Vitamin and Mineral Supplementation in Thalassemia

• 249 Replies
Re: Vitamin and Mineral Supplementation in Thalassemia
« Reply #195 on: December 07, 2015, 05:20:50 PM »
Hi there!  I was diagnosed with Beta Thalassemia Minor when I was 13 years old.  I have always dealt with fatigue, cold hands and feet, digestive issues, mental fog, and weak brittle finger nails. I have tried so many different supplements, with no success.  In the last couple of months I began taking some new supplements and have noticed a huge improvement in the way I feel.  One is a ProBiotic, which is truly a lifesaver for my belly!  No more stomach upset or hours spent in the bathroom each day.  The other is a combination of Vitamin E (Mixed Tocotrienols) and a super powerful antioxidant call Astaxanthin.  This supplement is called Amplify A.T. I wil include links below for anyone interested in learning more about these two products in hopes that you too can benefit from them. I can honestly say that I feel so much better on these two products.

ProBiotic Restore Ultra
https://www.advocare.com/151025123/Store/ItemDetail.aspx?itemCode=W3812&id=TS

Amplify A.T.
https://www.advocare.com/151025123/Store/ItemDetail.aspx?itemCode=W3031&id=D

Andy:  I would love your input on these products. 

Thank you!

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #196 on: December 09, 2015, 12:08:23 AM »
Hi Michelle,

I recommend vitamin E to everyone. Astaxanthin is a powerful antioxidant and gets very high recommendations. I would say you are on a good course with these supplements. If you aren't already taking it, I would suggest adding vitamin D to the mix. If you bruise easily, add a vitamin C supplement, as well.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #197 on: February 13, 2016, 03:24:24 AM »
Hi Andy, I've been a member on this forum for awhile but I've just started posting more for some advice. I was diagnosed with minor thal when I was 17, now I'm 19. 2 years ago, my hemeatologist recommended me to take geritol. But I feel terrible any time I take any sort of medication. He recomended me to take geritol because the iron dosage in it is low. I'm always anemic and my iron level is usually under 10. I've been suffering from hair loss for the past 2 years and nothing has helped. I've lost so much hair that it makes me depressed. My ferriting level is low (24), and it's supposed to be over 70 to stop hair loss. I'm not sure how much iron I'm supposed to take because I don't want to overdose. My sister was diagnosed with hypothyroidism last week and I feel like I might have it too, except I don't gain any weight. I've been taking my temperature under the armpit and it's usually 95-96 f.  Should I get my thyroid tested? And what should I do to increase my iron level? I've been a vegetarian for my whole life.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #198 on: February 13, 2016, 07:32:51 PM »
mskk1354,

Your Hb and ferritin are low enough to suspect that iron deficiency is also present. Below 10 is lower than most minors experience. Do get your thyroid tested, as it may be part of your problem.
Please take a look at this link http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php/topic,4890.0.html
My first suggestion would be that you start taking at least 2 mg of L-methylfolate daily. I would also suggest that you take vitamin D. B complex would also be of help, as well as a sublingual B-12 supplement. You may need some iron, but it has to be in a form that does not upset or bloat your stomach. If Geritol does bother you, see if you can find Spatone 100% Natural Iron Supplement, http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019M7OCA?keywords=iron%20water&qid=1455391904&ref_=sr_1_4&sr=8-4
Andy

« Reply #199 on: February 13, 2016, 11:10:46 PM »
Hi Andy, Thank you very much for the advice. I will make sure that I take all of the supplements that you've recommended me. My doctor did suggest me to take sublingual b-12 and I do have 3 bottles of it.

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #200 on: March 26, 2016, 07:20:38 AM »
I am using L-Carnitine 500 mg (P#3840) currently it out of stock
Another option is L- Carnitine 500mg (P#016830) which is available

Please advice me whether both the products are the same or different?
Start listening your body, it always gives signs

Offline Waleed

• I'm not normal but Supernormal
« Reply #201 on: March 26, 2016, 06:18:37 PM »
Dharmesh,

I guess its just the difference in number of tablets, thats it.
Waleed

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #202 on: March 27, 2016, 06:21:20 PM »
Waleed,

Yes the content looks the same but the product # 1684 was also having qty option 120 tabs which is currently now removed from there.

And i want to be sure before placing the order.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #203 on: March 29, 2016, 02:10:50 AM »
Yeah, it's all the same product.
Andy

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #204 on: March 29, 2016, 05:44:27 AM »
Thanks Andy & Waleed

Offline Dori

« Reply #205 on: April 28, 2016, 09:02:51 AM »
Calcium citrate is more easily absorbed calcium than carbonate. All calcium is antacid. I would rate citrate higher than carbonate. These are instructions for taking it.

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/calcium-citrate.html

Oho, I too should take calcium citrate powder with a vit D tablet. Does anyone else takes powder? I have to measure it myself. I am suppose to take it two times a day. I also take Ferriprox three times a day. Does anyone has an idea when to take calcium citrate?
I had no idea one can take it with water. I also mix it through yoghurt. But since I have not always yoghurt with me I rarely take it  :blush [In case you wonder: I receive a box with 500 mg of the powder. There are no instructions besides that I should take it twice a day. I cannot even calculate myself if I really should take 2x X gr a day according to a formule.]
So my question is: How and when would you take calcium citrate powder two times a day when you take  three times a day Ferriprox??? (And when you are not home)
(I am baffled that you should take calcium citrate (powder?) with water!!)

I take vit D with calcium citrate powder. Should I add something else?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:27:21 AM by Dori »

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #206 on: May 04, 2016, 02:16:44 AM »
You should take the calcium citrate with meals. I suggest adding magnesium if you're not already taking it.
Andy

Offline Dori

« Reply #207 on: May 04, 2016, 06:43:57 PM »
You should take the calcium citrate with meals. I suggest adding magnesium if you're not already taking it.

Hi Andy, thank you for your advice. I do not take magnesium with it. Unfortunately I had to quit again as I became again very sick when I took it a couple of days straight. I felt very unwell and I could only lay down flat.  I have make the decision to quit it. I experience bad side effects everytime I follow the instructures. I must take 3 grams two times a day. If you have a suggestion or a solution, anyone who reads this, then please share it with me.

Offline Dharmesh

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #209 on: May 10, 2016, 10:52:49 PM »
That was one of the worst articles I have ever read. It is so easy to find dozens of studies done right at Johns Hopkins demonstrating the effectiveness of various supplements, yet you can also find a professor who will say they're worthless. My own life tells a story of the importance of good nutrition. One thing I do listen to is my own body. I've learned to ignore the so called studies that conflict with dozens of studies done at the same institutions.
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk