What test should I be asking my Dr?

• 1 Replies
What test should I be asking my Dr?
« on: July 21, 2008, 11:22:34 PM »
I am not even sure I have this AT ALL- minor OR major.  I just happened upon this site as I have been trying to find info about my anemia.  I have symptoms that may or may not provide you with what you need to help me.  (Basically, I haven't had gene studies but only some regular blood work, and I don't even have those results with me right now.)
I know the following:
I have been suffering from being "slightly anemic" my whole life.  I am 37.
I have been ill now for several years.  I am suffering from fatigue-varies from severe to functioning.
I have currently been tested with a blood level of 9 (can't recall what this measures, but I know it is supposed to be much higher.)  I was told my red blood cells are small and not many in my blood and that I might need a blood transfusion.
I have irritability, mood swings and downright anger. (PMS)
I am tired, in the past prone to illness easily.
I am now short of breath, and quite badly dizzy .
I have severe and chronic pain-particularly in my calves.
I am having problems with hearing, comprehension and mostly short term memory-some long term.
I have a bit of hair loss, and some skin issues-acne brought on as an adult, didn't have it as a teen.
I am of Italian descent-Sicily and if our history is correct, in the 1700s and further back-we were from Malta.
I also have other issues that are probably unrelated: tmj, headaches, nausea, migraines.

What should I be looking for on my blood work to give me more info?  What should I be asking my dr. to test for? I have kind of bad insurance, so is there something that will come up without a full gene study?

I have already begun high doses of iron therapy, (5 days worth) and am now fearful as my dr. might not have thought about this.  Due to having heavy periods, and also surgery this week, I haven't gone back for further blood work yet that my dr. wanted me to go for, which included iron, b6 and or b12 and ferrous (or something like it) checked out.  I will be going tomorrow.
Help!
Thanks.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: What test should I be asking my Dr?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 12:27:52 AM »
Hi Julie,

The tests you need are a hemoglobin electrophoresis which will confirm whether you do carry the thalassemia trait (minor)..you are not major or you would be dead long ago from not taking transfusions. The other tests you should have are called iron studies. Iron will not improve thal minor and over extended periods, iron can cause much harm if taken when not needed. It is possible to be both thal minor and iron deficient but they are not related in any way. If you are both, it is simply coincidence and a percentage of thal minors are also iron deficient just like non-thals, so it is essential that you have the iron studies tests done to sort things out. Both tests are simple blood tests and should be covered by most insurance policies as long as the doctor believes they are necessary (they are). Your low hemoglobin level and small red cells both point to thal minor, as does your ethnic background (people of Mediterranean origin have much higher rates of thalassemia trait), so the electrophoresis should be done. If you can have the tests done and can either post a copy of the results or send them to me in a personal message, I will be happy to look at them. At that point we can talk further about things that can be done to try to improve your health. A nutritious diet that avoids empty calories is a good place to start and there are supplements that you can take that may also be of some benefit. There is one other thing I will suggest to you if your tests confirm you are a minor, but I will wait until then to continue.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk