teething

• 6 Replies

Offline zahra

teething
« on: November 16, 2008, 10:20:57 AM »
Hi everybody. My son is now six months old and has just got his fifth tooth. My other two kids didnt have any tooth until they were seven and a half months old. I was just wondering if this could be because of the possible expansion of jaw bones in thalassemia. When does that start? He hasnt had a transfusion yet though his Hb is being monitored since he was two months old and has stayed between 7 and 8. Really dont know if he is major or intermediate yet but I thought this is where I could find out if others had a similar experience. Thanks for being here so i can ask.
Zahra

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Re: teething
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 11:44:09 AM »
Hi Zahra,

Teething in particular is different from one child to the other in the same family whether a thal or non thal. Babies can start teething very early ( this happened with my son, he had his first two teeth very clear when he was 4 months!!!  :biggrin) and they can be late as a year or more. In both cases the baby is normal whether a thal or non thal. This  variation is because the babies' bodies tend to concentrate in one or two things more than others. I mean that usually babies who start teething early, walk a little bit late than the normal and vice versa. Other times, other babies who teeth and talk early , walk later and so on.

It is like the baby has 4 or 5 things to accomplish for example (like talking, walking, teething, motor skiils....) usually he concentrates on one or two things then starts the other things.

That is why we always have time range for everything the baby has to accomplish and during this time range the baby is considered normal. For example, if the baby is not able to express himself in words until the age of three ( mind you that i am talking about expressing himself NOT aout understanding what is being told to him ), this is considered normal ,but you start to seek medical help if this continous after the age of 3.

As for the teeth, the ideal age ( or as they say by the book ) for having the first two teeth is at the age of 6 month which is the case of your baby. So that is the ideal. 

As for the expansion of the jaws, it does not happen in that early stage unless the the hb is really very low for a long time to start seeing bone deformity.

To give you some comfort,my son had all his teeth by the age of 10 month and he is now 6 years with a low hb of  6.6 and till now --- thanks to God-- the dentist each year tells me that his jaws are completly normal

Hope this help, please feel free to ask any other thing

manal
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 11:50:50 AM by Manal »

Offline zahra

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 12:44:30 PM »
Hi Manal,
Thank you so much for your prompt and comforting reply.
Zahra

Offline Manal

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 10:42:40 PM »
Zahra, you are most welcome :hugfriend

manal

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 11:01:15 PM »
Hi,
My daughter is  8 months, she got her first tooth this week and she started crawling 1 month back.

best wishes.

Offline Manal

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 12:14:39 AM »
Congratulations hopefulmommy, wish her a happy and healthy life with your care and love :hugfriend

manal

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 04:20:28 AM »
Thank you so much.

She is blessed that mommy knows this wonderful Thalpal family and values all the love, wishes and advices.

best wishes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk