Precautions During The Transfusion

• 11 Replies

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
Precautions During The Transfusion
« on: July 17, 2008, 01:19:23 PM »
Hi everyone..

1) make sure that there is no air in the blood and drip's tube ...it may lead  to death i heaerd it ...

well question is how it can lead you toward death ?...

i think that ( personal view ) ::  that air in the can harm in way to disturbing pulse or heart-beat ..it could b a reason of missing heart beat in thals ... many time i saw at thalasema center they dont care about that air .... but it could be dangrous ... i m sure andy willl define it in more explained word as i m aspecting to him  .... soo andy it is the information only ... have ur say please ..i m waiting for some corrections bcoze i know i didn't explained with details ... soo please ...

also keep it remembr that there is no air bubble remain's in the tube or in syringe before starting chelation therapy to infusion pump..

=========================================================
main reason is to sending this post is to provide transfusion related information under one topic ... i read somewhere in post that " dont to sit in cross leg style  ""  the nurse told to some at thalasaemia center .......plz who ever sent this post i left the space for her to send post here ... and the posts related to other problems during transfusion ...
so plz ..do send those posts here ... if it isn't possible then telll me where i should post this post .. please help me coze i didn't decide

dont forget to check your name and ur file no ( registration no) before getting started the blood transfusion  .........
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline cherieann

Re: Precautions During The Transfusion
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 08:43:19 PM »
1. You are right about the air bubble, but it has to be a big gap in the tubing to cause death.
Can't remember exactly what it can do but I think it can affect the heart and brain.

2. If you start feeling unwell during transfusion, let nurse know. You could be reacting to the blood.

3. I walk around and make myself a cuppa to help ease the pressure of fluid bloating and to keep circulation going. (personal experience) It doesn't always take the pain away but at least I'm occupied :biggrin

Thalassaemia is a lifestyle not a burden.

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 08:50:16 PM »
yeah it need a big gap in tube to react like this but ... i heard something like that  ......

" LITTLE DROPS MAKE THE OCEAN " ... in this way i think taking precaution measures is better than the cure...
@ cheriean
hi cheriean you always come with some new information hahahaha .. dont mind   :wink
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 11:18:27 PM by nice friend »
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline cherieann

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 04:23:15 AM »
 :rotfl I try.
It's always good to have someone to chat and laugh with.
I love everyone's attitude even when the chips are down.
It helps me alot :biggrin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 05:02:48 AM »
http://209.217.107.132/web/tmws.nsf/EnglishHome?OpenFrameSet&Frame=Main&src=http://209.217.107.132/web/tmws.nsf/page/E_Clinical_Guidelines?OpenDocument

Air embolism occurs when a bubble of air is introduced into the vascular system and obstructs a blood vessel. As little as 100 mL of air introduced rapidly into a vein, may be fatal. The air circulates via the venous system to the right atrium, and right ventricle. This leads to outflow obstruction from the ventricle into the pulmonary system, causing circulatory collapse.

In patients who have any degree of right to left shunting within the heart, (up to 10 per cent of patients in some settings) air can be pumped directly from the venous system (right heart) to the arterial system (left heart). Extremely small amounts of air can cause a stroke if subsequently circulated into the cerebral arterial system.

Air embolism may occur when air is introduced into a blood bag, particularly if it is being transfused under pressure. However, most reported cases associated with blood transfusion occur in association with cell salvage devices, usually because of failure to follow manufacturer's instructions.

The incidence of air embolism associated with conventional transfusion is unknown, but rare. One study showed that the frequency of fatal air embolism after re-administration of recovered blood was approximately 1:30,000-1:38,000 patients transfused.

http://health.hosuronline.com/BloodTransfusion.php?subaction=showfull&id=1169672067&archive=&start_from=&ucat=4&

Air embolism is rarely a problem because blood is collected into plastic bags. However, blood pumps and apheresis machines can still infuse air. Air embolism produces acute cardiopulmonary insufficiency as the air tends to migrate to the right ventricle where it produces outlet obstruction. Acute cyanosis, pain, cough, arrythmia, shock, and cardiac arrest may result. Immediate action includes placing the patient head down on the left side in an attempt to dislodge the air bubble from the pulmonary valve.

Some other good advice is if you ever suspect you are having any transfusion reaction, tell the nurse to stop the transfusion immediately.

And Umair, your advice about checking the blood bag to make sure it's yours is most important. Mistakes can happen and Lisa told me about an incident where she stopped a nurse from giving her another patient's blood, so yes, always check the label.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline cherieann

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 08:05:29 AM »
Thanks Andy for the information and your knowledge.
Much appreciated :biggrin

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 02:53:12 PM »
thanx andy .... again a special thanx to you buddy

===========
Umair

Offline cherieann

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 03:25:45 PM »
I'm gonna be embarassed if you didn't mean me when you said buddy
But any way I'm glad to be of service :biggrin

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 06:01:22 PM »
i consider andy as my Buddy ( friend ) .. if u like to b  .... it will ok you to say you buddy too ....
if u like.... then :::::::  andy corrects my many mistakes   and responded me with complete dettails so i want to  see andy in my friends list .... n you ...  okiey  ............ you too a buddy okiey

i even dont know wat i said above  :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :biggrin :grin :yahoo :tantrum :laugh :laugh :laugh :think
hhehhehhehhee .. when u undertand wat i m saying in my post then plz inform me so that i may also came to know wat i saisd ......... hhehhehe
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 07:27:48 PM by nice friend »

===========
Umair

Offline cherieann

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 01:23:29 AM »
 :rotfl
The basics of what you are trying to say is.......

I can be your buddy too and I can respond to your posts too :biggrin

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 08:42:15 AM »
Hi :
i m going to mention a way that can b helpfull to prevent mistakes
during transx like these....

Andy mentioned
And Umair, your advice about checking the blood bag to
make sure it's yours is most important. Mistakes can happen and Lisa told me about an incident
where she stopped a nurse from giving her another patient's blood, so yes,
always check the label.

in the Thalassemia center where i go to trans-x . for Staff members ( nurses ) its
compulsory to ask some question before attaching the blood bag .. here i wrting that
questions ..

1) what is your name ??

2) what is your file no ?

3) what is your blood group ?/.

they call and wait for the parents in the case if patients  didn't answer
these questions ( it happens in young children patient's case )...

they wait until their parents show their card or answer these questions
( bcoze its a sensitive case )..

i think you may also give this idea to your thalassemia center's incharge...
he/she will appreciate it and i hope apply too ....

@ cheriean ...
The basics of what you are trying to say is.......

I can be your buddy too and I can respond to your posts too

yeah i mean to say if you want...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:53:26 AM by nice friend »

===========
Umair

Offline cherieann

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 09:15:18 AM »
In the clinic where I am transfused two nurses go to the individual patient and the patient says their name & surname, date of birth and address while the nurses cross check blood bag and patients clinical notes.

More experienced patients give their name & surname, hospital number and blood type while the nurses cross check with bloods and clinic notes.

@ cheriean ...
yeah i mean to say if you want...
[/quote]

Yeah I know :biggrin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk