Thanl Minor & Thal Normal- chances of getting Thal child??

• 3 Replies

Offline APS

• APS
Thanl Minor & Thal Normal- chances of getting Thal child??
« on: October 22, 2007, 09:09:13 AM »
 just became the member and trying to post my query.,

Introducing myself - as 37 years M havinh Thal Minor. I am married since 11 years having sweet daughter of age 10. My wife is Non Thal. I could only found out about the Thal when my daughter diagnosed with the same when she born.

I want to know if we go for second child. Now knowing I am Thal Minor and my wife Non thal - what are the chances of having successfull pregnancy and getting healthy new child>???

Kindly advice...

Best regards

APS

Re: Thanl Minor & Thal Normal- chances of getting Thal child??
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 02:11:14 PM »
There is a 25% chance of having a Thal Major child if both parents are thal minor. A child adopts one gene from each parents. Each thal minor parent carries one healthy and one defective gene, if a child adopts both defective genes from the parents he/she will be born thal major, a child can adopt both healthy genes from the parents and become completely disease free (chance of 25% as well). A child can adopt one healthy and one defective gene and become a thal minor like the parents (50% chance).

In simple words, if both parents are thal minor the thal chances in a child are:

Thal Major 25%
Non-Thal  25%
Thal Minor 50%

In your case, since your wife is non-thal the worst you can get is a thal minor child (25% chance) and chances of a complete healthy baby is 75%.

Please note there are very rare occasions where a chils is Thal Major even one parent is Non-Thal, in such case there may be some other genes come into play.
Regards.

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 05:50:37 AM »
C.F,

The baby will receive a gene from "both" parents. The baby won't get both genes from one parent. So the baby will get either a Thal. gene  or a normal one from him AND a normal gene from the mother always. The baby can't get both normal genes from the mother the father's genes also have to be involved.

Therefore the chances of Thal. Minor/Normal is 50/50 not 25/75. Remember the baby will have to get either a normal gene or Thal. gene from him too.

Hope this clears the confusion.
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 01:42:22 PM »
Thanks Sajid, clear as crystal  :smiley
Regards.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk