Am I a Beta-Thalassemia Carrier ??

• 18 Replies

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Re: Am I a Beta-Thalassemia Carrier ??
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 09:45:14 AM »
We were told at the time of my son's diagnosis that HPLC is a more accurate measurments to the different kinds of hb and there percentages. Actually i don't know much about the differences exactly but i can search and get back to you

Manal

Offline Daddy123

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 10:09:37 AM »
Manal, by the way, for Hb Knossos, I have understood it being a HB Beta Variant, so is HB-E.

HB-E Variant is common in South East Asia. My wife's HB Electropherisis shows that she has normal HBA2, HBF. As for HB A, I think a 29% is reclassified as HB-E. As a result, she is classified as being heterogygous of HB-E. For Homogygous HB-E, the percentage of HB-E will be much higher. ( I have also understood that Homogygous of HB-E, ie both beta gene is of HB-E variant is not a serious situation and that the person will be prety much without symptons ). HBA2 would not be able to diagnoses this E  variant. Similarly, the MCV & MCH will only be mildly decreased. My wife's MCV & MCH are 72 & 25 respectively. Her Hb level is at a healthy 13.2. Haemotocrit 38.

I thought the same situation is true for HB-Knossos whereby the HBA2 is supposed to be in the normal range. Out of the % of HB A, a large percentage will be reclassified as HB-Knossos. This is just my understanding from reading those articles churned out by the fantastic GOOGLE search. I hpoe I have not understood wrongly though.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 10:17:48 AM by Daddy123 »

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 12:44:01 PM »
Hi,

This is a very serious and difficult discussion ,i don't know much about that, :dunno just wanted to add that recently i met a kid at hospital and her mom told me that she was a thal minor and her husband had a lapore gene,which resulted in her daughter to be transfusion dependent thal intermedia.
My CVS was done at 12 weeks of pragnancy i.e three months.

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline jade

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 12:15:55 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk