offline Zaini

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2007, 07:51:37 PM »
Thanx Manal,

for comforting,

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Zaini

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 08:33:25 PM »
Hi,

I think i mentioned it somewhere on this forum a few days ago that zainab was complaining of pain in her heels,not ankles or joints but heels,and it got stopped for a couple of days but then she started complaining again and now she complains as often as twice a day, since doctors here say that pain in heels is an indication of low calcium,i got her calcium levels checked,it  was 8.8,same as last checked in june 2007,no increase no decrease,the normal levels start from 8.6,so,could that be the cause of her pain?or anything else?did somebody else ever experienced that kind of pain?
Waiting for your opinions.

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2007, 08:36:53 PM »
Hi Zaini,

Are you giving Zainab vitamin D with the calcium? Vitamin D is necessary for the calcium to be well absorbed.
Andy

Offline Zaini

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2007, 11:00:10 AM »
Yes Andy,

She is taking her 400 units of Vitamin D daily,anything else you can think about? which might be the reason.

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk