Climbing a mountain...

• 8 Replies
Climbing a mountain...
« on: October 24, 2007, 01:56:30 PM »
Hello, I am planning to climb mount kilimanjaro next year but I have just found out that I have beta thalassemia minor... will this cause me any problems? Is there danger that I might die? I don't really feel that I have been affected in anyway as a carrier of this disease since I am a healthy and active individual. I am a competitive wrestler and have competed in some long distance running events. The only strange thing I have noticed, but until now have not linked with being a carrier, is that I have these wierd heart palpitation things that come and go. They don't particularly bother me because they don't seem to affect anything that I do.

I really need to know whether I am at a higher risk of dying from climbing this mountain. Am I more susceptible to altitude sickness as a carrier?

Thanks for any help!

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Re: Climbing a mountain...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 02:23:16 PM »
Hello :welcome,

Well, being a minor does limit your oxygen content in blood which can be crucial in high altitudes as the concentration and pressure is relatively lower than the base. However, it really depends on your own level of tolerance. You might need to carry extra oxygen flasks which will add to the load.

Frankly I suggest playing it safe. Don't do it alone. If you have to climb it, then do it under supervision of medical technicians and emergency rescue team lest you might need serious help.
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 06:08:57 PM »
Thanks for the reply! I'm not climbing the mountain alone, I'm doing it with a lot of other people but I'm not sure whether there are going to be any medical technicians around!

It would just be really frustrating to have this thalassemia minor thing stop me from doing it because until recently I didn't really even know about it.

I think I'll probably have to go to a doctor and get their opinion, because although I am very keen to climb it and not being allowed to do so due to this thalassemia thing would be extremely depressing, I think I'd rather play it safe and avoid death for a bit longer.

Any further input (maybe even from a mountaineer enthusiast or two!) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 05:23:12 AM »
Hi,

It's good to know that you won't be going alone.

If you are sure that you are completely fit and can go (as only oneself can tell much better what he is capable to do) then you would be pleased to know that a group of Thal. MAJOR kids trekked their way to the base camp of K2 The second highest peak. Appearantly they had an edge as Thals. are thought to be more adaptive to low oxygen content in blood compared to normal people as they have been living with low HB throughout their lives.

However, trekking and climbing are completely different things. It's better that you have your doctor's opinion and go when he gives the green flag.

Wishing you all the best. :goodluck
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 12:52:56 PM »
Hey thanks for the information, its reassuring and inspiring to hear that story about those thal. major kids! Sorry for the confusing terminology, I'm not going to be climbing the mountain like with ropes or any kind of advanced mountaineering equipment, I'm just going to be trekking to the peak.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 06:08:36 PM »
You are in no danger at a high altitude. In fact, in some people, hemoglobin levels rise if they are at a high altitude even for just a period of 2-3 weeks. As a minor with almost no symptoms, you should not be concerned about this venture. It may be that you will tire sooner than others over long periods of exertion but this will not endanger your health. Just make sure you are physically prepared for what sounds like a very exciting adventure.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 11:31:16 PM »
Hey Andy, thankyou very much for that reassuring post! I have heard from many people now that I should be fine climbing this mountain, so my worries have now been very much alleviated and I shall start training for it and preparing myself. You said that haemoglobin levels can rise in some people at a high altitude...I was just wondering if you had any more information on this, because I would be interested to learn how that is possible! Thanks again for the replies.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 02:47:14 AM »
Hemoglobin rises at a higher altitudes as the body adapts to the lower oxygen concentration at higher altitudes. There is about a 3 week period of adjustment for the body when a significant change in altitude is experienced. Because of this, the hemoglobin level used to determine anemia must be adjusted for altitude.

From http://www.scielosp.org/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1020-49891999001100004

At high altitudes, hemoglobin concentration increases as an adaptive response to the lowered partial pressure of oxygen.

To see some differences in hemoglobin levels caused by altitude, see the following chart.

You may find as you get to higher altitude that you tire more easily, as it takes a few weeks to adjust. This is why bicyclists train at high altitudes before races. The longer the exposure to the high altitude, the higher the Hb will be, so when riding at lower altitudes, they have a temporary advantage from the higher Hb, and if riding at a high altitude, they will already be adjusted.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 05:32:15 PM »
Hello.
I was wondering if someone with Thalassemia Minor has completed the Kilimanjaro climb or any climb above 5,000 m. I plan to do the Kilimanjaro marathon and then do the 5 day climb. I was diagnosed as a child and my Hemoglobin is in 11.7-12.3 range. Only in my late 40s I started doing endurance sports and so far I am asymptomatic. Thank you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk