Vitamin and Mineral Supplementation in Thalassemia

• 249 Replies

Offline Waleed

• I'm not normal but Supernormal
Re: Vitamin and Mineral Supplementation in Thalassemia
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2012, 07:07:57 PM »
Dear Pratik,

It means two tablets together yield Cal 800 and so on ... Yes Osteocare is brand name, its just famous in my town thats it. You may select that gives you required cal/mag levels and suits your pocket  :wink . i will never buy osteocare for this much if I were in my country :biggrin
Waleed

« Reply #136 on: August 28, 2012, 03:56:36 AM »
dear andy...
Thanks a lot for the related information that i have been searchin for.
i have a thal patient daughter, she was diagnose at the age of 2 and now she was already 4 year old, we already undergone 3 time blood transfusion since tha last time she was diagnose and the last transfusion was just last june 2012, and i feel that her situation was getting worst since we dont know exactly what foods or diet should we let her to eat. since she was still at her very young age, its very difficult to control her diet.
   is there anything or any ways you can suggest on how we can manage her health situation before its too late...

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #137 on: August 28, 2012, 10:14:31 AM »
dear andy...
Thanks a lot for the related information that i have been searchin for.
i have a thal patient daughter, she was diagnose at the age of 2 and now she was already 4 year old, we already undergone 3 time blood transfusion since tha last time she was diagnose and the last transfusion was just last june 2012, and i feel that her situation was getting worst since we dont know exactly what foods or diet should we let her to eat. since she was still at her very young age, its very difficult to control her diet.
   is there anything or any ways you can suggest on how we can manage her health situation before its too late...
Hello Wacon, welcome to thalpal. I assume your daughter is Thal minor?
Every child is special.

« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2012, 06:22:27 AM »
Hi everyone..need ur opinion here..my name is Nur, Hbe Beta Thalassaemia, transfusing every 2 month and now on L1 and desferal. Is that correct pure marine collagen has high level of iron and thalassaemic should avoid it? How can we take collagen supplement without iron? And can thalassaemic wear corset for beauty and weight purpose?Thanks.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2012, 04:32:31 PM »
I don't think that collagen is high in iron. Iron is not listed as a nutrient in the various collagen products I have seen for sale. I doubt iron is a concern.
As far as corsets, it is OK to wear as long as they don't endanger the rib bones. If your bones are particularly weak, caution should be taken.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #140 on: October 24, 2012, 05:43:10 PM »
IP6 (phytic acid)  where can i get this in greece?? could anyone please help me?

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #141 on: December 06, 2012, 07:22:37 PM »
I want to ask one thing.

I'm taking Osteocare (800mg calcium + 300mg magnesium + 10mg zinc). 800mg calcium is 100% RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance of dose).

Andy, you mentioned we can take upto 1500 mg.

I was wondering if I could switch to 3 tablets from 2 (currently)? So it would yield me 1200mg calcium + 450mg magnesium. Can I do it? IP 6 also provides around 50mg magnesium and 100mg calcium or such so in total it'd round up a good figure. I find I need to make my bones even more stronger as I'm an osteoporosis patient and it's still affecting the way I live my life.

Would there be an overdose or such?

-P.
Every child is special.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #142 on: December 06, 2012, 07:50:20 PM »
Pratik,
That depends on your body weight. If you take more than you need, it only washes through you, so it's something of a waste.
Andy

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #143 on: December 07, 2012, 06:01:09 AM »
Pratik,
That depends on your body weight. If you take more than you need, it only washes through you, so it's something of a waste.
I do around 43 kg currently, would it be appropriate?

-P.
Every child is special.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #144 on: December 07, 2012, 06:28:23 AM »
Your current dose is fine for your weight.
Andy

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #145 on: December 07, 2012, 06:48:33 AM »
Your current dose is fine for your weight.
Then roughly around what weight could I increase dose more by 400mg (calcium)?

-P.
Every child is special.

« Reply #146 on: January 03, 2013, 07:32:51 PM »
Please someone help me!! I have thal minor and celiac disease. I have gone up to 30 years of age without iron supplements! When I got pregnant with my first, my doctor tole me to take 3 iron pulls a day 300mg. I did and continued to do so with my other two children.  After my second child was born 2007. I started losing weight, major tummy troubles was vet sick and very thin. 2011 I was diagnosed with celiac disease. So basically for 7 years I have been on and off of iron supplements. I was told I had low iron, anemia etc.  2 weeks ago I started taking a new multi vitamin called CeliAct. I dropped the iron supp. As I was taking 1 300 mg daily. I never knew that thals were no supposed to take iron. I did what my doctor told me to do.  What should I do, and what tests to I need to check to see if I indeed need iron.

Here is the link of the vitamin I am taking any advice would vibe greatly appreciated. This is completely stressing me out and consuming my every being!? I am scared now that I did damage with all that iron.

www. Celiact.com

Thanks

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #147 on: January 04, 2013, 05:40:32 AM »
Please someone help me!! I have thal minor and celiac disease. I have gone up to 30 years of age without iron supplements! When I got pregnant with my first, my doctor tole me to take 3 iron pulls a day 300mg. I did and continued to do so with my other two children.  After my second child was born 2007. I started losing weight, major tummy troubles was vet sick and very thin. 2011 I was diagnosed with celiac disease. So basically for 7 years I have been on and off of iron supplements. I was told I had low iron, anemia etc.  2 weeks ago I started taking a new multi vitamin called CeliAct. I dropped the iron supp. As I was taking 1 300 mg daily. I never knew that thals were no supposed to take iron. I did what my doctor told me to do.  What should I do, and what tests to I need to check to see if I indeed need iron.

Here is the link of the vitamin I am taking any advice would vibe greatly appreciated. This is completely stressing me out and consuming my every being!? I am scared now that I did damage with all that iron.

www. Celiact.com

Thanks
Hi Chili,

Thal Majors cannot take iron supplement as they already are iron overloaded but thal minors taking iron pills is just fine. Although I feel 300mg (if daily) is little or very high dosage.

Have you got your ferritin (the concentration or amount of iron present in blood stream) report done recently?

-P.
Every child is special.

Offline Narendra

« Reply #148 on: January 04, 2013, 07:12:54 PM »

www. Celiact.com

Thanks

chili - Welcome to thalpal,

Iron would be needed if you are truly iron deficient. This can be found out by undergoing an iron panel testing. The Iron panel tests consists of serum ferritin, serum iron and total iron binding capacity.

Many doctor's who do not know about thalassemia and Iron unknowingly prescribe Iron which does not help if a person is NOT Iron deficient.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #149 on: January 05, 2013, 02:35:36 AM »
Narendra has advised you correctly about iron. I don't think anyone, thal or non-thal should take iron supplements unless an iron panel has been run and IDA has been diagnosed. Long term iron supplements can cause damage to organs as the iron builds up. Most patients will show an increase in Hb after one month on iron. If this does not happen, IDA cannot be assumed. Iron is also rough on the digestive system, so those with celiac should be very careful about what form of iron they take. Injections may be necessary when needed, so as not to disrupt the digestive system even further.
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk