My haemotologist update

• 9 Replies

Offline cherieann

My haemotologist update
« on: September 18, 2008, 07:30:13 AM »
Last week I had 3 units of leukocyte depleted.
My Haemoglobin had dropped to 88. Not good but look at the positive that it wasn't too bad after 8 weeks. That is two months  My Dr is hoping that the Hydrea is helping me prolong.
The other positive was that my ferritin has come down to 3,800. Still high but last time it was 4,000.
The good news is that it is coming down and not staying up  I had to have a little yeah!
My Dr had given me clearance to try IP6 and I took my first tablet that night.
Dr Blacklock got me to sign the forms she is sending in to the government which is asking them to subsidized the chelation tablet exjade. She was informing me that Thalassaemia is still classed as rare in New Zealand because there is only 9 reported cases of Transfusion dependent Thalassaemics. In other words the government might not think it important enough to subsidized.
This is her fourth attempt. I have suggested that maybe we remind the government the long term cost of  extra treatment from failed organs. This is true because I now have diabetes, osteophorosis and tachycardia from iron overload in my tissues and organs.
Hopefully that might help them lean favourably.
Over all I am happy as I always are when I see Dr Blacklock. She is an important person in my life and after discussing my issues or thoughts I can walk away knowing that she has my best interests at heart.
I can never say this enough, but as a patient you need to have a relationship with your health carers.
It must be mutual to the point where both can express ideas and agree to the management of issues.
Thalassaemia is a lifestyle not a burden.

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Re: My haemotologist update
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 07:39:22 AM »
Hi Cherieann

Congratulations on the drop of the ferritin, as you said it is important to know that it is decreasig. Hope that next time you are better and better. good luck in your trails with the goverment :-\

keep us updated :hugfriend :hugfriend

manal

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 11:34:59 AM »
I'm glad that you are doing ok. Though I'm concerned about the low leuko count (if that's what I am thinking).

IP6 is a safe natural supplement. What dose are you taking? One tablet doesn't seem that much. You can safely take more.

You can read about that on the IP6 threads or Andy will guide you much better here.
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 12:19:19 PM »
Hi Cheriean :
Nice to hear that your Ferrtin levels coming down and you have got the green signal for IP6 and also nice to hear that hydrea is working for you ... :thumbsup keep it up ...
wish you that,  you will find exjade soon ...
Best of Luck .....

Take Care
umair
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 12:27:15 PM by nice friend »
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Online Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 04:41:50 PM »
Cheriean,

I hope your ferritin levels keep coming down.  8 weeks is a long time between transfusions, your ferritin will definitely come down if you continue to go this long between transfusions. 

All the best!!

Sharmin
Sharmin

Kathy11

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 11:29:17 PM »
To Cheriean,
Im happy to hear the good news,  keep it up
Kathy :hugfriend

Offline cherieann

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 03:41:33 AM »
Thank you to all your replies.
Yes 8 weeks are a long time and sometimes I can quite last so I go in earlier.
At the moment I am just taking 1 tablet of IP6 a day as I felt quite ill when I took two tablets a day. Not use to them yet and with all the other meds mightn't like each other.
You are right sajid about the low haem. I think Americans would say 8.8.
Thanks Sharmin. This has been my thought for many years but I don't think the dose was high enough to make a difference.
Thank you Umair & Manal for your best wishes I will let you all know how I get on.
Kathy11 - A special big thank you for your aroha (love) in helping me give IP6 a try. Can never thank you enough or will ever forget your kindness.

Thank you to everybody for your thoughts. :hugfriend

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 03:05:11 PM »
Hi Cherieann,

Are you remembering to take IP6 on an empty stomach with water only? It should be taken at least 30 minutes before eating and not mixed with anything protein as it reacts with protein and its effect is lessened.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline cherieann

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 08:19:11 PM »
Yes Andy I am taking on an empty stomach with only water.
I take it first thing in the morning before breakfast.
As you say I wait about an hour before I eat. :wink

Offline Alia

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 10:11:33 AM »
hi cherian
sorry i have not been in contect. iam glade your ferritn is going dwn, i hope to meet you one day. i will keep contect

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk