which thal form do i have?

• 3 Replies
which thal form do i have?
« on: November 17, 2008, 11:19:35 PM »
Hi.
I am from Germany and it seems that i have Thalassemia,too.I went to the doctor last week to make a full blood test and he told me,that my blood cells are to small.That would be Thalassemia,but which form he doesn't know. :dunno My father is also on the thalassemia train... :wink
I have got a zinc overload, a copper and magnesium deficiency.Is there any connetion between to much zinc and thalassemia?I always thought that thals need more zinc than others.

Here are my results.

hb 14,1 (14-17)
MCH 19,8 (27-33)
MCV microzyt.
Ery 7,1 (4,5-5,9)
Ht 47 (41-51)
Ferritn 171 (28-400)
Iron 1,59 (0,80-1,50)
Mg 31,44 (34-36)
Cu 0,99 (1,10- 1,20)
Zn 9,26 (7,30-7,70)

What do you think?Can this be minor,intermedia or minima?Thank you so much

By the way here is a study about magnesium status in Beta Thal rats. I found it really interesting http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=2767209
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 11:31:44 PM by ParkerLewis »

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Re: which thal form do i have?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 01:57:09 AM »
Hi ParkerLewis and welcome to the site :welcomewagon

Definetly you are not an intermedia since your Hb is 14. Since iron deficiency is ruled out, you are a thal minor / you are a carrier of the trait ( Hb electophoresis test is the test to determine whether you are a thal or not )

The term minima is a recent classification and it is given to minors who do not have symptoms in order to distinguish them from people who have or carry the trait and hve symptoms like numbness, short breath, fatigue, low Hb, spleen enlargment....) but it is not widely used. The most important thing in knowing that you are a minor/minima is that you have to ake sure that your partner does not have the trait too in order to avoid having a major child

Please feel free to ask whatever you like

manal

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 04:22:36 AM »
Hi Parker Lewis,

Thals are more likely to be deficient in zinc. Have you taken zinc supplements or eaten oysters often? Or worked around products that contain a lot of zinc, such as insecticides? Zinc toxicity will also be seen as a copper deficiency, so the source of the excess zinc needs to be found.

A hemoglobin electrophoresis would be able to confirm if you are a thalassemia carrier. It looks like you are from some of the levels but I think confirming this is thal would be wise.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 05:14:53 AM »
Hi ParkerLewis ,
 :welcome to the Family , may you will find all the answer of your concerns , her on this forum ...

Best Regards
Take care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk