SUPPLEMENTS FOR CHILDREN

• 106 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: SUPPLEMENTS FOR CHILDREN
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2009, 07:53:11 PM »
Vitamin K is involved in building bone so that is why you see it in calcium supplements. There is also a test for vitamin K, so when it is suspected that there is bone loss, it should probably also be checked. However, vitamin K is something that can be found in the diet and even many multi-vitamins, so extra supplements are usually not needed. My concern would be about getting too much K, which might be a problem for thals who tend to have clotting issues.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Dori

« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2009, 10:06:49 AM »
But vitamin K leaves the body pretty fast. That's why you must try to get it daily. Right?

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2009, 03:35:15 PM »
My concern would be about getting too much K, which might be a problem for thals who tend to have clotting issues.

Thank you Andy, that makes sense. 

Dore,  I am thinking that the amount of vitamin K thals need is readily available from food - any extra in the form of supplement only puts them at risk for blood clots.  I am guessing that this may apply to you as well, but I am not sure  ???  I hope you are doing well - and that your dad is doing well also  :hugfriend

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2009, 11:21:14 PM »
Now that I've had some more time to read about vitamin K I will comment more.

It is almost impossible to take too much vitamin K, except with infants. It does not stay in the body long and the only danger is if you are on anticoagulant drugs like warfarin, because it can negate the effect of the drug. High amounts of vitamin K will not cause clotting issues, so that isn't a problem to be concerned about. Vitamin K does contribute to bone health but like everything else, it needs vitamin D to work properly. Vitamin K is found in green leafy foods and vegetable oils and should be sufficient in the diet, but realistically, is this true? Not only don't we eat enough of the green vegetables, but thals are often advised to avoid these very foods because of their iron content, even though thals are seldom told to avoid meat which has a much more readily absorbed form of iron. The body does have a mechanism for recycling vitamin K so this is another factor that helps prevent deficiency. I think thals who have shown to have any bone loss would be advised to up their intake of vitamin K, either through foods or supplements.
Andy

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2009, 11:28:28 PM »
Thank you Andy this is very interesting

manal

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2009, 12:09:39 AM »
One thing about this ongoing topic of nutrients is that the understanding of them is advancing and many of the prior notions were wrong. For example, we were always warned about taking too much of fat soluble vitamins like A, D and E. Now we know that vitamin D can be taken in huge amounts without any negative result, vitamin E can be taken in doses up to 1000 IU daily without concerns and only vitamin A is one that should be kept in lower doses.

Another note about vitamin K and bones, is that there is a possibility that it is really vitamin D that causes the bone gain. Vitamin K may be a factor but it is vitamin D that makes it work.

And on the subject of vitamin D, it is really something of a natural hormone and is a receptor in the body and it is needed for many other nutrients to be used by the body. Without sufficient D receptors, many nutrients cannot be absorbed in quantities necessary for bodily functions. It isn't only plants that need sunshine to survive. Our bodies are made to run with plenty of sunshine-provided vitamin D and it is needed for a multitude of bodily functions.
Andy

Offline Dori

« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2009, 02:30:50 PM »
Hi, I meant that each human should try to eat a bit of salad (green leaf?) daily with a bit of oil to help the body to absorb vit K better. Do not use vinegar  ecause that makes it more difficult for your body. This is told to me by a very intelligent ladies whose source were scientics article and books about hemochromatose.Ach,there is so much left to learn. I still have the plan to order some books about this medical field. I'm glad to be here in because our future looks pretty bright :) wed I will attend the Dutch Day of Rare Diseases, and most of those other attendees have progressive diseases. It breaks your heart.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Selenium
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2009, 03:58:35 PM »
Andy,

I purchased selenium for lil A - and gave him his first pill today.  (Natural Factors, Selenium 50mcg).

Recommended Use: selenium is a factor in the maintenance of healthy body cells and tissues and acts as an antioxidant for the maintenance of good health.

Caution: consult a heatlh care practitioner prior to use if you have a history of non-melanoma skin cancer.  For adult use only.  Keep out of reach of children.

Should this be a concern for thal patients, in terms of abnormal cell growth etc?  This is not something I really understand.

Sharmin

« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 04:03:47 PM by Sharmin »
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2009, 04:49:46 PM »
This would not appear to have any particular relevance to thalassemics and the warning is strictly aimed at those who have a pre-existing history of non-melanoma skin cancers. However, a review of the study this is based on shows that this warning is a knee jerk reaction to findings that there was a marginal increase of repeat skin cancer in those in the study who took selenium. Even though this marginal finding was not statistically relevant, the news media and apparently, the over-reactive Canadian Health Authority took off with this NOT significant result and tried to scare people away from selenium use. A cynic might conclude that this is intentional as many studies have actually shown that selenium reduces the cancer rate in those who have a high dietary intake of selenium. These findings were not marginal and showed selenium to be of value in preventing MOST types of cancer. Furthermore, recent studies using mice, suggest that selenium may reduce incidence of melanomas. In addition, the researcher who ended a long term study of selenium in 1996 that showed its value in preventing cancer, disagreed with some of the techniques used in the later study and suggests that environmental sources of selenium and other metals (ie. industrial pollution) may have more to do with the observed rates of skin cancer recurrence in the subjects in the latter study. This warning is not found on selenium supplements in the US.

I would also like to point out that many studies are doomed to failure because of their poor design. I would like to point to a  much publicized study showing that selenium and vitamin E did not prevent prostate cancer. One look at the study tells me it was intentionally designed to fail, as the vitamin E chosen for the study was dl-alpha tocopherol, the synthetic version of vitamin E which has little if any value. D-alpha tocohperol is the natural form and many studies have steered clear of using this and instead used the dl version which is actually a by-product of the film industry (good for Kodak at one time, but of extremely questionable value to the health).

Selenium is one of the trace elements recommended by Dr Vichinsky for thals and its value is not in doubt. Doses of 50-200 mcg daily are recommended.
Andy

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2009, 04:52:53 PM »
Thanks a lot Andy,

I am glad that I have started giving lil A selenium. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2009, 11:07:36 PM »
Sharmin, take care that when you start the Chewable Osteocare, it already has Selenium  50 mcg

manal

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2009, 11:50:20 PM »
Thanks Manal,  I will remember that  :hugfriend
Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2009, 02:31:01 AM »
Andy & all others,
as Vit-K help's body for clotting, i sugested vit-K rich vegies to my cousin who is a Heamophilia patient (factor 8) , i sugest him both type of kale/cauliflowers and lettuce like vegies a few months ago .. then recently i found Vitamin-K supplement at my chemist's shop . i want to ask .. it will b safe for my cousin to take that vitamin-K supplemment daily ( GNC Brand ), or only when bleeding start's ....  i think that it will be good for im to use that supplement .and thats why i have told my aunt to ask his doctor for that , .. there is nothing to think worry in giving that to him except my only concern that is cloting in veins ... i hope to get answer very soon :)

Best Regards
TAke Care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2009, 04:25:35 AM »
Hemophilia is not related to vitamin K deficiency, but some feel that a  benefit may be found by supplying the body with the nutrients involved in building blood and maintaining the circulatory system. Vitamin K, Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamin C, and Vitamin B complex are all essential for normal blood coagulation, formation, and clotting. So, it won't hurt and may help with his overall blood health if he takes some supplements.
Andy

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2009, 10:21:20 AM »
Andy ,
Thank you for a detailed reply , he ( my cousin who is a Haemophilia patient  ) is having a bruise over his arm in result of strucked with something ,  he is around 10-12 years old , i red somewhere that Vit-C is good for bruises bcoze bruise are the indication of damaged blood vessel under skin ( something like that ) so i think he should have to take these supplements especially vit-k bcoze it help's body to proper cloting... question is : is he can take vit-k daily or only when he get hurt or when bleeding  start's ???

Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk