Thal & Non Thal minor - chances of child getting Thal??

• 5 Replies

Offline APS

• APS
Thal & Non Thal minor - chances of child getting Thal??
« on: October 22, 2007, 08:57:34 AM »
 just became the member and trying to post my query.,

Introducing myself - as 37 years M having Thal Minor. I am married since 11 years having sweet daughter of age 10. My wife is Non Thal. I could only found out about the Thal when my daughter diagnosed with the same when she born.

I want to know if we go for second child. Now knowing I am Thal Minor and my wife Non thal - what are the chances of having successfull pregnancy and getting healthy new child>???

Kindly advice...

Best regards

APS

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Re: Thal & Non Thal minor - chances of child getting Thal??
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 09:09:39 AM »
Hi :welcome,

You have 50% chances of getting a Thal. Minor child and 50% of getting a normal child.

There is no risk of getting a Thal. Major child so don't worry as Thal. Minors won't require regular blood transfusions.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 10:20:50 AM by §ãJ¡Ð ساجد »
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline APS

• APS
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 09:40:23 AM »
Thanks very much Sajid bhai.

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 03:02:14 PM »
Sajid,

This is my understanding that in APS case he has a 75% chance of healthy baby and 25% chance of thal minor child. There is a ratio of 3:1 between healthy and defective genes. You just mentioned 50% chance for both, I may be wrong but can you give more details of your conclusion.

Thanks
Regards.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 03:25:11 PM »
It can be a bit confusing because, yes there are 4 genes possibly involved and only one is a thal gene, but since each parent has only two genes and one of the parents has a thal gene, 50% of the time, that parent will give a thal gene, creating a 50% chance of a minor. It is easy to demonstrate using 4 coins. In my example I use 3 pennies to represent the normal genes and a dime to represent the thal gene. One parent has a penny and a dime to give. You will notice when you make the combinations with the other parent's pennies (genes) that half the possible combinations have a dime(thal gene) in them. The thal carrier parent will give a thal gene 50% of the time according to the odds (which of course are only odds and reality can be very different).
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 04:17:52 PM »
Thanks Andy, Yes I understand now.
Regards.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk