Getting a diagnosis...

• 47 Replies

Offline Daddy123

Re: Getting a diagnosis...
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2008, 03:23:18 AM »
So, I just got my third (or maybe fourth) electrophoresis test results back....

A2: 6.5

A 93.5

The doctor thinks I must have thalassemia...since two of the tests indicated it, and one was borderline...

Here is my question for the group.  Is it NORMAL for the electrophoresis tests to have varying results like that?   Even the two that positively indicated thal minor were DIFFERENT results- A2 of 4.5 on one and 6.5 on another.
Is this something I should be worried about?

Thanks.

-dahlia

Hi Dahlia, it is really puzzling that your  hemoglobin electrophoresis results on HbA2 can fluctuate so much within such a short span. If it is common or prone to fluctuate so much, it certainly is not a very reassuring test for ruling in or out whether a person has thalessemia trait.

I wonder how your doctor would explain to you on why the tests results can vary so much. Are they going to simply write off the findings that they think should not be the case and just take whatever readings that they think should be the case for you ? Or are they going to take the average ??

4 hemoglobin electrophoresis tests in a row ....... The doctors seemed to be not confident in the test itself that they have to keep ordering the same test for you.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2008, 04:41:03 AM »
Dahlia,

I forgot to ask, but have all your tests been done at the same lab?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2008, 07:46:21 PM »
Daddy123,

The doctor couldn't really explain why they were different--he said they should NOT be different...and I didn't really know how to respond to that.

Andy,

To my knowledge, all of the tests were done at the same lab.  I know that at least two of them were.   

I did read online last night that if you are iron defiicient along with having thalassemia, it can make your A2 levels appear normal (though I am not sure if that is true!).  When I had the first series of blood tests, my iron was normal, but "low normal" so  I almost wonder if that has something to do with it...

It's just crazy to me that all of the results were different, when they're supposed to always be the same.

-dahlia

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk