Vitamin and Mineral Supplementation in Thalassemia

• 249 Replies

Offline SF

Re: Vitamin and Mineral Supplementation in Thalassemia
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2009, 05:33:50 PM »
BTW, the multivit I bought yesterday is comparable to Centrum Silver but is Walgreens brand.

It's made especially for Adults over 50. But, I think the main difference between regular and Silver Supplements is that it does not contain iron. Also, I'm glad to know that it contains no gelatin that I won't take. The source of gelatin is white fish which is totally fine!

Please do let me know how many tabs I should take a day and whether it sounds like a good supplement?

Thanks!

Offline T @ r ! Q

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2009, 07:23:18 AM »
SF,

Vit C (75 mg)
Vit E (70 IU, it's dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, not d-alpha)

Vit E is very less in it i think. I take 400 I.U daily and dose upto 600 I.U is considered safe (if natural vit e is used)

Regarding Vit-C, I've seen a spike (a big one) in my S.feritin in the past six months while i was taking around 100 mg Vit C daily and also vit-c is only recommended with DFO so you will not be able to take this supplement on the day you are not on DFO. While i did some research on it i found out that Vit-C is not recommended to patients with high ferritin and specially if they have overload in heart. Our forum experts can shed some more light on it

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 12:26:10 PM by T @ r ! Q »
Falling down is not defeat... Defeat is when you refuse to get up...
The one who kneels to Allah, can standup to anything.

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2009, 01:08:48 PM »
SF n Tariq,
 :agree to Tariq bhai , that it has realy small ammount of vit-e , ... and you can take upto 600mg ( i m talking about Natural Vitamin E ) ... but you can't take high doses of  Dl-Alpha tocopheryl acetate ( synthetic one ) ..  i dont remember  but Andy has mentioned it somewhere .. Got it ..
Not only is synthetic vitamin E much less efficient, but it shouldn't be taken in high doses. When taking more than 100 IU of E daily, it needs to be natural E. My doctor now warns against using synthetic E in high doses.

and as for vitamin-c , i believe that you can take this multi-vitamnin twice while you are on chelation with DFO IF  ( a big IF )  you're not already having alot of iron in your Blood stream ( S.fe show's the iron in blood , if i m not wrong  ) , so i think that if you're having alot of iron in your blood stream then you dont need to add up more iron in your blood stream to chelate ,  i think you can start vitamin-C in the case your S.fe come's reayl down then  ( and if urine colour isn't changing during cheltaion  ) . other wise it could harm your heart ... its my opinion dont know if you're gonna agree r not but its wat i think ....

PS , be careful with medicine dont forget to ask your doc bfore dooing anything related to the medicini ....

Best Regards
Take care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline SF

« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2009, 10:24:45 AM »
Sharmin, Tariq, and Umair,

Thanks for all your feedback.  :hugfriend
After reading Tariq and Umair's posts, now I'm confused whether I want to take this multivitamin or look for a better one with natural vit E and hopefully no vit C or at least a lot less of it..  :dunno  I like lemon/lime and drink OJ and have other citrus stuff, so, I don't want to add to my current daily intake of Vit C through supplements.

Even if Vit C is bad (in large quantities) for us, don't we still need at least 100% DV of Vit C for normal function? In other words, is it ok not to worry too much about Vit C we're getting in our diet, but just don't take more through supplements?

Regards,
SF

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2009, 02:32:50 PM »
Vit E (70 IU, it's dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, not d-alpha)
When taking more than 100 IU of E daily, it needs to be natural E. My doctor now warns against using synthetic E in high doses
Hi SF,
you can take this supplement although it har synthetic Vit-E according to the quote from Andy , i think you can take 100IU synthetic and its not a probleme or or good reason to left that supplement you found ... that has only 70IU synthetic Vit-E ( much less than 100 na ) ad Andy's doctor warned him for taking more than 100IU synthetic oone  .... hey about vit-C , i have another option , Guava a medium size guava contains's 125 mg of vit-C in it , i think nothing is better than this natural vit-c supplement and yes orange is also a fine choice as a medium size orange has 136mg iron  if you ... when my S.FE was a little high and i was asking for the permission to my doctor to start Vit-C even for lower doses , she always said no ( coze i was and still sometimes have the symptoms of Congestive heart failure ) , but once she said " if you wana start vit-C then you can take an orange or guava for that reason ... isearched on internet and found that Guava and orange has the almost same vlue of daily vit-C intake that people are saying to take (daily intake 100-125mg in dividend doses, and for chelation day its upto 200mg in dividend doses , ) ..

In addition to above, I also take Calcium + Vit D Supplement that contains the following:
Vit D (400 IU)
Calcium (600 mg)
Magnesium (40 mg)
Zinc (7.5 mg)
Copper (1 mg)
Manganese (1.8 mg)
Boron (250 mcg)
you can take Osteocare as a replacement of this supplemetn you mentioned ... please vist their site to read complete details ....

about first mult-ivitamin :
as you're compliant with chelation and doing it 5 days a week , you can take this  suppllement once just after starting chelation ,,,.... its my personal opinion  soo please consult your doc before doing anything or starting any supplement ... i always ask to my doc first before satrting anything new ( i asked  even before starting osteocare ) so it will be best to ask your doc first  , but after gathering the info about  a  few good supplements , soo it will bcome easy for your doc to chose one of those good supplements ....

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline T @ r ! Q

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2009, 05:13:34 PM »
SF,

I like lemon/lime and drink OJ and have other citrus stuff, so, I don't want to add to my current daily intake of Vit C through supplements.

Yes its better not to take vit c thru supplement if ur already taking naturally

In other words, is it ok not to worry too much about Vit C we're getting in our diet, but just don't take more through supplements?

true in case if ferritin is high like > 5000

Umair,

Guava a medium size guava contains's 125 mg of vit-C in it
Again this is too much for high ferritin

Falling down is not defeat... Defeat is when you refuse to get up...
The one who kneels to Allah, can standup to anything.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2009, 06:23:38 PM »
If you are not taking it with desferal, you should keep supplemental vitamin C to a minimum, if at all. If your ferritin is already quite high, it may be best to not take extra C until you get it under control, as there is too much free iron in your system and adding vitamin C can cause iron "clumping" in your heart and reduce heart function. I feel the best source of vitamin C for thals not taking it with desferal is from diet. You can eat citrus, but eat it as a snack between meals so it does not enhance iron absorption from your other foods. A mid-afternoon orange is a great idea. Even grapefruit with breakfast is OK if you are not having any iron containing foods, but this is a personal preference, so look at what you're eating before adding citrus with the meal.

And everyone, please do not ignore the overwhelming evidence that has built about the great importance of vitamin D, the best source being the sun. Sunlight will do good for you. In the winter months, take supplemental vitamin D of at least 2000 IU daily. I was just outside on this gorgeous day and the difference the sunshine makes is incredible.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline SF

« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2009, 03:34:40 AM »
Thanks, everyone, for all your feedback and recommendations!
Regards,
SF

Offline Dori

« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2009, 05:29:31 PM »
Today I ordered ip6, and if all goes well I can pick it up tomorrow. I have no clue how it looks, but my weight is 42 at the moment & I moved Exjade to the evenings (because of the exams during the day).

Offline akka1981

• Think positive, Confidence is the path to sucess
« Reply #114 on: August 03, 2009, 06:42:56 AM »

I take Multiforte capsule which has got da following nutrients. I have to reduce Vit E. I was asked to take 1000 mg per day. Kalzana which has got Calcium and Vit C.

MULTIFORTE® CAPSULE
Multivitamin
Multiforte is a multivitamin formulation intended for oral use.
Each Multiforte capsule contains:
Vitamin A USP 10000iu
Vitamin D2 USP 400iu
Vitamin B1 USP 5mg
Vitamin B2 USP 5mg
Vitamin B6 USP 1.5mg
Vitamin B12 USP 5mcg
Niacinamide USP 50mg
CalciumPantothenate USP 5mg
Folic Acid USP 1mg
Vitamin C BP 75mg
Vitamin E USP 15mg
Vitamin K USP 0.1mg
Novomix Insulin and Glcuphage 500mg for Diabetics

In addition to the minerals and vitamins i take

Climen for HRT

Deferiprone and desferal  for iron chelation.

Offline Dori

« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2009, 09:45:45 AM »
Got a qustion:
How many Vit D and Vit B complex should I take? (I can't remember anymore  :shy
B complex:
B1 50mg
B2 50mg
B3 50mg
B5 50mg
B6 25mg
B12 50mcg
Folic Acid 50mvg
Biotine (?) 50 mcg
Choline(?) 20mg
Insositol 50mg
PABA (?) 50mg

Their advise is to take daily 2 tablets.

Thank you in advance

Dore
(p.s. I know I must take 400IU of Vit E daily..)

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2009, 12:39:22 PM »
Dore,

This B-Complex seems good to me and once in a day is enough i think,be sure not to take it on empty stomach,as for vitamin D,have you ever tested your levels? You better get it tested,other wise i think 1000 IU would be enough,unless you go out in sun light a lot.

hope this helps,

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Dori

« Reply #117 on: November 21, 2009, 06:38:20 PM »
I need more help to create a good supplement plan. My weight is <45kg. If thats help.
Q1: Which supplements should I take?
Q2: How much should I take?

Offline Prets

« Reply #118 on: November 22, 2009, 05:59:18 PM »
Dore,

My weight is also < 45 kgs.

One thing I came to know is that I dont handle adult supplements very well. For a long time we could not understand why any adult medicines, including antibiotics made me even more sick, or I would react to it, like allergies. Like everytime i had mild fever and i took paracetamol to bring it down, i would get very bad chills and followed by very high fever.

Then a few doctors started giving me medicines meant for babies and little kids. And it worked better and faster.

The supplements you take should be also calculated based on your body weight if possible, IF your doctor says its ok to do that.

The other option is to start with a low dose and gradually work it up to the dosages you need. That gives time to the body to adjust and use it all better.

I'm sorry I didn't answer your question.  :scratch But I wanted to share this with you, because of your low weight.

:smiley
Symptomatic Beta Thal Minor.

Offline Dori

« Reply #119 on: November 22, 2009, 10:06:28 PM »
You did answer questions Preety. I am glad I am not the only one. People do judge very soon that I have ana, but I always have been so small. That's who I am or who we are.  :hugfriend

I saw I posted twice the same message within a short time without remember it! The Q is stil valid. All my vitamin boxes will be empty soon and I should make a new plan. I find a good new shop so that's not the problem anymore. I just couldnt choose last time and need a little extra help.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk