Someone please help me...what should i be looking for?

• 4 Replies
Someone please help me...what should i be looking for?
« on: March 31, 2008, 04:45:40 PM »
HI guys, i'm new here, my hubby is a Thal major, now thal intermedia after long treatment. I have a question...my husband is now 23, and i some whereabouts about Thalassemia. So far in his life...growing up he did regular transfusions, and he also had his spleen taken out 4 years ago. He is now okay and does not need transfusions anymore. I know from the doctor that I'm supposed to not give him food with alot of iron in it. I'm also supposed to give him calcium, vitamin a and d in case of osteoprosis. I want him to take a bone marrow density test, to show any signs of osteoprosis is this a good idea? At this point in his life, what should I be worried about? or be looking for? what are some important factors that I should be looking at right now? I'm worried alot because I don't know alot about this...and my husband does like to talk about it much....Someone please help me. Thank you.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Someone please help me...what should i be looking for?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 06:22:54 PM »
Hi Sighvang and welcome,

A bone density scan would be a very good idea to assess your husband's current status. This would help to determine if his current calcium intake is correct. As you mentioned, vitamin D is important to take, as calcium needs D for absorption. Magnesium should also be taken with calcium, as the two minerals work together to regulate heart function. Recent studies have also shown that magnesium can help prevent gallbladder illness. He should also be taking folic acid and I would recommend wheatgrass in some form to help boost his hemoglobin level. Our thread about supplements for thals can be seen at

http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=118.0;highlight=vitamin+mineral

As you read through posts you will become more familiar with the issues to watch for and how to optimize his health. I am really happy that the splenectomy has currently eliminated his transfusion dependency and I think you should emphasize supplements that can help build the blood, like the aforementioned folic acid and wheatgrass.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 11:32:22 AM »
Hi Sighvang,

:welcomewagon to the family,read as much posts as you can and it will solve your problem of not knowing much about thal,and feel free to as any questions,and let me tell you,your hubby is lucky to have you as a wife  :hugfriend

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Lyanne

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 02:39:06 AM »

Hi! Welcome!!!!! hope all your concern can be answered and do feel free to ask the questions on your mind...... this group is the best!!!!!!!!!!!  :biggrin Hope everythng goes well with you and your husband...
LYANNE :yahoo

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 12:20:08 AM »
Thank you everyone!!! It means soooo much to me!!!!!!!!! I agree this is a wonderful site. =) Thank you all again for your help. May God bless you all. =)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk