Not Gaining Weight!

• 3 Replies

Offline AL

• Aqeel with Aleesya
Not Gaining Weight!
« on: April 03, 2008, 03:21:55 AM »
Hi everyone!

It seems that during my son's monthly appointment at the hospital, his weight is stagnent (not increased in a month). Latest H.b was 7.4 (a month before 8.3)

Does anyone here in this group who experinced this before? Should i be worried? Is this normal for HBe Beta intermedia?

FYI, before his routine monthly check-up at the hospital he had flu and he had been coughing for like 2-3 weeks before! And that it seems as he lost his appetite! Until now, he is not eating much but he is very active as any child could be!

I'm quite worried as the doc said that eventhough his h.b increases or decreases in a month time and that he is not gaining weight,,,,blood transfusion would be conducted!

My son had his first blood transfusion the day on his first birthday  :(
Sure hope that he would not have to be transfuse so often

By the way, GREAT JOB YOU GUYS (every member of this group)! with this group thing etc! I dont know what will i do without u all.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 07:45:46 AM by AL »

Offline maha

Re: Not Gaining Weight!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 07:08:21 AM »
Hi Al
You did not mention his weight. In the first year children gain weight rapidly, from age 1-2, the increase in weight is rather slow. As long as he is growing well , the weight should not be a problem. From the time I have started giving my son vitamin-B supplements his appetite has increased. Do talk to your doc about it.
Take care
Maha

Offline AL

• Aqeel with Aleesya
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 08:02:38 AM »
Hi Maha!

Sure nice to hear from you.

Well! come to think of it, i am not sure whether his height increased or not (as i see him often).

Normally when we go to the hospital, the first thing that they checked was his weight, height and head diameter measurement. Then they would get his blood for checking of HB etc!

When they got the result they would call us in to see the doctor. The doctor did mentioned about his weight and that his HB was 7.4 but not any other.

I would say the time spent with the doctor was merely 5 minutes.

About the supplement you mentioned, at what age did u start giving your son? Currently my son's appetite is not consistent,,,,sometimes he eats often (small amount) but sometimes he does not eat often!

His next appointment would be on 21st April 2008,,,i will then surely ask for the actual measurement of his weight, height etc.

Glad to hear that it is quite normal for a kid aged 1-2 years ( my son age is 18months old) sometimes does not gain much weight!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 08:26:58 AM by AL »

Offline maha

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 09:20:35 AM »
Hi Al
I started vit-B supplements when Hassan was 22 months. He will turn 2 at the end of April. I give him five small meals instead of 3 big meals. It works better that way.
Take care
Maha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk