Eating regularly

• 11 Replies

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Eating regularly
« on: October 16, 2008, 11:09:24 PM »
Hey guys,

A few doctors have informed us that individuals with thalassemia (major, intermedia and minor) should eat regularly.  This means that they should not go longer than 2 - 3 hours between meals.  This is probably a good idea for everyone.  This sustains blood sugars levels and energy levels.  It is also a good idea to stay well hydrated, as thals are prone low blood pressure especially just before transfusions.  Eating and drinking regularly also helps avoid headaches and irritability. 

Most thals majors are aware that it helps to be well hydrated the night before a transfusion because it helps the nurses get the IV on quicker.  It also helps to show up with an extra layer of clothing, although you may feel very warm - it puffs up those veins and makes the pokes easier:)

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Eating regularly
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 11:37:55 PM »
Sharmin,

This is an issue that is very important and something that has concerned me greatly about thalassemics who choose to fast because of religious considerations. I have great respect for the beliefs of religions but I also want patients to understand that their religion does not require them to fast if there is a medical reason that would cause fasting to have potentially unsafe effects. I think this is particularly true of anyone who is diabetic or has a thyroid disorder. Personally, I don't think fasting is safe under these circumstances. When one takes insulin or thyroid replacement hormone, it is essential to take nourishment as these drugs act whether you have provided nourishment or not. From my own experience, and Manal and Puja witnessed this in Singapore, I cannot go for long periods without some food. I will suddenly begin to feel faint and if I don't eat I can get much worse rapidly. This is due to the large dose of thyroid replacement hormone I take daily. If I don't eat, the hormone's action is still going on and metabolism is stimulated even though there is no food to metabolize.

Not fasting is not a sin. Islam allows for alternative service such as feeding the poor if you cannot fast. No one should feel shame by this because the same God that requires your fast also created you, and you cannot serve God by harming your own body. I realize this is somewhat controversial to some and I don't mean to offend anyone, but I also don't want to see anyone have a sudden drop in blood sugar because they took insulin and didn't eat. In fact, I have wondered a lot if this contributed to the demise of our dear Sajid. Until now, I have remained fairly silent publicly about this because I don't want to offend anyone or even make any claim to understanding anyone's religion better than they, but I feel I must say something to advise people to never endanger their own health.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 01:22:54 AM »
Andy, you are completly right. In Islam, if for temporary medical resons you can not fastyou are allowed to eat and then fast those days later on, but id the medical condition is something chronic, and fasting will affect the health in a negative way, you are allowed to eat and feed a poor  for every day you weren't able to fast. If for financial reasons you are not able to feed a poor for everyday, at that time nothing will be needed to be done. You just have an excuse not to fast.

This fatwa is agreed upon in all over the Islamic world, not onlly this but you are sinful if you do something that deteriorate your health -- meaning fasting though  your doctor adviced you not to do so--  God likes his licenses to be taken or used ( actually this is a bad translation of Haddith but i mean that deteriorting one's health is not something that satisfay God )

This is not my opinion but it is what agreed upon in our religion, so Andy there is no offense

manal

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 02:27:59 AM »
Yes Manal is right,You are not forced to fast if you have a chronic medical condition,my own uncle doesn't fast since many years because he has kidney problems and he has to keep himself well hydrated.And Allah is very Merciful and Kind,HE has allowed this for the patients,and there is nothing shameful about it when a thing is allowed by Allah.Your body also has rights of it's own and you are supposed to take good care of your body.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline T @ r ! Q

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 03:58:12 AM »
I agree to all of you.

You are not supposed to push yourself for fasting, religions aren't supposed to be tough.
Normally i eat and drink water a lot, infact i keep on thinking about my lunch in office :rotfl  :rotfl

But let me share my experience with fasting, normally i cannot go out in the morning without a good breakfast, and also if i for some reason delay my lunch, i start feeling my energy level going down. But when i fast in Ramadan, i don't feel hunger, thirst or weakness at all. This Ramadan while fasting, i spent 8-10 hours in office, but miraculously i still felt fresh. And i am thankful to Allah for that.

But again, if fasting can harm your health, don't even think about fasting. Because Allah knows it all, your situation is not hidden from Him.

Falling down is not defeat... Defeat is when you refuse to get up...
The one who kneels to Allah, can standup to anything.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 05:53:48 AM »
This question about fasting is one that has concerned me for 5 years and I have frequently asked thals if they are fasting during Ramadan, specifically thals who are on medications that affect metabolism or sugar levels. To my surprise, I learned that the majority do observe fasting as much as they find possible. This has troubled me because these conditions and drugs do require the patient to take regular nourishment, and I have been very concerned that patients on these drugs may be putting themselves in some danger by abstaining from food and drink for so many hours at one time. I would advise all diabetics and thyroid patients to talk to their doctors and ask if fasting is safe for them before deciding to do it on their own. Sudden drops in sugar levels should not be risked.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline maryo0m

• ---SPREAD UR WINGS AND FLY---
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 05:26:14 AM »
Thats interesting here but personally I do fast the whole month of ramadan and I dont have any problems seriously  :dunno

But I have to say , after ramadan I do put my self on intensive vitamin and vegitables scedual so I have everything back on track :biggrin
------------Spread your wings and fly-----------

Offline Dori

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 01:34:10 PM »
A few doctors have informed us that individuals with thalassemia (major, intermedia and minor) should eat regularly.  This means that they should not go longer than 2 - 3 hours between meals.  This is probably a good idea for everyone.  This sustains blood sugars levels and energy levels.  It is also a good idea to stay well hydrated, as thals are prone low blood pressure especially just before transfusions.  Eating and drinking regularly also helps avoid headaches and irritability.

Zaini mentioned this in Cherieann's topic. It made me think about what I should eat every two a three hours. Can someone give me an idea how they manage to let the patient eat so many times a day? It seems very difficult to me. I still got problems with drinking regular. That is a bit complicated when you are a student who (wants) to travel 90 minutes to school and dont want to take so much with her and believes the stores are expensive. So with tips I may can transform into a better caring person for myself. Thank you, Dore

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 09:10:07 AM »
@ Just Kidding :
It seems very difficult to me. I still got problems with drinking regular. That is a bit complicated when you are a student who (wants) to
in many countries Drinking is prohibited for the students or the people under the age of 18  ....
it doesn't matter that you're a student and want to or not but as i know in europe, people underage of 18 not alowed to drink , so please stop .....  :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

travel 90 minutes to school
yeah , i think its dificult to get reached to school on time after drinking, soo another reason ...

It made me think about what I should eat every two a three hours. Can someone give me an idea how they manage to let the patient eat so many times a day?
you can eat anyone's brain as a snack between to main meals ... keep asking something  or saying something out of topic, ( as i m doing ) its world's best snack ..
Precautions :
examin carefuly bfore eating someone brain , bcoze some people keep's their brain in their ankles to avoid any kind of robery or brain eating type of situation ... once my cousin tried to eat my brain and then after he ate alot, he got to know that i hasn't the brain in his skull ( i has only dried grass ), he said  to me  " i think your brain is somewhere  in your ankle " to that time i got to know how we can save our brain to other ( by keeping it near ankle ) .... .ehehheehhe  :grin I LOVE TO EAT BRain of otherz , its quit fun , all  you have to do is to make an innocent shape of your face and then ask , as you dont know ...

Wat a Bad jokes these was ,,, m i right na ??? ... its not my fault , i dont have any other activity to kill my time thats why ............................................... i assure's you that i will delet this pst realy soon ,, bcoze its out of topic :grin till then bye

Umair
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 09:23:16 AM by nice friend »
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 09:57:40 AM »
Laughing now and then is not prohibited Umair  :)

Dore,

Do you take your meals regularly on time? Plus i think you can carry an apple or a banana or even if you like veggies? By 90 minutes you mean 90 minutes for going and 90 minutes for coming back ??? 
You are on exjade ,it's necessary for you to be drinking lots of water,please keep reminding yourself that you have to drink a lots of water.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 10:15:27 AM »
well , now i m a little serious about the topic ,... tip from my side is to take Cookies/Biiscuits in your hand bag ... when-ever i plan to go out of city i always prepare a bag of biscuits/cookies :P and a few more sweet thing to take in emergency ( in state of hypoGlycemia  [low BSL ]) ..... soo having biscuits or fruits is a god idea ... :P ...

Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Dori

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 06:11:19 PM »
@ Just Kidding :in many countries Drinking is prohibited for the students or the people under the age of 18  ....
it doesn't matter that you're a student and want to or not but as i know in europe, people underage of 18 not alowed to drink , so please stop .....  :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Umair

Hehehe, in Dutch we use that word for both types.

But you are wrong! You can drink alcohol in the Netherlands when you are 16. Harder alcohol stuff at the age of 18yr.

I was 15yr when I started, but stopped at 17yr :shy Since then I have not drink a drop of it. Not even during New Year.

These are good ideas. Fruit is still difficult, because I am allergic for bananas and also for apples. But it seems that my stomach restarted to accept apples again. We have dinner at regular times, but it is very difficult for lunch. I have often lectures during lunch time. And at the mornings I do not wake up at the same time all days long and sometimes I dont want to make breakfast... But I know I should try to get the meals at regular times.

Umair, I do remember it now again. Last year I carry always a sac with nuts with me. Cookies is pretty difficult. I dont take always my big little suit on wheels with me (law books are heavy).  i mean cookies will come out of my bag as crumble.

Dore
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 06:18:57 PM by Peartree Girl »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk