Canker Sores

• 43 Replies

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
Re: Canker Sores
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2009, 10:59:51 PM »
Sharmin,
i m sorry to hear that Lil-A is in pain again here a few links about home remedie for canker sores :

http://www.natural-homeremedies.com/homeremedies_canker_sores.htm

http://www.homeremedycafe.com/canker-sore-remedy.htm

http://www.remedyforcankersores.com/index.htm

I hope these links will be helpful for you to cope with that ..

Best of luck , Health and everything lil-A , hope you will b fine soon , always praying for you little-Star ....

Best Regard &
Best Wishes
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2009, 11:20:32 PM »
Check the list of foods at this site and also check little A's toothpaste to make sure it does not contain sodium lauryl sulfate.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/canker-sore/DS00354/DSECTION=causes

Certain foods, particularly chocolate, coffee, strawberries, eggs, nuts, cheese and highly acidic foods, such as pineapple

Keeping a diary of all he eats and looking for a relationship between a specific food and an outbreak of canker sores may be of some help.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2009, 11:49:41 PM »
Thank you Umair and Andy. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Dori

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2009, 01:45:05 PM »
Thats not the news I wanted to hear. I hope the pain will leave him soon!!!

Take care Little Mister A.!!!!

Best wishes, Dore

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
Sharmin,

Have you asked Dr Vichinsky about that problem ?

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Dori

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2009, 06:20:51 PM »
I might have told you this before. Canker sores are a wellknow side effect of some chemotherapy drugs. I have read once an article of treatment.there is medication for it. I will try to refind it. You ask it on other forums. You have no idea where it comes from? It's not that nasty virus that you can not beat? I mean it comes up a few times a year and for the rest is it like it doesn't exist...?

Hope he feels better soon!

Offline maha

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2009, 01:25:45 PM »
Hi Sharmin
Have you ever tried applying glycerine on the sores. It really gives instant relief and disappears in two days time. Usually a B-complex settles the matter but he is already on one and you do make sure he is adequately hydrated. I hope the little guy feels better soon.

maha

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2009, 02:05:47 PM »
Hi Sharmin,
How is Lil-A i hope he will be doing fine ... here are some quoets and links related to the canker sores ...

For Coplete Article :  http://hubpages.com/hub/Mouth-ulcers
Application of raw honey on canker sores, blisters and mouth ulcers have been scientifically shown to reduce further inflammation. Furthermore massaging the gums with coconut milk and honey several times during the day also helps. Washing mouth with warm water with salt, application of "Bicarbonate of Soda" or alum on the ulcer, drinking beer or cranberry juice and the application of cider vinegar are all homemade remedies for curing and preventing further abscesses of mouth ulcer.

Modern medicine recommends antihistamines, antacids, corticosteroids and other soothing measures on the surface of the ulcer.

Hummm... i think its nothing harmfull to try , and i also think i found something usefull :grin i m really happy now :grin .. i hope it will relieve/ease the pain of Little-A , God Bless You Buddy , ..

Also check this list of medicines for mouth sores :http://www.globalrph.com/mouthlip.htm

About Canker sores & prevention : for Complete article
http://pinoydental.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=78&Itemid=124
Prevention

Oral and dental measures
Regular use of mouthwash may help prevent or reduce the frequency of the sores.[14]
In some cases, switching toothpastes can prevent mouth ulcers from occurring with research looking at the role of sodium dodecyl sulfate (sometimes called sodium lauryl sulfate, or simply SLS), a detergent found in most toothpastes. Using toothpaste free of this compound has been found in several studies to help reduce the amount, size and recurrence of ulcers,[15][16] but not in all studies.[17]
A few individuals have noticed that switching to a toothpaste with baking soda prevented recurrence of mouth ulcers.[citation needed]
Some people have reported that the frequency of mouth ulcer occurrences decreased greatly after a particularly large amalgam tooth filling was replaced by some other kind of dental restoration.[citation needed] However, the connection between amalgam fillings and mouth ulcers is not universally accepted, and such replacement can be costly.
Dental braces are a common physical trauma that can lead to mouth ulcers and can be treated with wax to reduce abrasion of the mucosa. Avoidance of other types of physical and chemical trauma will prevent some ulcers, but since such trauma is usually accidental, this type of prevention is not usually practical.
Take caution when brushing or flossing teeth, and be extra careful when using a toothpick.

Nutritional therapy
Zinc deficiency has been reported in people with recurrent mouth ulcers.[18]The few small studies looking into the role of zinc supplementation have mostly reported positive results particularly for those people with deficiency,[19][20]although some research has found no therapeutic effect.[21]
Julian Whitaker, M.D., founder and president of the Whitaker Wellness Center in Newport Beach, California, says that eating at least four tablespoons of yogurt daily can prevent outbreaks.[22] He notes that the yogurt must contain active Lactobacillus acidophilus cultures. (If the yogurt contains these cultures, it will say so on the label.)
Many people have found that taking Lysine-L supplements can help to reduce the frequency of mouth ulcer appearances and speed the healing of those that do occur.[citation needed]
Likewise, abstaining from arginine (lysine's counterpart), which is found in chocolate and nuts, can prevent an outbreak.[citation needed]
The presence of bacterially infected ulcers could be a symptom of intestinal bacterial imbalance.[citation needed] Probiotic supplements or 'good bacteria' found in food like yogurt will treat this condition.[citation needed]

Alternative medicine
Chinese medicine points to one's diet or emotions as potential causes of such symptoms of 'heat in the mouth.'[citation needed]

Greasy/fried foods or 'energetically hot' food (for example: spicy food, alcohol, potato chips) may also trigger mouth ulcers. Some claim that certain emotions, such as anger, frustration, resentment, or stress, can also impede the proper flow of one's energy and create 'heat' in the body, with such manifestations as mouth ulcers, red eyes, sore throats, insomnia, or constipation. In order to neutralize this 'hot energy' certain 'energetically cool' foods such as herbal teas and certain fruits and vegetables must be consumed. Some other examples of such 'cooling' foods include coconut juice (surprisingly the kernel is opposite and is classified 'hot'), mung bean soup, and ginseng tea

For complete article :
http://www.eugene-or.gov/healthierathome/p346-348%20Mouth%20Sores.htm
Self-Care / Prevention
To Treat Canker Sores

Mix 1/2 teaspoon salt in 1 cup of warm water. Rinse the mouth with an ounce of this mixture 4 times a day. Don’t swallow the water.

Put ice on the canker sore. Suck on a frozen popsicle.

Avoid spicy foods and acidic drinks like citrus juices.

Use over-the-counter products, like Anbesol, Blistex, and aloe vera gel.

Swish Mylanta or milk of magnesia around the mouth to coat the sore. Then spit the medicine out.

Take an over-the-counter pain medicine as directed.

To Help Prevent Canker Sores
Avoid things that injure or irritate the mouth, such as hot drinks and sharp objects.

Use a toothbrush with soft bristles. Use a toothpaste without sodium lauryl sulfate. Don’t brush too hard.

Take vitamins and minerals as advised by your doctor

Also Check this carefully :
http://dentistry.about.com/od/basicdentalcare/f/cankertreatment.htm

i hope all this will help you , and sorry for a long post ...

Best Regards
Tak Care
Umair

Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Dori

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2009, 04:22:24 PM »
I am sorry, I can't refind the info but I am happy to see that others can really help you.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2009, 01:42:50 AM »
Umair, Dore, Maha, Zaini,
Thank you all so much for the info.  It means so much  :hugfriend

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline jade

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2009, 06:36:30 AM »
Hi there

I hope you are all fine.  Are canker sores same as Herpes?  This virus remains in the body constantly and whenever there is a drop in immunity, it manifests itself through blisters and these blisters are highly infectious (should avoid touching them).  Otherwise the virus remains dormant until the next drop in immunity.

Take care
Jade

Offline maha

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2009, 10:11:28 AM »
Hi Jade
Canker sores are more commonly known as mouth ulcers. Herpes is more like chicken pox, only more painful and severe.

maha

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2009, 03:51:26 PM »
Herpes simplex are cold sores that one gets on the mouth. They are not related to canker sores.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Dori

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2009, 08:12:02 PM »
I have heard and read about a new remedy: (High dosage of) Vitamine E!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk