Hi all

• 19 Replies

Offline Narendra

Re: Hi all
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 05:15:55 PM »
Hi

This information is new to me, but i know a patient here in Egypt that has made a BMT when she was 11 months and now she is 3.5 years

Manal

Manal.. May be I should have been a little more specific... As far as I know, BMT is not done for a child under the age of 2 years in India. This is what the guru of BMT in India (Dr. Mammen Chandy) told me

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 02:40:43 AM »
The age at which a center will do a BMT for a child varies around the world, but the avoidance of host vs graft disease (HVGD) is best in children who have received the fewest (or no) transfusions. The fewer transfusions, the fewer foreign antigens that have been introduced into the patient's body, and the less likely that the child wil get HVGD. Also, the child will also have less iron caused damage to the organs, specifically the liver.

BMT has been used for some conditions on infants less than one year old, but this is controversial and mainly reserved for conditions where the patient has little chance to survive without intervention. Since thalassemia can be well controlled with treatment, it normally would not fall into this category.

From http://www.seattlecca.org/patientsandfamilies/pediatricCare/pediatricBoneMarrowTransplant/Innovations/

We have had great success performing transplants for infants with acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) diagnosed before the age of one year. In these children, use of transplantation is controversial. The Children’s Oncology Group (COG), a national consortium of pediatric cancer care centers, recommends against transplantation for these children, says Sanders. However, their overall rate of disease-free survival is only 20 percent with conventional chemotherapy, she explains — while it’s 76 percent among those who receive a transplant through SCCA and the Hutchinson Center.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Ambika

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 05:58:44 AM »
Hi all

Thanks for your wishes Yesterday I have gone for HLA mapping for both of my daughters aand now  waiting for the reports . As I was going through Puneet Posts reagrding wheat grass I think wheat grass really benefit I have also started  giving this juice  to ambika  but had to stop because her cold is not getting cured due to this juice . now Iam thinking to start it  again.

I just want to know that after BMT does the reciepient Physical appeareance get distorted.I really don't know what to do?

Rupali

Offline Narendra

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 08:32:41 PM »
I just want to know that after BMT does the reciepient Physical appeareance get distorted.I really don't know what to do?

Rupali

For transplanting the bone marrow, chemotherapy is used - which is used to kill the white blood cells, which protect our body against any foreign bodies (But, in case of BMT, we do it for the White Blood Cells to NOT attack and let the foreign body(Donor's Bone Marrow) settle in the receipients body

Chemotherapy has it's side effects, as far as I know, the physical change seen would be hair loos and wieght loss, but that is temporary.

From: http://www.marrow.org/PATIENT/Undrstnd_Disease_Treat/Undrstnd_Treat_Opt/Lrn_Other_Treatment/Chemotherapy/index.html

Side effects Of Chemotherapy
Some common side effects include:
Hair loss
Loss of hunger and loss of weight
Sores in the mouth and throat
Nausea and vomiting
Constipation
Diarrhea
Tiredness (fatigue)
Numbness of fingertips or toes caused by damage to the nervous system
Damage to the heart, liver or kidneys
Delays in growth and the ability to learn for some children
Infertility

I have seen some patients go through Chemotherapy and after loosing weight have gained the weight as well as got more weight after chemo. And obviosuly, the hair which is lost is going to come back

Offline KHALIFA

• ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 09:01:35 PM »
Hi there
          Yes as Narendra said all that happened to who take Chemotherapy  and as what happened to my son Abdulwahab he lost his waight from 28 kilos to 18 kilos also not only from Chemotherapy  he got some virale infiction and CMV who destroy his abdominale like his stomach and some PpL they have very light problems ... Now my son Abdulwahab stopping Medrole since 20th of september he start to go to the normale shape and he lost just one kilo (he was 29 now he is 28) ....
                                khalifa
                         state of kuwait
                   one for all and all for one
RED_PILOT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk