PGD / PCR for HLA matching

• 4 Replies
PGD / PCR for HLA matching
« on: December 06, 2007, 07:05:18 AM »
Hello there,

It is now possible to offer PGD (Pre-Implantation Genetic Diagnosis) for human leukocyte antigen (HLA) matching for the purpose of having a HLA-matched hematopoietic progenitor cell (HPC) donor for your Thalassemia affected child. The PGD procedure allows genetic testing to be performed on early embryos before implantation and pregnancy development for the purpose of selecting only those embryos that are HLA matched to your affected child.

When a couple has a child with a single gene disorder like Thalassemia that requires an HPC transplant, the optimal source of cells needed for transplant is an HLA-matched sibling. Donors cells need to be HLA-matched to an affected child avoid any chance for the transplanted cells to react against the child’s body.  If you undertake a natural pregnancy in the hope of having a child who is an HLA match to your affected child, there is 1 in 5 chance of conceiving a child who is an HLA match to the affected biological child. 

Following IVF, Preimplantation genetic diagnosis can be used for selecting and transferring only the embryos that are HLA matched to your affected child. Each embryo has a 1 in 5 chance of matching the affected biological child. With PGD, the goal is to select those embryos that are a match and transfer them. In this process, we can significantly increase the chance to have a child that is HLA-matched to your affected child.

If you want more information on this, Please send me an email medical@medasiahealthcare.com or you can call me on +66-899-237-805 / +1-716-304-3000 /

Sincerely,

B. Raj Pillai
http://www.medasiahealthcare.com
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 09:03:22 AM by rajpillai »

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Re: PGD / PCR for HLA matching
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 07:45:55 AM »
Hello,
:welcome to the site!

Thanks for your valuable information. Please keep in touch as there might be many parents that might find this information useful for deciding to opt for a HLA matched sibling for their Thalassemic child.
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 09:08:45 AM »
Thank you,

We have helped 3 parents to undersgo the HLA matching procedure through PGD/PCR process through our Lab in Bangkok.

as for the results are concerned, the First couple had to undergo 2 cycles since the first implantation falied to result in pregnancy, but the second one did ...and she is due in Mid January.  The other 2 couple are undergoing the cycles right now.

I will keep you posted on the results .

Sincerely,

B. Raj Pillai
Senior Healthcare Consultant
MedAsia Healthcare

Offline KHALIFA

• ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 07:13:07 PM »
Dear's
    I did that before 8 years a go in London and it was real succesful am actually a gree with B. Raj Pillai  about this procedure it will make the stress is almost nothing because you are you can be sure the new born baby will be match(you can say 90%) with your child  who he have thalassemia....
          good luck for everybody

khalifa
                       state of kuwait
                 one for all and all for one

RED_PILOT

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 05:27:43 AM »
My personal opinion!

I came to know about PGD a few months ago,there are few institutes offering PGD in Pakistan also,firts one is Concept fertility centre which is based in Australia,but the thing is that the procedure of BMT itself scares the hell out of me,so right now i am not thinking about it,as by the grace of GOD,and with the help of medicines like desferal,ferriprox and IP6,Zainab is doing well ALHUMDULILLAH,and i am hopeful that in future there would be more medication available,like more advanced hb F inducers, more powerful iron chelators,procedures like retrodifferentiation,or may be a more safe method of BMT,or gene therapy.So i am still hopeful.

But again, it's my personal opinion,if someone is planning to go ahead with BMT,i wish them luck :).

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk