Vitamin and Mineral Supplementation in Thalassemia

• 249 Replies

Offline Dori

Re: Vitamin and Mineral Supplementation in Thalassemia
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2009, 04:47:32 PM »
Hi SF,

One of our members Tariq asked Puritan's online support that hat kind of gelatin do they use and they told him they use Bovine gelatin.And i asked an alim here if it was ok to use Bovine gelatin in meds they said yes.

You can buy Puritan's products from www.puritansale.com .

Zaini.

I hate gelatin! You find it in everthing and they dont use the natural gelatin so much as I want them to use. I dont want to have it either. It is disgusting, really it is! I have my candies and toothpaste from the heatlhy shop, because I (we) dont know where to buy otherwise.

SF: I LOVE folic acid. Mine are yellow (one of my favo colours) and it taste good.  :biggrin

(What's an alim?)

Dore

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2009, 05:42:29 PM »
Dore,

An Islamic scholar is called an Alim.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline SF

« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2009, 03:41:48 AM »
Thanks Dore & Zaini,

The reason I don't take gelatin is precisely what Zaini hinted to. Gelatin comes from animal fat. I don't exactly know if they extract gelatin from the animal before or after slaughtering it. If after, I would not take it. If before, that would be okay as long as the source is either chicken or bovine, NOT pork.

In general, I have always avoided gelatin. It's commonly found in candies/gums and in certain other food items. Most supplements also contain it. I was interested in taking the Centrum Silver, which most thal adults at OCH take, but I found out it had gelatin and the source was either chicken or I THINK pork. The manufacturer mentioned that they have no way of knowing which one is put into which vial, as they use whatever is available at the time of manuf. and don't keep track.

Dore, my folic acid tablets were also yellow and they actually tasted GOOD! Would you please tell me the brand of it? Thanks!

I'd definitely appreciate further help in finding either chewables or liquid supplements with no gelatin. I'll definitely check out the Puritan website as both you, Zaini, and Andy have liked it so much.

Thank you all very much!

-SF

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline SF

« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2009, 06:49:55 AM »
Thanks, Umair!
Best,
SF

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2009, 07:28:50 AM »
Your Welcome SF,
Ops i missed to reply this thread, but its nothing new that i missed any thread :grin ....
@ Topic :
Check these site for more Vitamin & Mineral supplements and Anti-oxidants ...
www.puritan.com and www.gnc.com ....

but with heart palps, it is very important that you are taking calcium and magnesium together, along with vitamin D. Calcium imbalance can contribute to palps if you are not also taking magnesium. The two minerals control either side of the heart beat and if you take calcium without magnesium it can lead to palps.
P.S The Tablet i metnioned in my last post ( Octeocare ) contains Vit-D3(natural form), Calcium, Magnessium, Zinc and few more minerals ....

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 09:49:40 AM by nice friend »
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2009, 08:03:12 PM »
Andy,
Thanx for sending me IP6, Nigella and millk thistle although i was  saying you to wait until i failed to get/find these medicines here in in my city, but you sent , bcoze you want me to start these ASAP , and you made me emotional and my i was having tears in my eyes when i red the line in wat you said " I wanted to make sure you get started with milk thistle. "  " I have waited with other patients to send milk thistle and the outcome was loss of friends. I was not about to hold off sending this to you, so don't argue about it. " .... Aah buddy , i have started all these except IP6 and i found it here too ...  but credit of giving a start goes to you  bcoze i know i m a lazy boy to visit chemists to find out the things i want .. buddy , its not the first time that you did something for me , you did alot of more favours to me , i m realy thankful of you .... you got a big heart buddy .. Thanx Ya alot ... :thankyou2 ... buddy, i dont kow how can i thank you , thank you is a very short in typing and meaning ...  May God Bless you ,... i hope you nevver mind wat i said and also you're not offend by wat i said... if feel something shouldn't be her in my this post you may send me  PM i will edit this post ...

@ All other members ...
please , i request to you all dont send anything ,i m affraid of talking about supplements and meds bcoze of these kind offers from a few very kind-hearted members ...  i m super fine and getting my supplements as i mentioned before that GNC's products are available here in my City ... soo dont worry about me , i m a young strong boy ( Boy, bcoze ,  i want to enjoy my teenage a little more hahaha  ... if you cant believe on wat i said , have a look of my pic in gallery :grin ) ... i will be more happy if you people wait for call for help ... soo please let me talk over vitamins & minerals ad availablity and un-availablity of the supplements here in my city freely , to share the knowledge that i gain while finding good supplements in my area to help other thals ..
to help other Pakistani and FSD'ians thal , soo, they become to get best available supplement over here ....

hey , this post is gonna soo serious na ??? ... sorry for aal that i said here on this forum .. if i or my words offend anyone please ignore the words and sorry in advance for that .. i hope know one feel ofended of wat i said .. this wat i want to say to a long time  the time when i Andy Sent my that Package , i do appreciate wat andy did for me and i respect the feelings of all of you .. i wanted to say thanx to andy and to share with you all wat how commited andy is , to this site and to help all the people here . .. but , i think there are alot more people who deserve far more than me .. andi m getting all these here soo .... dont worry, i will let you know when-ever i failed to et anything here in my city ..

Edited : i dont mean to show anger or i m not talking in angery tone .. i m saying this all very politely and in smiling manners .. soo , please dont think that i m angery or to show anger .. i love the way you all are supporting me , its is just to say wat i feel and to make sure a few things. .. dont mind it and  please appreciate wat i said , i will be happy to get positive response to you all, over it,  ...

once again a big...big.... very big :thankyou2 Andy .....

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 09:54:17 PM by nice friend »

===========
Umair

Offline Dori

« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2009, 11:05:51 AM »
SF, I dont know the brand. I get hem in a box of the pharmacy. though there was a short period i get them in there orginally box, but I can't remember the name. I am sorry. Good luck with your search!

Offline LoriM

THANK YOU!
« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2009, 01:25:20 AM »
My daughter, Wei, is three.  She was adopted from China at 20 months old and has been receiving transfusion pretty much every three weeks since coming home. Month after month I asked her doctor about vitamins for her as I wanted her body to be as healthy as possible.  Month after month the only thing anyone at the hospital could tell me was "folic acid".  I decided to take matters into my own hands and found you.  The next day I went out and purchased all that were recommended.  I gave her 1/2 dose until we saw the doctor.  I think he approved the full dose, but I'd have to double check if he approved the full or the half.  Anyway.  Her last transfusion was postponed for a week.  We went back today (3 weeks post transfusion) and her Hgb was 9.7!  We were postponed one more week! 

Going from three weeks to four would be incredible!!!!!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for researching and sharing what you learned! 

A thankful mom,
Lori
Lori
Wei's Mom
(Beta Thal Major)

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2009, 10:52:01 PM »
Hello Lori

You did the right thing for Wei, supplements, minerals and antioxidants are important pilliars in the management of thal. Keep searching ad reading and please do share any of your concerns.

How about her ferritin levels and what is the plan for chelation?

Keep it up

manal

Offline SF

« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2009, 07:43:39 AM »
I think I have found what I had been looking for, for some time now, a chewable multivitamin and multimineral without iron!! It, unfortunately, contains some Vit C  :(

Manal, thank you so much for your informative PM!  :hugfriend

Below are the specific supplements the multi-vit/multi-mineral that I bought today contains.

Vit A (4000 IU, 75% as beta-carotene)
Vit C (75 mg)
Vit D (400 IU)
Vit E (70 IU, it's dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, not d-alpha)
Thiamin (Vit B1 - 2.2 mg)
Riboflavin (Vit B2 - 2.7 mg)
Niacin (12 mg)
Vit B6 (7 mg)
Folic Acid (500 mcg)
Vit B12 (25 mcg)
Biotin (45 mcg)
Pantothenic Acid (10 mg)
Calcium (200 mg)
Phosphorus (125 mg)
Iodine (100 mcg)
Magnesium (50 mg)
Zinc (15 mg)
Selenium (22.5 mcg)
Copper (2 mg)
Manganese (4.5 mg)
Chromium (100 mcg)
Molybdenum (25 mcg)

It also contains the following:
Nickel (5 mcg)
Silicon (4 mg)
Tin (10 mcg)
Vanadium (10 mcg)
Lutein (250 mcg)

In addition to above, I also take Calcium + Vit D Supplement that contains the following:
Vit D (400 IU)
Calcium (600 mg)
Magnesium (40 mg)
Zinc (7.5 mg)
Copper (1 mg)
Manganese (1.8 mg)
Boron (250 mcg)

Andy,
I would like to ask you if it would be okay to take this much Vit C (75 mg)?
On the multi-vit container, it's suggested to chew one tablet a day. I would like to ask you if taking one of each (1 Multi-Vit tablet and 1 Calc + Vit D tablet) would be okay, or would you suggest a different combination (the above don't fulfill the exact dosage recommended by you)?
Also, is there anything in these supplements that could potentially be harmful to beta-thal majors and that I should not be taking?
Thank you so much!

So, it looks like I'll only be missing IP6.. I'll try to look that up at Puritan.

Best regards,
SF

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 08:42:00 AM by SF »

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2009, 03:03:41 PM »
SF,

If you use desferal you can take this multivitamin with your desferal.  I give my son his multi as well as another 100mg vitamin C pill with his desferal at night.

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Zaini

« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2009, 03:21:09 PM »
Hi Guys,

I found a Vitamin B supplement for Lil Z,its Neurobion,it has

Vitamin B1           100 mg
    Vitamin B6           200 mg
    Vitamin B12   200 micrograms

In addition to that she is taking folic acid or B9 10 mg separately,so is that too much or just enough?

Also can i take it? But please tell me if its going to increase my appetite because i really can not afford it  :rotfl :rotfl

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2009, 03:28:35 PM »
Zaini,
But please tell me if its going to increase my appetite because i really can not afford it 

You're too cute  :biggrin

The B vitamins are higher than what I am giving lil A.  He gets 50mg.  They are however good for you, you will have more energy too.  (I take 100mg when I remember  :wink.)

Sharmin

Sharmin

Offline Zaini

« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2009, 03:32:27 PM »
 :cloud9

So then i should give it on alternate days to Lil Z?

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk