headache & fatigue

• 2 Replies

Offline Natalia

headache & fatigue
« on: June 30, 2008, 04:30:39 AM »
Is there any way found to fight tiredness?  For the last 3 or 4 months i feel my fatigue is getting worse, accompanied by short breath, dizziness and when i stand up after laying or sitting down, i would need some seconds till blacksight disappear.  Headache comes almost everyday, and when it's severe enough, i couldnt even lift my head from my pillow.  I am taking my vit supplement, Bcomplex, C, and calcium daily. I always feel the urge to sleep, but when i wake up i never feel fresh and fit, meanwhile i have many things to do.  My auntie who had thal minor just passed away at the age of 55 in her sleep, following dinner she felt tired, got short breath and laying down. (Is life expectancy for thal minor  shorter than normal people?) Her Hb range was 8.  My Hb ranging from 8 to 9, one of the doctor said, the anemia causing headache as there are lack of blood cells which supposed to distribute Oxygen to the brain, is that the reason of my daily headache?  I am now taking paracetamol daily for my headache, sometimes it works, mostly not. I cant take other pain killer as i have allergy. Andi, can u advise?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: headache & fatigue
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 05:00:12 AM »
Natalia,

The doctor is absolutely correct. Lack of oxygen is the cause and will cause headaches, fatigue, dizziness and numbness in the extremities. Your hemoglobin level is not sufficient to provide adequate oxygen to your cells. Although your Hb is not low enough to require transfusions, it is low enough to make a serious impact on the quality of your life. I have never heard that thal minors have a shorter life expectancy but I have heard from many minors in their 40's, 50's and 60's who say that their condition has worsened with age.

I would suggest adding wheatgrass extract and/or tablets to your daily supplement regimen. Make sure your folic aid supplement is at least 1 mg daily. Many members of this group are also currently investigating carao syrup to see if it can help with thalassemia. It is suspected that it may be of more benefit to minors than to majors but we even have one early report of a higher hemoglobin level being maintained in a young major, so this definitely bears some watching. Learning deep breathing techniques may also be of some value in drawing more oxygen into your lungs to help optimize the efficiency of your lungs. Mild exercise such as walking or swimming at your own pace and only for as long as is comfortable (do not push yourself) can also help to improve your circulation and help distribute oxygen throughout your body. A "hot" balm such as Tiger balm can be applied to the areas of your head that hurt the most, such as the temples and back of the neck. This will help draw blood to the affected areas.

If you find anything does improve how you feel, please share it with the group and I encourage all thals to do the same. Any results are of interest and your experience can help many others.

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Natalia

Re: headache & fatigue
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 06:39:12 AM »
Thanks Andi,
I've searched the net abt carao, in fact, i've ordered some bottles, hopefully it's allowed to be delivered to my country, as i think it's not available here. Really wish to try and share it with my sis, whose thal is severe.  Will gladly share the result if any.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk