• 4 Replies

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Skin tone
« on: May 04, 2006, 05:15:54 AM »
Hi,
    I have noticed that my skin tone is much darker than my parents and sister, infact I am much darker than any cousin in the family.

I know that I am an Asian and could have gotten a dark skin gene from my ancestors, but my tone is more like (black) greyish brown rather than light brown unlike the real skin tones.

Does it have to do sometihng with Thal? If this is an effect of Thal. (The only thing I can think of is Iron overload), can it be reversed or does it become permanent like the original skin color?
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
Re: Skin tone
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 07:21:44 AM »
What's your ferritin level, Sajid?  If your skin is much darker than your parents and sister, than it's most-likely related to Thal (from iron-overload).  If you get your ferritin down, it will be reversed and become lighter.   :hug

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 12:42:09 PM »
I think that may be due to iron overload, my daughter had darker patches around thighs and legs before we started the desferal therapy, her complexion was darker as well. After three month dark patches are gone and her complexion has improved a little.

Regards
Regards.

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 04:01:32 PM »
Yep, I guess this is the case. My Ferritin is too high, though I haven't got it checked but I know that it would be very high as I am getting less than 1/7th of the prescribed dose of Desferal to me.

I could really use Exjade by now  :sadyup
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Isis

• Ash and me
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 10:29:36 PM »
Yep Sajid,

It is most definitely the high levels of ferritin, which darkens and shows up in the skin colouring.

I was born a very fair child.   :rotfl   Sorry abt that.... I do like to think I am a fair person...lol

As a child, I was born rather fair-skinned, is what I meant.    :noangel

Anyway, I was unable to take chelation till a later age....chelation was unknown and unavailable in India at that time. So, I grew darker over time. Growing up, I had to face hurtful comments from relatives about why I had grown so dark, since they had seen me very fair as a child. Some did not even bother to hide their shocked expressions....and  it has been a sore point with me when I was younger. 

Depending upon original skin colour...darker the skin : higher the level of iron. ( unless U have gotten tanned on a beach)  :winky
Certain darker patches do also show, where iron collects, like at the joints... and they may take longer to lighten up.

On the brighter side, proper chelation with desferal or whatever else....will help you to regain original skin tone, as I know from my personal experience.

So keep chelating, ok champ.    :thumbsup
Regards,
Shilpa.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk