Reproduction

• 41 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Reproduction
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 05:14:05 AM »
With male and female thals, if there has been no severe iron overload that has damaged the glands, particularly the pituitary gland, puberty should advance normally, allowing them to have normal reproductive function as an adult. When there has been some damage, hormone therapy can often restore reproductive health.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11779601

Persons with homozygous beta-thalassemia were as likely as healthy peers to be in a relationship, employed full-time, sexually active, and using contraception and to have had children...This study suggests that with optimal therapy, most young adults with homozygous beta-thalassemia can achieve reproductive, sexual, and social experiences similar to those of their healthy peers.

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 10:04:11 AM »
Hmm...This is quite interesting especially for me as I am almost 27 and still look like a pre-teen.

It's quite a serious matter but not an easy one to address; especially when ethical issues are related with it in societies like Pakistan; and by the time you discover this issue after marriage; it could be too late.

Come to think of it; I can't even ask my doctor about it as she's a lady. However, I wonder why she is not even slightest concerned about it and something relating to it like my looks. I know we have always put off our childish looks aside in a laughing manner but I can't believe even my doctors do the same. Why?!? My doctor put it off in a laughing manner when I first asked her about a year ago. Ever since I never asked her again; I guess it's a "guy thing" and she's not concerned about it.

I was recommended "Testoviron" by our buddies from Karachi but I'm not into self-medication (well at least if it's not natural)
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 11:05:22 AM »
Sajid, please insist on asking whatever you think is important to your health. A doctor is a doctor being a man or a woman shouldn't make a difference as this is science, please insist even if you feel she is ignoring this issue. Tell her about this medicine or you may just consult with someone else. Please remember that your well being is the first priority :hugfriend

manal

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 01:49:49 PM »
Sajid,

You can ask for a referral to male doctor, but the important thing is to get the situation addressed. To be honest, it is very unethical for her to laugh at your query. If I were you I would had took serious note of it as it is my health not hers.

Regards.

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 02:13:37 PM »
She was not just alone; another male doctor was with her and they were not laughing at me but rather with me.

The other doctor (who is a psychiatrist) was like "I wish I didn't have to shave every day like you. ha ha ha" :raspberries

Anyway even though I have very friendly terms with my doctors but I'm not going to ask her again.
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 03:16:28 PM »
That's outrageous  :madno

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Ayesha

• Ayesha's Blog!
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2008, 03:54:26 PM »
Ok, this is what I hate... not taking things seriously.., Sajid if possible you can come to Karachi then you meet endocrinologist in Aga Khan, my brother is under a male doctor (Dr. Jabbar) and my doctor is a female (Dr. Aisha), and both the doctors have said that we both can get married anytime we want and it defines everything that we are grown up *me blushes* lol ..., so brother it is just an advice... its better to show someone who can understand instead of taking it non serious.
-Ayesha

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2008, 04:39:15 PM »
Thanks for the offer Ayesha.

It's not that I  want to look older THAT BADLY, but it's the attitude of the doctors. When they become friendly (too friendly) they don't take things seriously.

Anyway, I will be seeing another doctor tomorrow and ask him about it. I am visiting him as he has asked for my X rays for orthopedic consultation at his hospital for my painful joint problem as I've been on Calcium and Vit-D (alfacalcidol) for about an year without any difference. :-\
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Ayesha

• Ayesha's Blog!
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2008, 04:42:01 PM »
AaAaAaa Joint pains.. just don't talk :/, Salman have leg pain issue, and am having 'bit' joint pain but it does go away when I use calcium regularly :$ lol
-Ayesha

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 04:47:30 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that...

There's something strangely wrong with my joints. My doctor told me that it's the muscles that are weak and staying on Calcium and Vit-d will cure it. I was insisting that my muscles feel fine but nooooo he just ignored it and said that first we'll see if it cures it and then move to the joints/bones. Once again this proves what happens when doctors don't listen to "experienced" patients. He wasted a whole year and I'm still standing in the same place :(
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Ayesha

• Ayesha's Blog!
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 04:49:48 PM »
SUE THEM!!! yes ;d don't mind but if am using a medicine and its not working I hardly wait for 2 months.. and insist doctor to check it out... so advice is still there, change ALL YOUR STUPID DOCTORS :p
-Ayesha

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 05:08:59 PM »
I wish I could, but this is Pakistan :biggrin

Anyway, I will ask this doctor tomorrow and see what he has to say. If he also proves to be a wisecrack then it's battle stations for me. :bat
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Ayesha

• Ayesha's Blog!
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 06:31:27 PM »
Don't you worry am good in fighting :$ need any help? call me ;) LOL!
-Ayesha

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2008, 03:38:22 AM »
I hope your joints feel better soon Sajid. 

I hope that you get the help you need - remember treatment of thalassemia is treating every aspect of your health - physical, mental and emotional.  It's not just about survival - its about quality of life too.  It seems like your doctors are nice, and it's great that they can share a chuckle with you but I hope that all of your concerns will be addressed and you will have access to all of the help available to you.  Don't miss out on anything in life just because you were reluctant to ask your doctor. 

all the best,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2008, 04:42:02 AM »
Thanks everyone!

I'll be off to the hospital soon. My joint pains are not so bad as they don't hurt in the daily routine; They only cause pain when I put too much stress on them like a long walk or when kneeling while praying.

Yes, my doctors are very nice and friendly, but sometimes I feel they should behave more professionally.
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk