Bad news for indian thalassemic patients

• 3 Replies
Bad news for indian thalassemic patients
« on: June 20, 2007, 07:32:48 AM »
Bad news for indian thalassemic patients the launch of EXJADE in india is been delayed by 6month's

Now it will launch in January 2008

Offline Ash

• Thalassaemia WS
Re: Bad news for indian thalassemic patients
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 05:04:37 PM »
It has been delayed because Novartis wants the courts to rule that even if the molecules are changed by either Cipla or Dr. Reddy type pharma company then Novartis should have the right to take them to court for infringement of IP.

Of course the Indian court ruled against it. Novartis knows that the moment they launch in India its fair game for any other pharma company to make a copy of its drug and sell it at an extremely "inexpensive" rate.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 05:34:15 PM »
This almost sounds like a giant international pharmaceutical company is more interested in making obscene profits than in helping people get a drug that can save their lives. Do you think the price people are willing to pay to survive has anything to do with the ultimate cost of Exjade? Hmmm. I wonder what their equation looks like. Maybe something like this:

Cost of research and development + marketing costs + manufacturing costs + subsidizing a nifty conference costs + perceived value of one's life by patients/parents + how much can insurance companies be soaked for + legal fees to try to keep India from saving the lives of its own patients = a whole lot of $$$$.

When one compares the cost of Kelfer or the generic forms of L1 made in Pakistan to the cost of Ferriprox, which is the same drug, one might get the impression that the drug companies are making some rather tidy profits. It will be extremely interesting to see what the cost will be in India if Cipla or another manufacturer does release their own version of Exjade in India. My guess would be the cost will be less than 10% of what it costs from the mighty Novartis.

The manufacture of life-saving drugs, even when patented by another company, is allowed under international agreements. In spite of these agreements, Novartis continues to battle to prevent Exjade from being cheaply produced in India. Let's pray the Indian courts continue to put the lives of patients above profits.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Life is Beautiful ~

• Writing on behalf of my daughter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 06:49:31 AM »
Is January 2008 the correct date by which Exjade would be launched in India? If that date is correct then it would be of great help to many thalassaemia patients in India!!! Can't we expediate matters by requesting Union Health Ministry in this regard?
I want to see a definitive cure of Thalassaemia in my lifetime. May God bless all of us.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk