Blood Donation - Abstract from Singapore Conference

• 1 Replies

Offline Maako

Blood Donation - Abstract from Singapore Conference
« on: October 18, 2008, 02:31:44 AM »
Hi all,

I am not sure if this is where this goes..

But this is an abstract of the presentation by Professor Constantina Politis (greece), on How to encourage voluntary blood donation, Myths and beliefs of Blood Giving.

The safest donors are said to be voluntary unpaid donors characterised by "safe" behaviour and having high ethical and social values, while paid donors tend to be at higher risks for hepatitis, HIV and other infections.

Replacement Donors: Individuals recrutied by patients (from family and friends), may not be sade as truly volunteer donors, because they are more likely to be first time and may give blood under pressure. Hence, they maybe hiding lifestyle activities and medical reasons.

Methods for encouraging voluntary unpaid blood donation: Requires scientific approach based on systametic surveys for donor motivation, reasons not to donate blood and expertise in communication, ethics, psychology, social marketing , organization and logistics.

Donor recruiters responsibilities: Understand how the public and present potential donors feel about blood giving. Investigate what motivates or demotivates people to donate blood so that motivation campaigns can be arranged to address any issue.

Myths and beliefs: Existing myths and beliefs for not giving blood mainly derive from : lack of appropriate donor information, motivation programs, mass media communication, socio-economic conditions and organizational difficulties.

Main reasons for not giving blood according to studies in Greece: Fear of procedure (21%), Discovery of serious illness (25%), Not being informed (18%) and Not interested (18%). 34.9% of people believe it is possible to catch aids by donating blood (even in 2006).

Basic steps for action plans in recruitment: research, planning, formulation strategies, objectives, analysis, target market identification (such as youth, women...etc), educaition campaign and evaluation of impact of education and marketing.

Key factors affecting donor motivation: level of care in donor clinics and how satisfied donors are with the process, efficiency of services provided and feeling that donor's opinions are heard.

Blood donor retention strategies: partnership between donors, commitment, social recognition (give recognition to donors, make them feel that they are doing something valuable, sharing information, anniversaries (invite them to anniversaries and occassions celebrated by you or your association if possible), thanking letters, working together (involve them in donor recruitment programs.

Best examples she mentioned are: Young Ambassadors, Club 25 (check this club out, they are doing a good job at this), scouts, athletic organisations, The West Bengalis, Thalassemia Associations.

Am not sure how far this info will help anyone, but anyways..

I will be posting more on topics i have all the info the doctors talked about... am sorry if i get a bit late in the conveying part.. but pls be patient and wait for it:D.. if anyone have any questions, pls ask, will try to explain as best as i can..

love always..
Maako

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: Blood Donation - Abstract from Singapore Conference
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 09:04:30 PM »
Thanks Maako

That was very informative:) 
Sharmin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk