hellooooozzzzz

• 50 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: hellooooozzzzz
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2009, 06:39:49 AM »
Hi Angela,

Your reaction is common when the initial dosage is the full recommended dose of 30 mg/kg. We have been advising patients for a long time to start on a lower dose, no more than 20 mg/kg, until the body gets used to the new drug. Patients who have followed this have had far fewer and less severe rashes, and over the past year, we have seen that many doctors are now recommending this to their patients. If the rash continues to be a problem, try cutting your dose in half until the rash is completely gone and then raise the dose back to 1400 mg daily. If the rash gets worse, you should stop Asunra until the rash is gone.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline anjjela

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2009, 07:41:52 AM »
Hi Andy,

Thanku for the advice...i guess that would be the best thing to do...cutting the dose into half so that i can tolerate it...i hope that works

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2009, 07:43:30 AM »
Andy,

Little Z has been taking only one pill of 400 mg,her weight hovers around 27-28 kg,i'll get all the necessary tests done when she finishes her first month,if the tests come back normal do you think that it's ok to switch to 600mg?

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline anjjela

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2009, 05:24:46 AM »
My Doc asked me to stop taking Asunra  n then resume taking Asunra after a week...
so i got my blood test done on 30th jan....with Hb 7.1 n now its 6.8 just in a week:(

my serum ferritin level is the same at 2000...
now today morning i took Asunra..but it is already started irritating me....guess its not working with me:(

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2009, 06:34:26 PM »
Angela,

The rash does not mean that Asunra isn't working. It is a very common side effect of Asunra (Exjade) and usually disappears within 7-10 days. Danielle also had a bad rash and stopped until it cleared up. She was able to resume once the rash is gone. Did you cut the dose in half when you started again? I have known of one patient who could not use Exjade because the rash was so severe, but in most cases it does clear up. Have you used kelfer previously?
Andy

Offline anjjela

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2009, 03:14:11 PM »
Hi Andy,

i started having the same dose yesterday...but im going to cut the dose into 20mg/kg from tommorrow...n see if that doesn't react so much.
After an hour of having Asunra it starts itching all over my body...which is very irritating n i can feel the heat inside n then the patches also reappear...it gets better in a few hours n then again it starts itching at night:(....it seems to b a very strong medicine....im having more fluids now..thought that might help a bit too

Offline Dori

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2009, 05:06:41 PM »
Itching, interesting. I have gets only the feeling that my feet are sleeping. There starting to tingling in an hour and it comes from time to time back during the day. I never had it before without any reason.

Good luck with the new dosage!!!

Offline Zaini

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2009, 03:02:32 AM »
Anjjela,

Cutting the dose is the key,i hope it will work for you,once rash is disappeared you can gradually increase your dose.Good luck.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2009, 07:51:23 AM »
Angela,

This is the information from the Novartis site concerning the rash.

http://www.pharma.us.novartis.com/product/pi/pdf/exjade.pdf

Skin rashes may occur during Exjade (deferasirox) treatment. For rashes of mild to moderate severity,
Exjade may be continued without dose adjustment, since the rash often resolves spontaneously. In severe
cases, Exjade may be interrupted. Reintroduction at a lower dose with escalation may be considered in
combination with a short period of oral steroid administration.
Andy

Offline anjjela

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2009, 12:25:48 PM »
helloooz

Andy n Zaini baji thanx a lot for advicing me to cut down the dose of Asunra...i did so the very next day...n took only 20mg/kg...n its working :wink...im not having a rash now...n no itching either :thumbup....n thanku for the link Andy..though its a bit scary to go through it..  :noway

Peartree girl : ya it was an itching rash tht i had for sumtym as a reaction..n the tingling u felt under ur feet is wht i felt only the first 2 days when i started Asunra...but never after tht :jumping

i don't know if i should start taking 30mg/kg soon...or wait for sumtym :idunno

love n regards
angela

Offline Zaini

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2009, 01:48:27 PM »
Angela,

I am glad that low dose is working with you,i think you should keep going with the low dose for a month and then switch your dose to 25 mg/kg.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline anjjela

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2009, 05:46:50 PM »
thanku for d advice zaini baji...i'll follow it...hope this helps

one thing which is bothering me is tht i didn't go for any other tests like now i got to know abt sum serum creatinine, liver function, proteinuria and auditory & opthalmic tests....some of them i guess were suppose to be done before initiating the therapy:shy

angela

Offline Zaini

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2009, 06:50:32 PM »
Angela,

You should be checking at least Serum creatinine and SGPT levels regularly,as Asunra can effect liver and kidneys.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline anjjela

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2009, 09:32:09 AM »
Hello Zaini Baji :hugfriend

Thanx a lot for advicing these tests...i'll get these done

love n regards
angela

Offline anjjela

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2009, 02:40:04 PM »
Hii all

just got my blood reports :

unit                normal range
Hb                              7.8                   gm/dl
Creatinine                    0.41                  mg/dl               0.50 - 1.20
S G. P. T(ALT)            134.38                U/L                  0.0 - 40.0
Serum Ferritin              2,661                 ng/ml

i don't know much about Creatinine and SGPT........Hb is better and ferritin has raised much higher..
i guess having half a dose of Asunra is not helping reduce or maintain ferritin levels...should i get back to 30 mg/kg again...scared of reactions :-\

angela

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk