Study Finds Antioxidant Deficiency Linked To Pulmonary Hypertension

• 5 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Pulmonary Hypertension (PHT or PAH) is a major complication in thalassemia and a leading cause of death of thal majors. It has been linked to several causes and a new discovery may provide much insight into what is taking place and what can be done to help prevent PHT. I cannot over-emphasize the importance of antioxidants to thalassemics.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/122654.php

Study Finds Antioxidant Deficiency Linked To Pulmonary Hypertension
Main Category: Cardiovascular / Cardiology
Also Included In: Hypertension
Article Date: 24 Sep 2008 -

A recent study shows that a loss of antioxidants in the endothelial cells that line blood vessels in the lungs contributes to the loss of vasodilator effects and, ultimately, to the development of pulmonary hypertension. The findings appear in Clinical and Translational Science.

The study, led by Serpil Erzurum of the Cleveland Clinic, evaluated antioxidant activities in patients with idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension (IPAH), a fatal disease characterized by progressive increase in pulmonary artery pressure and vascular resistance.

Erzurum's study found that the inactivation of these oxidants inside the cell is achieved mainly by the cell's own line of defense against oxidants. Additionally, the researchers determined that this process may contribute to low levels of nitric oxide, identified in IPAH and a fundamental component in the pathogenesis of pulmonary hypertension.

According to Dr. Erzurum, there is a potential long-term benefit to the care of patients with IPAH due to the study's findings. "Antioxidant augmentation in patients might be used to increase nitric oxide vasodilator effects, reduce pulmonary artery pressures and potentially improve clinical outcomes," she said.

To view the abstract for this article, please click here.

Clinical and Translational Science (CTS) is the source for the most current and thought-provoking original research across the broad spectrum of clinical specialties and basic science. CTS highlights investigative work bridging the gap between laboratory discovery and practice. CTS discusses the state-of-the-science and strategies that will accelerate the assimilation of genomics and proteomics information into the clinic.

Wiley-Blackwell was formed in February 2007 as a result of the acquisition of Blackwell Publishing Ltd. by John Wiley & Sons, Inc., and its merger with Wiley's Scientific, Technical, and Medical business. Together, the companies have created a global publishing business with deep strength in every major academic and professional field. Wiley-Blackwell publishes approximately 1,400 scholarly peer-reviewed journals and an extensive collection of books with global appeal.

For more information on Wiley-Blackwell, please visit http://www.blackwellpublishing.com or http://interscience.wiley.com.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Re: Study Finds Antioxidant Deficiency Linked To Pulmonary Hypertension
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 07:40:07 AM »
Thank you Andy, this will definety make everyone keen not to skip a dose of the antioxidant

manal

Offline Annie

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 08:25:41 AM »
Thank you so much
Andy
I AM  SUFFERING FROM THALA MAJOR

Offline Ayesha

• Ayesha's Blog!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 09:02:26 AM »
antioxidants are? sorry am dumb!
-Ayesha

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 10:49:31 AM »
Antioxidant: A substance capable of protecting other substances from oxidation; some are made by the body to inhibit the destructive actions of chemicals called free radicals; some, such as vitamins C and E, are nutrients

i think i m guiding right ...

Antioxidant: Antioxidants are chemical substances that help protect against cell damage from free radicals. Well known antioxidants include vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, carotenoids, and flavonoids.

please correct me if i m guiding wrong ....
@ Ayesha
if you mean to know about the list of antioxidents  .. then please let me know i will try to find that ....

note : olives and olive oil are also antioxidants soo  add olive oil in your meal's recipe instead of cooking oil that usualy used in homes ...

Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 02:24:41 PM »
Ayesha,

Welcome to the dumb club  :rotfl i am the president :rotfl

Anyways what i get of antioxidants is that they secure your blood cells and organs from the damage done by free radicals,such as iron in your case.As thal majors have iron over load,iron is constantly present in their blood stream.

I hope i am right.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk