Colostrum!

• 10 Replies

Offline AL

• Aqeel with Aleesya
Colostrum!
« on: August 20, 2008, 01:34:55 AM »
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to know the benefits of colostrum? Does anyone in here, who is taking it or maybe knows something about it? Would appreciate if you could check-out these address and give me your opinion on it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colostrum
http://www.colostrumcenter.org/
http://www.colostrumresearch.org/Health/AZ_benefits.html#Anchor-Bloo-7783

My wife is thinking of giving it to my son Aqeel!

Later

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 05:42:35 AM by AL »

Offline Smurfette

• Me and my Goddaughter
Re: Colostrum!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 04:11:58 AM »
JUST A QUESTION? HOW OLD IS YOUR SON? AND I BELIEVE THAT COLOSTRUM IS ONLY PRODUCED BY WOMEN WHO ARE GOING TO BREASTFEED?????

THATS THE FIRST PART OF THE MILK THAT THE BABY USUALLY HAS BEFORE THE BREAST MILK!!!

IF YOUR SON IS OF AN OLDER AGE FOR BREASTFEEDING THEN I AM NOT SURE IF IT WILL WORK?

I FOR SURE DONT TAKE IT OR HAVE HEARD OF OTHER THAL PATIENTS TAKING IT EITHER..

ANYONE KIND ENOUGH TO HELP ON THIS?

Offline AL

• Aqeel with Aleesya
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 05:25:46 AM »
My son is almost 2 years old!

The thing is, it seems that, to take colostrum does not need to be an infant etc. If I'm not mistaken even old people are taking it here in Malaysia!

Just wonder if it's ok! Perhaps Dr. Andy have a say on this!  :biggrin

There are so many websites (in malay language) that highlighted the benefits of it even on adults who are taking it!

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:39:05 AM by AL »

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 06:29:05 AM »
It is possible that colostrum may have some benefits for thals, especially in improving the immune system. The colostrum used if from animals like cows and goats.

http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69151.cfm

Bovine colostrum is cow's milk secreted during the first few days following calving. It is rich in immunoglobulins, growth factors, cytokines, and confers immune protection to the newborn calf from opportunistic infections. Bovine colostrum has been used as a dietary supplement to treat diarrhea, infections, colitis, and to improve athletic performance. Results from clinical trials indicate that hyperimmune bovine colostrum, prepared by immunizing cows with the causative agent, is effective in treating diarrhea caused by rotavirus in children (2), and by Cryptosporidium parvum in AIDS patients (3) (4). Preliminary data also suggest that oral administration of bovine colostrum may reduce postoperative endotoxemia during abdominal surgery (5) and postoperative C-reactive protein (CRP)-plasma levels in patients undergoing coronary bypass surgery (6). There is also evidence that bovine colostrum can prevent gastrointestinal damage caused by nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (7) and is effective in treating distal colitis (8). Patients who are allergic to dairy products should avoid taking bovine colostrum...Althought the high concentration of immunoglobulins may account for bovine colostrum's effects, the exact mechanism is not known. Studies suggest that bovine colostrum improves exercise performance (9) (10) by increasing serum insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) and may enhance immune response in humans

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Nur

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 07:57:40 AM »
I have heard about colostrum before but never given a second thought about using it. It is sold in local pharmacies in the form of tablets.

the reason of not using it because it's just a supplementary thing and i think it depends on yourself if you want to take it or not.

I'm just too tired of taking supplements because it hardly shows any improvements whatsoever but...maybe your son is still young and he might be able to get the best out of it.  :dunno

try if you want

Offline AL

• Aqeel with Aleesya
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 12:46:29 AM »
Thanks Dr. Andy  :biggrin & Nur!

The thing is, i just wanted to know if anyone in here who has tried it? One thing for sure for the sake of all Thalassemians, Theres Nothing Wrong In Trying!

Nevermind! Should i decided to try it on my son, i'll let you all know on the status/results should there be any.

Later

Offline joyce

• with my baby jovy..
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 01:53:54 PM »
Dear al,

im new here and just rolling to  your questions out colostrum.
Actly, i gv that to my son (thal major) 2/cpsl perday as he is only 5mths old. I've taken 4LIFE/TRANSFER FACTOR product and just started it a month ago.

So far, i also eager to know, hows ur son's progress? is there any improvements/ good news?

please post it here.

Love-joyce

Offline erum minhas

• my lovely daughter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 08:45:36 PM »
dear

it just boost the immunity of new born who r deficient when born,i dont think so it works in thalassemia major. but if u still think try it bcoz any thing which is natural having least side effects

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 06:06:40 AM »
HELLO AND GOOD DAY.. I HAVE ONE QUESTION REGARDING ON TRANSFER FACTOR THAT WAS BELIEVED CAN IMPROVED THALASSAEMIA CONDITION. HOWEVER, MY DOCTOR ADVISED ME NOT TO TAKE THIS PRODUCT AS I HAD HISTORY ON HEP C +VE. SHE SAID THAT IF MY IMMUNE SYSTEM TOO ACTIVE, MAYBE MY HEP C WILL FLARE UP AGAIN AND ANY COMPLICATION WILL EFFECT MY CONDITION. I NEED ANY OPINION ON THIS. THANK YOU.   

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 11:33:45 PM »
I'm not so sure about Transfer Factor. If it's isolated from cattle, there is a possibility of contamination. I don't think there is any evidence showing it has an ability to raise Hb level. You might want to read through this article from Sloan Kettering about Transfer Factor. http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/herb/transfer-factor
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 03:43:13 AM »
lots of thanks any :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk