My nephew - thal minor

• 5 Replies

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
My nephew - thal minor
« on: May 16, 2008, 05:55:45 PM »
Hi everyone,

My brother's son - is about 10 months old.  He has thal minor - and he is a very active healthy little boy. 
I notice an orange hue in his skin - he has had blood a few blood tests to determine whether he was thal minor - as my brother is thal trait, but my sister-in-law is not.  He is not very anemic and everything else is fine.  He has been a little lactose intolerant but other than that he is very healthy. 

Is this orange tint anything to be concerned about?

Thanks everyone,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: My nephew - thal minor
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 06:02:30 PM »
Sharmin,

By any chance is he eating a lot of carrots or sweet potatoes? If he is getting a lot of carotene it can cause an orange color to the skin.

Wrongdiagnosis.com at http://symptoms.wrongdiagnosis.com/cosymptoms/orange-skin-all.htm  lists some possibilities.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 08:27:34 AM »
Andy,
it is quite possible - he eats carrots and sweet potatoes a whole lot.  Even his proteins - (chicken & turkey) are mixed in sweet potatoes. Basically all of his meals are orange.    All of his recent blood tests were normal - so it must be his diet.  I have not shared this concern with his parents - I though that I would research it myself first before alarming them.  I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to share the color with his dr.  I did inspect his eyes and they did not seem to be yellow or orange.    It must be all of the beta carotene the kids is turning into a carrot! 

Thanks Andy,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 05:09:04 PM »
Heheheh. It may very well be the carotene giving him that hue. Carrot boy. At least he's getting his veggies.  :biggrin
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 05:29:28 AM »
Carrot boy came over to visit today - he is looking less orange - I think they've changed up his diet these days.  He is getting chirpy though - he scolds everyone with his finger - and utters something to be reckoned with  :biggrin

Thanks for your help Andy,  I have gone through a lot with thalassemia - (as have so many others) - I just didn't want my brother and his wife to go through it too - they deal with enough supporting me - and loving my son so much. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 07:26:43 AM »
Carrot boy came over to visit today - he is looking less orange - I think they've changed up his diet these days.  He is getting chirpy though - he scolds everyone with his finger - and utters something to be reckoned with  :biggrin

:crackup

I'm laughing just imagining the scene.

Give lots of love on my behalf to little bugsy
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk