Good News!

• 9 Replies
Good News!
« on: January 26, 2008, 06:46:24 PM »
I had my ultrasound yesterday - we are having another little boy! I wanted a boy, everyone thinks we should want a a girl but with the babies being only 14 months apart I think it will be really nice for them to be brothers.

I did have a little problem at my appointment: my Hemoglobin was only 9.8 and my Hematocrit was only 30. The phlebotomist forgot to run my ferritin so I don't know what that was. The doctor told me to take iron to help with my levels but I am still a little skeptical. So I talked to my friend who is a nurse and I am going to take the iron supplements but also increase my folic acid.

Anythoughts or suggests are appreciated.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Good News!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 07:15:58 PM »
 :congrats

It is common for women to need iron during pregnancy, thal carrier or not. If your Hb has dropped that low, iron is probably needed. Folic acid (at least 1 mg daily) can also be of help. Vitamin E can also be helpful as it contributes to the health of red blood cells and is also a mild blood thinner, which can help avoid the clotting disorders sometimes found in thal minor pregnancies. It is very important to get your Hb and hematocrit up, as problems may develop with a low Hb. Transfusions are occasionally necessary for minors during pregnancy so it is much preferable to get your Hb up on its own. Also, pay much attention to your diet and try to eliminate empty calories. Nutrition is important for all pregnancies but thal minor gives even less margin for error when it comes to nutrition.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 04:22:19 AM »
Thanks Andy,

I started taking the iron yesterday and I am going to continue. Do you think I should ask to continue to have these tests run throughout the pregnancy? Last time they only ran CBC and all those tests one time.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 04:28:44 AM »
If your hematocrit rises with the iron treatment, there won't be any need to do further ferritin tests during pregnancy. The hematocrit will be checked regularly through pregnancy, so it will be easy to determine if the iron is helping.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 01:12:13 PM »
Hi Expecting#2 :hugfriend

Congratulations, i am sooooo happy for you. Hope everything will go well .Take care
Manal

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 02:43:52 PM »
:congrats

I'm so happy for you. Two brothers are always a bundle of joys! I know my nephews, they are always like :catfight
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Kathy11

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 11:46:09 PM »
Hi Expecting #2
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowers :flowers :flowers :flowers :flowers :flowers
I suggest if you can tolerate ,drink plenty of milk, it will help it will raise your iron content.

I wish you good luck , children are a gift from  the universe ,lets hope all willl be well.
I'm always happy when our web  family is awaiting a new baby.
Take care
 Kathy

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 08:00:53 AM »

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 06:03:16 AM »
CONGRATS!  :hugfriend

ZAINI.