pseudo ephedrine

• 3 Replies

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
pseudo ephedrine
« on: November 14, 2008, 12:14:13 AM »
Andy,

Certain countries are banning products containing pseudo ephedrine - I personally cannot take these products because they make my heart race.  I also understand that they tend to have high contraindications with other medications.  I also think that these meds can cause back up congestion making the original condition for which they are taken worse. 

Am I right in thinking this? 

Thanks,
Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: pseudo ephedrine
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 03:28:58 AM »
Rhinitis Medicamentosa, or rebound congestion is an occasional adverse effect caused by use of topical nasal decongestants. This would not include pseudoephedrine. However, pseudoephedrine is a stimulant and should be used with care. In the US, medicines containing pseudoephedrine are only sold from behind the counter and the buyer's personal information is recorded along with quantity of medicine purchased, because pseudoephedrine is used in the manufacture of the illegal drug, methamphetamine. As you mentioned, pseudoephedrine reacts with many other drugs and because it is a stimulant, it can also raise the heartbeat. My doctor prohibits me from taking anything containing pseudoephedrine because I am on thyroid replacement hormone.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682619.html

What special precautions should I follow?   

Before taking pseudoephedrine,

* tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to pseudoephedrine, any other medications, or any of the inactive ingredients in the pseudoephedrine product you plan to take. Check the package label for a list of the ingredients.
    * do not take pseudoephedrine if you are taking a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam, Zelapar), and tranylcypromine (Parnate), or if you have stopped taking one of these medications within the past 2 weeks.
    * tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements, and herbal products you are taking or plan to take. Be sure to mention medications for diet or appetite control, asthma, colds, or high blood pressure.
    * tell your doctor if you have or have ever had high blood pressure, glaucoma (a condition in which increased pressure in the eye can lead to gradual loss of vision), diabetes, difficulty urinating (due to an enlarged prostate gland), or thyroid, or heart disease. If you plan to take the 24-hour extended-release tablets, tell your doctor if you have had a narrowing or blockage of your digestive system.
    * tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while taking pseudoephedrine, call your doctor.
    * if you are having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking pseudoephedrine.
    * if you have phenylketonuria (PKU, an inherited condition in which a special diet must be followed to prevent mental retardation), you should know that the chewable tablets may be sweetened with aspartame, a source of phenylalanine.

What special dietary instructions should I follow? 

Foods and drinks that contain large amounts of caffeine can make the side effects of pseudoephedrine worse.

What side effects can this medication cause?   

Pseudoephedrine may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

* restlessness
    * nausea
    * vomiting
    * weakness
    * headache

Some side effects can be serious. If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:

* nervousness
    * dizziness
    * difficulty sleeping
    * stomach pain
    * difficulty breathing
    * fast, pounding or irregular heartbeat

Pseudoephedrine may cause other side effects. Call your doctor if you have any unusual problems while you are taking this medication.

I would suggest that thals use pseudoephedrine with caution and under a doctor's supervision. The effect on the heart would indicate caution should be taken.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 04:09:17 AM »
Thanks Andy,

I am also on synthroid, which is probably why I experience rapid heart beat when I use anything with pseudoephedrine.  I agree,
thals should avoid these drugs completely. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Smurfette

• Me and my Goddaughter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 11:14:16 AM »
Hello Sharmin,

Pseudoephedrine is a behind the counter here in sydney australia now, alot of people were extracting the ephedrine to make drugs from it... You have to show identity and even a doctors prescription too at times..

As Andy said alot of people who have heart problems and who are on anti depressants should avoid pseudoephedrine, it can alter their effect...

Thals can take it, but should be used with caution, I have used it, and it does keep you awake, when you take too late of the afternoon..

Some thals should avoid it, pending on their status of their heart!!!

Have a nice day all

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk