Test Results

• 2 Replies

Offline joanne

Test Results
« on: April 04, 2006, 06:30:02 PM »
Hi all
I just got my bloodwork back...my HB is 107 and my Ferritine was 607...what exactly does this ferritine reading mean? :huh
I'm 37 and have never been transfused.
Thanks Joanne

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Test Results
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 11:51:06 PM »
Hi Joanne,

The ferritin level is what is measured to determine how much iron you have in your blood. 607 is below the level where chelation is recommended. Since you have never transfused, it means that level is solely due to excess iron intake in the gut, which is common in untransfused intermedias. It can get to levels where chelation is needed as Barry, another intermedia in our group has mentioned.

Your iron level is much higher than what is normal for non-thals but not at what is considered to be a harmful level. However, you make want to take steps to minimize the amount of iron you are getting in your diet. One easy thing to do is to drink tea during meals, as it helps prevent absorption of iron from food. Another is to watch the amount of iron you get in your diet. I recently quoted some sources about this subject in a post at
http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=113.msg554#msg554

A really encouraging thing is that your Hb came back to your normal level after falling so low during your pregnancy. And also, for an intermedia, your Hb level is not bad. I think your main concern now is making sure your ferritin doesn't rise much more. Once it gets over 1000, chelation may be suggested.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline joanne

Re: Test Results
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 12:39:22 AM »
Hi Andy...yes my HB hasnt been 107 in a long tim..if ever...it usually sits at 90 and while I was pregnant it was at 50!
My spleen is still 20 cm...sheeesh!
U explained the ferritin excellent...thank you!
I do eat alot of fast food...burgers especially I wonder if that would contribute to high ferritin?...
My diet sucks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk