ayesha's mother

• 4 Replies
ayesha's mother
« on: August 20, 2009, 10:24:12 PM »
Andy
This is mother of ayesha 3+ months old , her hb level was 7.4 ,yesterday was her first transfusion.
  my daughter had a test of RH phenotype before transfuion ,  can u define what kind of test it is, i ask them for having a genotype n phenotype test before transfusion but they dont have that testing in the hospital, i told them it is important to have before transfusion but the docter said  it is not at early stage, am confused and worried after reading all the posts related to phenotype n genotype
please clear my confusion.
regards
 :ty
[/quote]

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: ayesha's mother
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 05:52:34 PM »
To put it simply, genotype testing tests the antigens that are native to a person. Phenotype testing tests for all antigens present, including any that have been introduced through transfusions. Genotype testing can protect against antibody reactions from transfusions, but this type of testing is seldom done, even in the Comprehensive Thalassemia Centers. It costs more and makes it harder to match the blood, so few centers are willing to do it, even though a strong case can be made for long term cost effectiveness by reducing the amount of antibody reactions and the medical care involved, but with the medical profession, the long term cost is seldom considered. Also, since the concept of genotype matching of blood is relatively new, many doctors are not even aware of it or the positives involved with using genotype to match blood.

All we can do is to continue to educate and spread awareness. In the meantime, most patients will only have phenotype matching made available. I wish I could suggest more but all I can say is people need to continue to educate their doctors.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 04:28:34 PM »
Dear ash786,

Welcome to the group  :hugfriend It is a good idea to have phenotype testing before transfusions begin as it is not possible to have this testing after transfusions have started.  Phenotype testing allows for better matched blood for your child.  Genotype testing is the most sophisticated testing to match blood, but this type of testing may not be available in Pakistan. 

These tests help prevent transfusion reactions, and the possibility of developing antibodies against foreign blood, which over time may create a autoantibodies (antibodies against all red blood cells, including one's own).  This is very rare, but possible in people who are transfused chronically.  Before your daughter is transfused see if you can push for phenotype testing.  When the blood sample is taken be sure that the blood is not 'spun' for this test. 

I hope that your child does very well, all the best.  Please don't hesitate to ask any other questions that you may have,

Sharmin
Sharmin

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 06:18:26 PM »
HI Again, thanx to Andy and sharmin  for the quick reply ,  and sharmin iv ask them about genotype test but they said  we are doing RH PHENOTYPE which is also related to antibodies .

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 06:24:26 PM »
Phenotype testing is routine and does eliminate many, but not all antibodies. Genotype testing would be preferred but is offered in very few locations, so you have to use what is available.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk