Hello

• 4 Replies
Hello
« on: April 28, 2008, 08:07:50 PM »
I am new to this group.  Here's a little info...

My husbnd and I have a 14 month old son who we adopted from Vietnam.  We've been told that he's anemic since we got him (he was six months old).  His anemia is mild and we've been told it is due to low iron.  We've had him on iron for about six months and he is still mildly anemic.  We've also been told that he as many, small red blood cells as well as lowered hemoglobin (I think it's around 11).  I recently requested a Hemoglobin Electrophoresis.  If he has alpha thalassemia, will it show up on the test?  I want to be sure we are doing the right thing giving him iron.  We have not yet gotten the results.  Any thoughts??

I came across this site and have been reading it for days now.  At first I was so scared at the thought of our son having thalassemia.  After rading this site, I am ok with it.  I look forward to learning more from all of the wonderful people on this site. 

Thank you,
Alyssa

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 09:40:04 PM »
I just talked with our pediatrician.  Our son's electrophoresis came back normal.  His hemoglobin is at 11.2.  His red blood cells are still small with a MCV of 60.9.  His iron leve is normal.  We are taking him off of iron and making an appointment with a hematologist just to clarify the results.  Our doctor thinks he has Beta Thal Trait. 

Do his numbers seem normal to you?

Thanks!

Alyssa

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 01:01:46 AM »
Hi Alyssa and welcome,

The test results along with the visual examination which shows small red cells, both do indicate beta thal minor. An electrophoresis would show significant amounts of hemoglobin Bart if it was HbH disease (three gene deleted alpha thalassemia), and the Hb and MCV both are in range for beta thal trait. However, the lack of anything abnormal in the electrophoresis either indicates that it is not beta thal minor, or in view of the small red cells, more likely that there is a modifier gene at work, either alpha trait or a delta gene deletion, which would account for the normal HbA2 level, rather than the raised HBA2 normally found in beta minor.  Neither would be of much significance in terms of health but would be of importance in terms of having future children. Determining exactly what he has will be important to him as he reaches adulthood and chooses to start a family. If he does carry a thal gene he needs to be aware of this so his partner can be tested before having children, as the combination of two thal genes can lead to thal major. The hematologist may be able to tell you more from the results but if things are still not totally clear, he may recommend DNA testing to get a better picture of the genetic makeup. Since both beta and alpha thal are common among Southeast Asians, DNA testing may be of value regardless of the diagnosis, to sort out the entire picture.

Iron is useless in beta thal minor unless there is an unrelated iron deficiency, which in this case, there is not. Following a wholesome diet can do much to optimize one's health in thal minor.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 01:26:48 AM »
Thanks, Andy!  Your information is VERY useful! 

Do you think it would be helpful to our son if we give him wheatgrass and folic acid?  If so, do you (or anyone else reading this) know the dosage?

Thanks,
Alyssa

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 01:45:39 AM »
Yes, folic acid and wheatgrass can both be of help in maintaining health and may have some effect on hemoglobin levels and the health of the red blood cells.

With a child that young, the only form of wheatgrass that may be of use is the extract. Half the daily dose, 2.5 ml is recommended in children. 1000 mcg of folic acid daily would be sufficient at this point.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk