Unrelated Bone Marrow Transplant.

• 101 Replies

Offline KHALIFA

• ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE
Re: Unrelated Bone Marrow Transplant.
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2007, 02:39:21 AM »
Hi omega
    yes i have same problem with my son regard the WBC and also the PLT, RBC you will find out all these numbers one day up second day down so don't be upset because the new bone marrow is warking verey haqrd to improve it's self in the new body and try to destroy all the old bone marrow and all the old cells which the old bone marrow did it ,,for this reason you doughter have th GVHD and as i understand from Dr javed and Dr paola the old lemphosite cells try to fight with the new cells because the new cells need place to stay and the old cells try to protect it's place ...so for this reason your doughter have GVHD and there is three kind low risk of GVHD and medium risk of GVHD and bad one of GVHD who my son got it
i don't know how bad is your doughtr with the GVHD but as you explain to me she go to school that mean she is ok and what she have is verey mild GVHD ..so don't warry the old lempho.will desapear slowly ...
                                               khalifa
                                        state of kuwait
RED_PILOT

Offline omega

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2007, 05:39:01 AM »
Hi Khalifa
My daughter's has a class 3 GVHD, class 4 being the worst case, so she had quite a serious one. That was back to jul 06. The drugs seems to control it, but we're now reducing the drugs gradually and worry if GVHD would come back. The blood count seems to be ok now and we really hope this would continue.
Most of the sibling transplant cases here seems to encounter milder form of GVHD compared to the unrelated cases.
Is your child back to school? My daughter is wearing a mask and initially she felt a bit uneasy, but she get use to it now!
I hope your child would get the GVHD problem away soon. God bless you.
Thank you.

Offline KHALIFA

• ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2007, 05:58:57 AM »
no my son he can't go to school because as i told you he was in very bad GVHD and he have some deficulty movment related medrole.. so we have to wait until the medrole finish and imunity build up well..
                            khalifa
                     state of kuwait
RED_PILOT

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2007, 06:37:28 AM »
HIHIHIH OMEGA .....GUD  DAY TO U 

JUST TO LET U KNOW YES  WE  ARE LOOKING FORWRD TO  DO BMT FOR MY GAL   BUT I NEED  MORE INFO PLS.......YES  IM SEEING DOC LIN  IN SJMC

CUD U PLS  CON TACT US  AS WE  R IN KL  IF POSSIBLE

WILL BE  DOIN A HLA  TYPIN ON THE 18 OF THIS MONTH ... SO  IF POSSIBLE CUD U PLS  GIVE ME A CALL   ........   OREDI SEND U MY NUMBER ON UR PRIVATE MESSAGE .

AT THE SAME TIME  THERES  A FEW  QUESTION WHICH WE  ARE VERY EAGER TO FIND OUT
HOPEFULLY U CAN HELP US  OUT ...

a)   Where was the HLA typing being done? Dr Lin told us that the HLA typing can be done either in Singapore or US. Singapore is 3 times cheaper than US but the result at times not as good as if it is done in US. 
b)   How long have you been waited for the bond marrow search

c)   How compatible is the donor to you child ? How many matched antigen out of the 10 ?

TKS   

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2007, 12:32:15 PM »
hello Omega

In all the BMT that i read about, usually the patient stays in the hospital from 6 months to one year and even thet are kept in isolation rooms for not less than 3 months . How was your daughter able to her transplant in April 2006 and discharged in May 15 th 2006. Also need to know is it okay to go to school after this short time? Is wearning a mask enough for her especially he is a child and she may not know the importance of keeping it all the time at school.

Anyway, hope your daughter will be totally recoverd and enjoys all the happiness and health

Thanks
Manal

Offline omega

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2007, 10:02:56 PM »
Dear Manal
Bone Marrow Transplant here usually would be in the hospital for 1 to 3 months from day 0 it's all depends on the engraftment of the marrow and blood count. If anti're at a satisfactory level, the patient can be discharged from the hospital. Weekly blood test must be done after the discharge and if the doctor would keep a close watch on the GVHD. My daughter was re admitted 2 times due to the GVHD.
Her blood stabblised and she is back to school now with the mask. She knows what's going on and keep the mask at all time. The mask might not be 100% effective but at least there's some thing. In addition, the protection drugs help as well. Life has to go on!
Thank you.

Offline Manal

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2007, 01:47:20 AM »
Thanks Omega for the information. Send my greetings to your daughter and i wish her all the best.

Manal

Offline omega

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2007, 10:17:55 AM »
Dear All
Just got back from the weekly blood test for my daughter. I'm very please with the latest result, White Blood Count 5500, Platelet 100000 and Hb 13.2.The white count has finally gone up! Anti GVHD drugs has reduce to Cellcept and a small dose.
We are now seeing the doctor once every 2 weeks.

Offline Manal

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2007, 10:02:24 PM »
Congratulations Omega, so happy to know this wonderful news.

Keep it up

Manal

Offline omega

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2007, 10:53:37 PM »
Thank you very much Manal.
It was a big relieve and my heart was beating while sending the blood sample to the lab for blood test.
We're reducing the drugs, we're hoping for the best.:)

Offline omega

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2007, 02:52:14 AM »
Hi Everyone,

It has been a long time since my last update on my daughter's Unrelated BMT progress. Her blood count is all right now, HB has been 13.5-14.5, WBC 5000-8500 and platelet was ranging from 130000 to 145000 for the past 6 months. LFT test was ok but ALT is still fluctuating. She is on Cellcept only at this stage.

She encountered the skin GVHD in Feb this year and the doctor has to put her on prednisolone again and she finally stopped the drug on 30th July 2007. The doctor has given her an oral prednisolone for her to rinse her month because he suspected there was some evidence of oral GVHD in her month during our last check up in the hospital in mid August. She has improved since then.

She has been going to school since the beginning of the year and things has been ok except she is coughing at this stage. We have done an X-Ray on her lung and put her on pneumonia antibiotic and some cough syrup. She has improved and hope she will recover soon. She has to be admitted if she is fever for IV antibiotic (fear of bacteria in the blood) and we hope that will not happen.

Thank you.

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2007, 11:26:51 AM »
Hi Omega,

I am very happy to know that your daughter is doing well,wishing her health and joy in future.

LOVE ALWAYS, :hugfriend

ZAINI.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Manal

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2007, 11:54:48 AM »
I am so happy for you and your daughter Omega, you are such a caring good parent. Wish you all the luck in the coming months

Take care
Manal

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2007, 02:53:18 PM »
Hi,

Wishing you all the best.

Lots of love to your daughter.
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you