Can Cord Blood be helpful with the following Case?

• 12 Replies

Offline Narendra

Can Cord Blood be helpful with the following Case?
« on: March 08, 2006, 05:02:43 PM »
My Neice is a Thal Major - 1 year old
Her HLA did NOT match with her brother(1 antigen match) or father(3 antigen match) or mother(1/2 antigen match) when we tried to get a HLA match.
The patients mother's cousin brother's wife is pregnent and expecting a baby soon.
Can the cord blood of this mother help the Thal patient at all?

-nb
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 08:43:19 PM by nb »

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
Re: Can Cord Blood be helpful with the following Case?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 09:36:27 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, the cord blood should come from a sibling of the child needing the stem cells.  If the cord blood comes from a sibling, there is up to a 75% chance of a match.  If the cord blood comes from a distant relative, the chance is minimal that there will be a match.   :(

If someone else has different information, please correct me.

Offline Poirot

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 09:44:01 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, the cord blood should come from a sibling of the child needing the stem cells.  If the cord blood comes from a sibling, there is up to a 75% chance of a match.  If the cord blood comes from a distant relative, the chance is minimal that there will be a match.   :(
If someone else has different information, please correct me.

If I am not wrong, I read somewhere that the Singapore General Hospital has been experimenting with unrelated cord blood transplants, with a higher than expected success rate. Checking for the source now. Will update if I find it.

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 10:02:28 AM »
Wow, that would be great news, Poirot!  I hope you can find the source!   :biggrin

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 08:01:17 PM »
One other point that I need a clarification, if anyone can do that for is please... .. when a Thal major has a baby, can that cord blood be used for the mother to cure her if the baby is born either with the Thal trait or with no traits at all?

shikha mitra

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 07:58:12 AM »
One other point that I need a clarification, if anyone can do that for is please... .. when a Thal major has a baby, can that cord blood be used for the mother to cure her if the baby is born either with the Thal trait or with no traits at all?

shikha mitra

I have read that a Major parent will always have atleast a Minor Baby(one Thal. gene will have to come from the Major Parent). So, I guess you can get yourself upgraderd to Minor from Major by this method!  :huh
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 02:46:24 PM »
I have wriiten to Dr. William Hwang.. Thanks for the email address. Lets see what he has to say..

Offline Nur

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 03:34:38 AM »
So, I guess you can get yourself upgraderd to Minor from Major by this method!  :huh

ha..ha...is that a good thing? I guess i can tolerate in being a minor after all this years being a major.  :winky

i have a daughter and i kept her cord blood in case anything happens. maybe i should give it a try? can cord blood transplant can actually be done? is it safe? 

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 05:52:59 AM »
Shikha,

Your question is very intriguing. A major mom would definitely have minor children. And when the transplant is from a minor, that is the result. The major becomes a minor as happened with our friend Melis when she got a BMT from her minor sister. There have been successful mother to child BMT's but it is still a rather new procedure and why it works is not really understood, as a mother cannot be as close a match as a sibling. There is speculation that it has something to do with the same reason a mother's body does not reject the fetus in the womb, even though one half of the genetic material is from the father and therefore foreign to the host (the mom). Dr Peter Sodani spoke about the mother to child transplants at the TIF conference in Dubai and noted that the outcome had been a success in curing 9 of 15 patients. It is still a very new procedure and the results may show a higher success rate in the future.

I have never heard of a child to mother transplant and don't know if there is any reason that it could not work. A major problem may be the age of the mom, as BMT's are usually done in younger patients and the success rate gets lower with older patients. I will be very interested in what response you get from Dr Hwang.

Great question Shikha!
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 03:03:03 PM »
Hi Andy

If only all these technologies were availbale 25 years back.. what a difference it would make to many of our lives!! :smile2
Yes I understand that age is a big factor for transplants but just maybe, this could be one of the best opportunities.. well.. lets see what Dr. Hwang have to say.
I have asked Mia too.. she said she will get back with the info..
Keep you posted.

Shikha mitra

Offline Miaki

• Ash and Me Dubai
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006, 02:18:36 PM »
Hellooooooo

Yes I'm onto it. I have asked Shikha to remind me from time to time in regards to getting a response. Our researcher here has not yet answered me but I will give him a call this week.

If this is possible trust me I'm putting my name on that list.

Regards
Miaki

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 03:54:30 PM »
Hi Maiki
Some one said that with the stem cell transplant from the baby to the mother could upgrade a major mother to a minor!!! :smile2

Even that would be wonderful.. hope your researchers come out with a HUGE possibility!

Love
shikha

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 12:59:28 PM »
Hi Maiki
Some one said that with the stem cell transplant from the baby to the mother could upgrade a major mother to a minor!!! :smile2

I believe that was me! It was just a logical derivation from the fact that the stem cells containing normal genes replace the existing Thal. Major stem cells and cure the patient.

In this case the stem cells of a Minor should replace the existing Thal. Major stem cells and upgrade to Minor.

This is not an established fact.
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk