Is it OK to use Exjade(Asunra) and L1(Kelfer) in Combination?

• 6 Replies

Offline Narendra

With the availability of Exjade (Asunra) in India and Pakistan, where Kelfer has been a life saver for years, I am sure this question is going to pop up.

Can both (Exjade and L1) drugs be taken together similar to how Desferal and Kelfer are recommended?
As most of us have heard, L1 is better in chelating Iron from Heart and Exjade (am I right?) chelates Iron from the Liver

Those who can, could you guys ask this question to the doctors who are treating you and see what they have to say

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Is it OK to use Exjade(Asunra) and L1(Kelfer) in Combination?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 04:12:02 PM »
The official word from Novartis concerning the use of Exjade with other chelators is

"Can EXJADE be taken with other iron chelation agents?

EXJADE should not be combined with other iron chelator therapies, as the safety of such combinations has not been established."

However, we do know of cases where doctors have subscribed desferal and Exjade together in cases of severe iron overload. These doctors have done this on their own, making a judgment that the use of the two together may have more benefit than risk. So far, we haven't heard of any cases where Exjade and L1 have been used together and my guess is that Novartis will have little interest in this, as Novartis does not produce any version of L1.

Narendra has asked for what will be extremely important information to thal patients. If anyone is prescribed the two drugs together, please do keep us informed of the results.

Thank you Narendra for bringing up this important topic as many new patients will begin Exjade very soon in India and Pakistan.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 08:30:45 PM by Andy »
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 05:59:58 AM »
Looking at the supply of Desferal; Novartis seems to have very less interest left in Desferal as well  :-\ (maybe due to their rights expired for its production.)

The last stock I got was so late that I should have gotten it for the second time. And now that I have used up more than half of it; I'm concerned when I will get my next batch. ???
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 06:35:27 AM »
for last 8-9 years using dessferral and kelfar ,2 days back we have shifted to asunra.
diksha is telling she is not seeing any change in urine colour which she use to notice
after dessferral injection.with only asunra its going to work ?

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 06:50:36 AM »
Hi Diksha,

:welcome to the site.

Asunra/Exjade excretes more Iron through the intestinal route (if you know what I mean).

You will have to keep her Serum Feritin in check after a few months of use.
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 05:47:07 PM »
cipla -- desirox

can anybody give any information on that?????????????????????????????

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 05:59:26 PM »
Desirox is Cipla's version of Exjade.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk